collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are you working on? (Custom MH projects)  (Read 6825 times)

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What are you working on? (Custom MH projects)
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »
Stalking everybody's projects :biggrin:

I am currently working on (since December) a set of 7 jackalope customs. So far, all the ears are sculpted, painted, more or less flocked, and one head is rehaired. Another is juust started, and one is halfway to being rehaired, but I am almost out of the color I'm using, and need to order more.

I really want to see your jackalopes, DoomBunnies! I love jackalopes XD Will you post a pic of them so far?

I am planning to make a goblin out of my werewolf CaM, who's been in pieces for ages, once I've decided on a wig. I'm not much of a customizer so really all I'm going to do is stick her ears in sideways :P I figure I'll cut the ear clips off and then make holes in the sides of her head (below the wig line) for the pegs, and use a drop of glue to secure them once they're in. Those who've done this, I'd love to hear your best way to pierce the correct size holes in the noggin?
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 03:16:31 PM »
I'm still in the beginning stage of my first rerooting of my OC plant girl. Just need to get some hair.

Since we're in a thread about Customs, Let me hijack the thread for a quick moment:

What kinda hair material does what? I know it's been mentioned a few times but I can't remember what I read.

Kanekalon = no kinks or bends in hair, but shrivels and afroed when boil straightened
Nylon = Can only be styled straight and not boil permed/straightened
Saran = Can easily be styled with high temperature

I need to decide the right texture for her so please correct me if it's off, I need to know what does what.

And how much hair from who fills a whole MH head?? The hair style I'm going for is just about lower than the shoulder, about going down to her bust.

You have Nylon mixed up with Saran. :) Saran is straight only. It cannot be easily boil permed. If you do get it to curl, the curls generally fall out. Nylon curls tend to last a very very long time. Nylon is the same hair that MLP has. Saran often has a slick, almost oily feel to it.
-snip-
Thankies for that! now I have to decide if I want nylon or Saran...She'd have a long bob cut, but don't know if I want her to have curled ends like Spectra's design or just a straight bob...the slick, almost oily texture would match her characteristics so well. :hmm: so many decisions but so little options. :huh:
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 03:26:07 PM »
Okay, SO much awesomeness in this thread.  I can't wait to see the ideas listed here come to fruition!!  And as for the WiP shots...WOW!  Alice looks amazing!  And that blonde Clawdeen is absolutely gorgeous!  Those colors look amazing on her!  I was worried about my dolls not looking right since I chose nylon for their hair instead of saran, but your Clawdeen gives me hope!

love the blue!! looks great on the vamp.

just finished a custom swap. (not allowed to reveal pics yet)

now i'm switching over to custom mh doll clothes. and i totally agree. her red lipstick drives me crazy too.
eventually i'm gonna repaint mine. one i have her designed outfit decided.

Thank you!
I know, isn't her lipstick awful?  I was thinking dark blue-violet for her new lip color.
You're going to sew MH clothes?  Ooh I can't wait to see what you come up with! 

I love the seamonster, very pretty :D

Actually, I'm working on new clothes for Lala in my collection "All that Glitter".

The dress is nearly finished o/

Thank you!!  She's got to be one of my favorite CAMs!
That outfit is so chic!  Beautiful!

I'm still in the beginning stage of my first rerooting of my OC plant girl. Just need to get some hair.

Since we're in a thread about Customs, Let me hijack the thread for a quick moment:

What kinda hair material does what? I know it's been mentioned a few times but I can't remember what I read.

Kanekalon = no kinks or bends in hair, but shrivels and afroed when boil straightened
Nylon = Can only be styled straight and not boil permed/straightened
Saran = Can easily be styled with high temperature

I need to decide the right texture for her so please correct me if it's off, I need to know what does what.

And how much hair from who fills a whole MH head?? The hair style I'm going for is just about lower than the shoulder, about going down to her bust.

You have Nylon mixed up with Saran. :) Saran is straight only. It cannot be easily boil permed. If you do get it to curl, the curls generally fall out. Nylon curls tend to last a very very long time. Nylon is the same hair that MLP has. Saran often has a slick, almost oily feel to it.
-snip-
Thankies for that! now I have to decide if I want nylon or Saran...She'd have a long bob cut, but don't know if I want her to have curled ends like Spectra's design or just a straight bob...the slick, almost oily texture would match her characteristics so well. :hmm: so many decisions but so little options. :huh:

Since you want to have her hair in a bob cut, you could probably get away with only 2 nylon Dollyhair MLP hair packs to hair your doll.  My seamonster has entire, Dollyhair MLP nylon uncut hair strands so she's going to take a LOT of hanks to complete.  I cut the hair hanks in half to hair my vampire and she still has long hair and will probably take 3 packs of hair.  If you're doing a bob, you could cut the hank in half and then cut those hanks in half and probably still have the hair long enough for what you want.  I'm not sure about any of this when it comes to saran hair.  I haven't ordered any yet.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:29:48 PM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 04:50:19 PM »
Thanks! After the whole drama with DH, I'm gonna try not to order from there. >,<; For now I'm looking around other places to see where I can order from and pestering one of my friends to buy it for me since I has no card to pay online.

One issue I would have to figure out in making her is: She has two vines/tendrils coming from the back of her head that's kinda like pigtails with thorns and a leaf at the end of each and I have no idea how I'd pull it off.

Maybe like have three or 6 plugs that haven't been cut and braid them into long pigails?  :shrug:
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
Faced with all the talented customizers around here I'm a little shy to admit that I've been working really hard on my first rehair for a few months. I'm getting ready to finish her up. I put off the part until last as I know it's going to give me troubles.
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »
Right now I'm working on rerooting my black and white SS Frankie in rainbow gradiant hair. I'm about halfway done. After that I think I will be doing an Abbey or a blue Robecca.
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
Thanks! After the whole drama with DH, I'm gonna try not to order from there. >,<; For now I'm looking around other places to see where I can order from and pestering one of my friends to buy it for me since I has no card to pay online.
One issue I would have to figure out in making her is: She has two vines/tendrils coming from the back of her head that's kinda like pigtails with thorns and a leaf at the end of each and I have no idea how I'd pull it off.

Maybe like have three or 6 plugs that haven't been cut and braid them into long pigails?  :shrug:

I *think* the drama is all cleared up with Dollyhair.  I'm honestly not sure where else to get hair.  The RestoreDoll.com website was way too confusing and messy for me to figure anything out. x_x

Do you have a design sketched out for the tendrils and such?  I'm curious to see it!

Faced with all the talented customizers around here I'm a little shy to admit that I've been working really hard on my first rehair for a few months. I'm getting ready to finish her up. I put off the part until last as I know it's going to give me troubles.

My seamonster has a part...Sort of.  I didn't bother with one for my vampire, though.  I thought I'd tie the top of her hair back into a "bump-it" type of hairdo.  Anyway, can't wait to see your dolly!

Right now I'm working on rerooting my black and white SS Frankie in rainbow gradiant hair. I'm about halfway done. After that I think I will be doing an Abbey or a blue Robecca.

Rainbow gradiant hair?? I'd love to see!  I'm trying to figure out how to pull off rainbow hair for my three-eyed ghoul.  Not sure how I'm going to go about it yet.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:47:02 PM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 05:45:07 PM »
I can't believe I forgot these!!!!

Eridan and gamzee from home stuck!!! Forgive my tired brain... Lol

Pony_Mommy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
Almost forgot about the clown I am doing. I have her body and am going to be sewing her outfit. Waiting for the fabric I ordered, and I will sketch out her face once I have her outfit done. Still trying to figure out what I want to do for her hair though.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2013, 06:48:13 PM »

You could pop in a plug or two of some kind of different material :)  Yarn was my first thought, but you could use almost anything!  I was surprised at all the crazy yarn "types" there are out there!  Walk your yarn section at your local Walmart/Target/Mejier and inspiration will strike, I promise.  Especially with that crazy brain of yours :lol:
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Angelkitty21

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »

Try threading some cotton thread through the plugs, and do a spiral knot:
http://www.craftprojectideas.com/index.php/how-to/basic-techniques/450-knots-how-to-make-a-spiral-knot
And then end it with a leaf bead, Or somesuch. If you made it with a wire in the middle, it could be poseable!

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2013, 01:31:39 AM »

I *think* the drama is all cleared up with Dollyhair.  I'm honestly not sure where else to get hair.  The RestoreDoll.com website was way too confusing and messy for me to figure anything out. x_x

Do you have a design sketched out for the tendrils and such?  I'm curious to see it!
I actually wanted to make a personal thread to introduce her when I first through up of her and all that, but until then, I've just been lazy to go through all of it, so until she's done, she'll be under wraps. :P *Is very paranoid in general about sharing her ideas and the possibility of having someone steal it* I've "drawn" a few pictures of her and will probably post/include them in that thread once I ever get to it.

I'm not a great artist, but I will draw drew a quick sketch of how I'd want her hair to look and her vines.

Made her hair a little short in this sketch, but her left part I wanted to make longer. Her tendrils are a lot longer, like possibly down to her feet/calves, long. :P

(Now I just hope no one steals this picture and steal my idea! >,<)

You could pop in a plug or two of some kind of different material :)  Yarn was my first thought, but you could use almost anything!  I was surprised at all the crazy yarn "types" there are out there!  Walk your yarn section at your local Walmart/Target/Mejier and inspiration will strike, I promise.  Especially with that crazy brain of yours :lol:
I was thinking of maybe trying yarn, but the texture/look didn't look/feel right to me, maybe be too floppy when i need to be able to pose them. Maybe I'll go have a look and see what kinds there are in stores.

Believe me, I've put SOoo MUCH thought and time into creating her and spent so much time doing research and everything. I really want to get her done.

http://www.craftprojectideas.com/index.php/how-to/basic-techniques/450-knots-how-to-make-a-spiral-knot
And then end it with a leaf bead, Or somesuch. If you made it with a wire in the middle, it could be poseable!
With her characteristics, I actually wanted to make them poseable!! Just didn't know how. >,>; And Leaf shaped beads might actually work! As for that knot method, if I can find the right kind of thread or even use hair, that might work!
My Flickr Page

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2013, 02:16:54 AM »

I would reccomend nylon for a bob. If the hair is too short and doesnt have enough eight, it might stick up and not lay flat if it is saran. And no amount of boiling will get it to lay flat either :(

Nylon will stickup at first also, even when long, but you can get it to lay flat by doing nothing more than tying it down. My clawdeen's hair sticks up a bit at first, but it lies flat because I pull it all down snug and clip it behind her head when Im not working on her since I have to work so slowly.
Quote from: Tropical_Sunset link=topic=326731.msg703408#msg703408
[quote author=Angelkitty21 link=topic=326731.msg703678#msg703678 date=1364445611
With her characteristics, I actually wanted to make them poseable!! Just didn't know how. >,>; And Leaf shaped beads might actually work! As for that knot method, if I can find the right kind of thread or even use hair, that might work!

Oooh. I used to make lanyards and such in high school. You CAN do this style with doll hair, but you will need it to be something very long. The center string that you do all of the knotting around can be the length you desire, but the string you tie around it should be like twice its length, or maybe even more. I would test it out first with some string to see how much you will need.

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2013, 06:20:30 AM »
For the tendril... What about doing those "knot" friendship bracelets method around a white... It would make it have a vine like appearance... So it might work...

Like this

idolstar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2013, 06:53:51 AM »
LuvlyMelody why not use Polymer Clay for the vines you can bake it plus it has many colours? then all you need to do is A] glue it on or B] use magnets to add or remove when you feel like it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal