collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Not growing attached?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
Not growing attached?
« on: March 23, 2013, 09:22:10 PM »
Most of my ponies I'm very fond of, but sometimes I'll pay a lot for a pony and be so excited about it, but when they come, you just don't really feel fond about them? I'll give it a week or two for each pony, but sometimes I just don't get attached to them  :blink: Ever have this happen to you?

Mkanke

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Not growing attached?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »
It's happened with quite a few things for me, both ponies and not. It's almost a form of buyers regret I'd say, but it sucks none the less :/

I usually fix the problem by gifting the item to good friends and wind up feeling a great deal better after seeing their face light up with glee :)

Offline Summerlycoris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 11:15:13 PM »
Yeah I feel like that a bit too sometimes. It kind of sucks because I don't know if I'll be attached to them until I get them.
I like Mkankes idea of gifting them to someone else. It sounds like a really good way to be kind and to make things feel better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Shenanigans and Princess Starburst for this awesome signature and to sunnyrain for my avatar. And my Newbie Swap list is here.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 12:42:03 AM »
Most of my ponies I'm very fond of, but sometimes I'll pay a lot for a pony and be so excited about it, but when they come, you just don't really feel fond about them? I'll give it a week or two for each pony, but sometimes I just don't get attached to them  :blink: Ever have this happen to you?

I get what you mean. I wouldn't call buyer's remorse, but rather being disappointed because the pony falls below expectation in real life. I was really hyped up when I first bought my Mountain Boys, but after bringing them home from the 2008 Pony Fair, I started to discover that they weren't as amazing as what I felt when I saw them in pictures. I bought all 6 in a set and mind you Fireball, Lightning and Sunburst were mint and near mint. I should have been completely smittened and fawn over them on a daily basis, but nah, just felt like I have come acrossed better ponies that were more common, affordable and twice as amazing.

Not that I do not like them, but they did fall short of my expectations. I always thought I wanted Tornado the most out of the 6, however, he turned out to be the most generic looking because in a way he looked like Tux & Tail. Ice Crystal was a nice aqua, but compared to the rest of the MBs, he actually looked kind of plain. Thundercloud was in the worst condition, but surprisingly, he was actually my favourite. I love him to bits. So, there you go, just to let you know you're not alone on this. lol

I think for some lesser ponies, I might have just resell them, but the MBs are kind of hard to come by so I kept them around for a while, and the sentimental value of having them around appreciates over time.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »
This is why I buy dirty and less than perfect ponies... the cleaning/styling is almost like a bonding process for me, I spend all that time on them, and get to know all their highlights and their flaws, it's almost like a personality. I much prefer ponies I've fixed up to those I've bought minty.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline blonde2themax

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:51:21 AM »
Sometimes I have buyers remorse but not as often.  I think having the ponies helps me to bond with them better.  Brand new ponies I find very hard to bond with.  I like to appreciate my ponies by combing their hair or just holding them.  Often if I get a pair of ponies that my total grail I can get a bit disappointed. 
Thanks Shenanigans for my sig & Sirithfin for my profile pic :D!
My Sales Page :D!http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,319444.msg580218.html#msg580218
My G3 and Season Swap Wishlisthttp://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327117.new.html#new

Offline LunaDehligt

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • the fun has been doubled! :D I SO LOVE MY PERSONA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 01:57:54 AM »
yeah it have happend wide some g4s  :huh:

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 04:21:21 AM »
This is why I buy dirty and less than perfect ponies... the cleaning/styling is almost like a bonding process for me, I spend all that time on them, and get to know all their highlights and their flaws, it's almost like a personality. I much prefer ponies I've fixed up to those I've bought minty.

I know exactly what you mean! :D I'm the same way ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

nollilols

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 04:23:23 AM »
I have definitely had it happen. I have this awful tendancy to see a... not a rare pony, but a UK exclusive or a NSS or something on Ebay and I want it because it MUST be special by virtue of those traits - I don't really stop to consider whether I actually like the pony. I currently have a NSS Magic Star, but the reality is I hate her pose and would much rather have a deflocked one in the rearing pose. So I may sell her on.

I've never thought of how the cleaning process can be a bonding experience, that's such a great way to look at it! I feel kind of like that with my rollerskate Melody I just bought - she has several flaws, but yesterday I washed her, and plaited the yellow streak in her hair and I really like how she looks now, I prefer her to my standard Melody. On the other hand, I have a Hair-Do Starlight, who I didn't have to do anything with because she looks great, but I'm  not bothered by her.

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 04:41:14 AM »

Me too ! :)

Offline Baby Mischief

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Liberae sunt nostrae cogitationes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:19:47 AM »
I feel the exact same way! Most of the time I just sell the ponies I don´t grow attached to and buy new ones :biggrin:
But sometimes I really really regret selling them and it is always the same, I just can´t find them in the same shape again.  :cry:
I so agree with Stormness_1 about the bonding. And the ponies I like the most are the ones that didnt look all that, but that I fixed up to the best of my ability..

Offline Watercolors

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Collector of G1 and G2!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 07:18:24 AM »

You stole the words right out of my mouth. That's exactly what how I feel!

Offline fireglides

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Crazy Scottie Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 07:46:27 AM »

Me too!
:good: Selling my collection -  take a peek! :nerdy:
   500 ponies - G1, G2, G3, G4 - includes Mail Orders, Comic Con, etc.

Includes other 80s items with more coming soon...

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 07:56:47 AM »
Most of my ponies no matter if I get them from a swap,a trade, or buy they all get washed. They all get bonded with. So I don't really feel not attached to them. I am a love all most ponies person. :)

PandoraFox

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »

Me too!

Same here

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal