collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How does your kitty spend her time

My cat/s can go out as they please
30 (22.1%)
I keep my cat/s indoor only
64 (47.1%)
My cat/s are kept indoors but go for a walk on a leash
16 (11.8%)
I have a fenced off part where they can go out
4 (2.9%)
They only go out under my supervision
10 (7.4%)
Other - tell us :)
12 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Author Topic: Do you let your cat/s go outside?  (Read 7851 times)

flutterwry

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Do you let your cat/s go outside?
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
I am absolutely pro-indoors. A safe balcony or safe garden may be ok, but no further.

My family used to let their cats go out - so many of them where ran over by a car and one of them was probably killed by the neighbour's stupid hunting dog, others just went away and never came back... it's so horrible!
I always told them: "P-l-e-a-s-e let the cats stay indoors - you live too close to the street!" - but they didn't listen: "No, a cat needs to get out!" - And outside, Barney died, Speedy and Nermal, Molly, Barbie and her baby, Blinky and Blitzi, Blacky and many more...it's so sad to even think of it! None of them got older than seven years. Not until last year, when my father's absolute favourite, Miss Sophie, died painfully after she got stuck in a tilt-and-turn window (those ghastly things you don't have in the US and UK, afaik) when she wanted to get out, they are now very, very slowly beginning to understand...

So all my cats are kept indoors, even though this is still pretty much frowned upon over here. Nonetheless, last year something bad happened, which made me even more careful. We moved to another town. The door of the new flat did not close properly due to a loose screw in the lock, and I didn't notice that. So my curious tomcat got out - and the stupid son of our stupid neighbours (Wonderful start, isn't it?) let him out of the house... I searched for Mr. Cat for over an hour and finally found him sitting under a car, scared, in pain, blood flowing out of his mouth. I still don't know what exactly had happened. However: 500 bucks for the vet, Mr. Cat's upper and lower jaw were broken. Many tears. Had to feed him with a syringe. I never ever want to go through this again!

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2013, 10:35:31 AM »
When I was living with my parents still, we had two cats that were kept in the barn and they spent 99% of their time outside. Only came inside for the night, to eat, and to follow us in the barn.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2013, 10:51:25 AM »
It depends. When I lived in an apartment or neighborhood I kept my cat inside. Now that I live in a rural area on a quiet dirt road and have a piece of property fenced off, I let Simon outside when he wants to go. I also have two large dogs that keep raccoons and possums away and keep strays from coming around. Simon is a homebody, he'll go out and sit on the porch or garden for a bit then he wants back in. He does not go out at night. If he were an adventurous kitty that wandered I'd keep him inside. But he usually keeps to a five foot radius around the house :)
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »
I am absolutely pro-indoors. A safe balcony or safe garden may be ok, but no further.

My family used to let their cats go out - so many of them where ran over by a car and one of them was probably killed by the neighbour's stupid hunting dog, others just went away and never came back... it's so horrible!
I always told them: "P-l-e-a-s-e let the cats stay indoors - you live too close to the street!" - but they didn't listen: "No, a cat needs to get out!" - And outside, Barney died, Speedy and Nermal, Molly, Barbie and her baby, Blinky and Blitzi, Blacky and many more...it's so sad to even think of it! None of them got older than seven years. Not until last year, when my father's absolute favourite, Miss Sophie, died painfully after she got stuck in a tilt-and-turn window (those ghastly things you don't have in the US and UK, afaik) when she wanted to get out, they are now very, very slowly beginning to understand...

So all my cats are kept indoors, even though this is still pretty much frowned upon over here. Nonetheless, last year something bad happened, which made me even more careful. We moved to another town. The door of the new flat did not close properly due to a loose screw in the lock, and I didn't notice that. So my curious tomcat got out - and the stupid son of our stupid neighbours (Wonderful start, isn't it?) let him out of the house... I searched for Mr. Cat for over an hour and finally found him sitting under a car, scared, in pain, blood flowing out of his mouth. I still don't know what exactly had happened. However: 500 bucks for the vet, Mr. Cat's upper and lower jaw were broken. Many tears. Had to feed him with a syringe. I never ever want to go through this again!

Oh no!!!  Your poor baby!  I am SO GLAD you found him and fixed him- that is such a scary and sad story!

My cat almost died too-  she LOVES going outside, someone who was visiting didn't know better and let her out.  It was only 15 minutes later that I realized what had happened-  I looked for her everywhere, and found her just across the alley looking very strange-  she was vomiting and vomiting - just stomach fluid and pink foam (blood it turns out) We found out she had eaten some of the weeds that the darned neighbor had sprayed with "round up" and was poisoned-
She was okay but it was quite a scare.   If she had had any more she would have died or had neurological damage ...

She has lost the crazy drive to get outside since we built a cat-run/cattery though.  It was super easy too-  we just got one of those chain link dog runs you can find on craigslist, and then cut a small hole in the chain link on the side facing the house (flush to the tiny basement window).  There is a stepladder on each side for easy access, and we shut it at night (because a raccoon can still kill an animal through chain link).  a stepladder on each side for easy access.  Then I attached some outdoor worthy (plastic) cat seats to the chain link, and most recently, a friend donated a tree they had cut down-   the cats are so happy in there, and my troublesome little cat actually prefers to use the restroom out there too...

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I don't have cats, but my parents do.  They have one kitty who is indoor/outdoor, but then three who are indoor only.  One of those cats is deaf, so he's inside for obvious reasons.  They also have about 4 outdoor kitties as well, whom they have trapped and had fixed, but remain outside (but they feed and water them).

My parents have also trapped and fixed other stray cats spanning the past 15 years.

I've heard that cats who are outdoors have a lifespan of a few years vs the 15 year lifespan of an indoor cat.

Growing up my cat was an indoor/outdoor cat.  And he lived for 13 years - he passed away under my parents' bed while I was away at college.  He also had yearly check-ups and never had any parasites or diseases.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:00:11 PM by ashes »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »
My two cats - Buddy and Dirtball - are indoor cats.  They are both fully declawed, so we definitely wouldn't let them out for that safety reason alone.  On raaaare occasions, my husband and I will let them wander around the front yard as long as we are both out there with them.  They are literally about a foot from us the entire time, because I'm scared to death something will happen to them.  They usually only get to stay out for about three minutes, because all they want to do is gnaw on grass.  They just look like two fat cows grazing, lol.  Once we make them stop gnawing on grass, they are content to go back instead.  Silly cats.

nollilols

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2013, 01:34:07 AM »
Woah I always thought declawing was cruel.... no? It's illegal in Europe as far as I know.. though apparently not in Ireland, upon a quick google, vets are just highly recommended not to do it and can face disciplinary action if they do. O.o

flutterwry

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2013, 02:49:08 AM »
Woah I always thought declawing was cruel.... no? It's illegal in Europe as far as I know.. though apparently not in Ireland, upon a quick google, vets are just highly recommended not to do it and can face disciplinary action if they do. O.o
In Germany it is strictly forbidden and falls under animal cruelty. (And right so, dare I say.) Amputating a cat's claw is only allowed if a medical indication (tumors, gangrene etc.) requires it, and in this case only the infected phalanxes are removed, the others are left intact.

Oh no!!!  Your poor baby!  I am SO GLAD you found him and fixed him- that is such a scary and sad story!

My cat almost died too-  she LOVES going outside, someone who was visiting didn't know better and let her out.  It was only 15 minutes later that I realized what had happened-  I looked for her everywhere, and found her just across the alley looking very strange-  she was vomiting and vomiting - just stomach fluid and pink foam (blood it turns out) We found out she had eaten some of the weeds that the darned neighbor had sprayed with "round up" and was poisoned-
She was okay but it was quite a scare.   If she had had any more she would have died or had neurological damage ...
Thank you, Galactica! It was a hellride. Wanted to have a party that day, was in the middle of preparations - and then this. We raced to the next vet as fast as possible, swearing at red traffic lights, and I nearly swooned because I was so scared that one of his inner organs could be damaged - and on our way there called everyone to cancel. It was one of the sh....ier days of my life, definitely.
But sweet Jesus, your story is horrible, too - I'm glad to hear your little furball is fine again!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:50:52 AM by flutterwry »

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2013, 04:09:37 AM »

This picture makes me so happy<3 A black kitty in the sunshine always warms my heart! Your other cat is beautiful as well.
Aww thanks!  ^.^ Glad he warms someone else's heart as much as mine. He's my little ham, I've never met a cat more intelligent and funny. He's also a big snugglebunny, he has to get a certain allotment of kisses a day! :heart:

Kelly-Your baby is so beautiful!!

Thank you!  :)  Yep, I love all my pets very much, but Nebbie is the dream kitty I've always wanted.  Besides being a fairly good leash walker for a cat, she also likes to ride on my shoulder.  Bestest kitty ever!

OK *grin* I have to share the stupid song I made up for her.  I can't help it; it just popped into my head.

"Nebbie's (very silly) Kitty Song:

My name is Nebbie
I am a kitty
You're going to love me
'Cause I'm so pretty

I have a sister
I have a brother
I'm siamese-ies
Just like our mother

My fur's so soft
My eye are blue
Would you believe that
My points are too

I ride on shoulders
I go for walks
Like taking car rides
And having talks

My name is Nebbie
I am a kitty
You're going to love me
'Cause I'm so pretty

Nebula and her sister (Cricket, black shorthair) and brother (Hamlet, gray medium hair) are all feral-born.  Their mother is a stray siamese mix that lives in the field near my old apartment; she has dark brown points and white paws.  She didn't want to be a pet, so I had her spayed and vaccinated, then released her when the kittens were 2 or 3 months old (can't remember exactly).  Though she's a mix, Nebbie was lucky to inherit really nice markings and particularly soft fur.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2013, 04:55:36 AM »
My cats are all indoors only. My area is not ideal for taking them for a walk (I live in the middle of the city). I sell kittens only to indoor homes, walking on a leash or in a catproof enclosure is fine though, it's in the sales contract too. I've seen too many roadkills and had relatives and friends have their cats simply go missing never to be seen again.

About declawing, completely illegal here unless absolutely necessary for medical reasons. I can't believe anyone could do that to their cat and I wish those people would have their fingers & toes amputated from the first digit so they'd know how it feels. Absolutely sick procedure IMO and there's no good excuse for having it done, it doesn't benefit the cat in anyway, quite the opposite.
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2013, 05:51:36 AM »

My name is Nebbie
I am a kitty
You're going to love me
'Cause I'm so pretty

I have a sister
I have a brother
I'm siamese-ies
Just like our mother

My fur's so soft
My eye are blue
Would you believe that
My points are too

I ride on shoulders
I go for walks
Like taking car rides
And having talks

My name is Nebbie
I am a kitty
You're going to love me
'Cause I'm so pretty

Hahaha, you gotta love how insane our pets make us! That poem is adorable :)

Every time I talk to my cats, I remember this

http://xkcd.com/231/

As for declawing, it is so strange to me that I don't even know what it means apparently :S I always thought it was cutting the nails of kitties and i felt that was pretty bad because they can't climb around, but apparently this is much worse :(
I see cat claws as their main tools of life.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2013, 06:01:30 AM »
and the number 1 reason for keeping your cat indoors just happened here. 10.30pm, a warmish night so my front door is open with the screen door closed. my cat is minding her own business at her own front door, when all of a sudden there is the most horrendous noise, banging on the screen door, cats screaming and howling. one of my irresponsible neighbours cat is at my door, attacking my cat in her own home??? and it woke my kids up!!! this is almost a nightly thing, but it's normally via the windows - which ends up costing me a fortune in curtains. my cat tends to be a bit of a nasty when she gets razzed up, i know to close the front door with a broom when this happens, as she'll go you. my OH did not know this. tipping he's gonna have a sore foot tomorrow :lol:

oh, and declawing is also illegal here too...(tho it would save my curtains... and my kids arms, legs and faces :lookround:)

this is my roxy girl sitting in the high chair. cause she can, cause she's a cat :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:14:27 PM by kezrob23 »

January Joy

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2013, 06:31:57 AM »
My cats are not allowed outside (with the exception of one who behaves enough to walk on a leash), the reasons being:

1.) I live about 1500 feet from the busiest main road in the county
2.) If that weren't bad enough, the people who live on my street already drive like maniacs (keep in mind this is a narrow, private road where kids play and ride their bikes and people walk their dogs - meaning nobody has any excuse to be going over 20 mph)
3.) There are other stray cats in this area and feline leukemia is a  very real possibility for my cats if they were to get out and fight with these strays.
4.) We have coyotes in the area
5.) There are some sick people in this world who think its okay to poison/beat/torture stray animals

Edit: On the subject of declawing I completely disagree with it as well. I don't know if it is illegal here now or if there are vets who refuse to do the procedure regardless, but when my dad and his gf got their cat 15 years ago they had him declawed because they would rather save their furniture rather than have their cat live a pain-free life. They have another cat now who was a stray and I have been reminding them every so often about those "caps" they can put over the cats claws as an alternative to declawing.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:35:17 AM by January Joy »

flutterwry

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2013, 07:24:53 AM »
[...]
I ride on shoulders
I go for walks
Like taking car rides
And having talks
How awesome is that? :D :heart:

Absolutely sick procedure IMO and there's no good excuse for having it done, it doesn't benefit the cat in anyway, quite the opposite.
Very much agreed to you! If someone is more worried about their furniture than about their pets' well-being, then they should restrict themselves to pet rocks, but not some living animal. Period.

As for declawing, it is so strange to me that I don't even know what it means apparently :S I always thought it was cutting the nails of kitties and i felt that was pretty bad because they can't climb around, but apparently this is much worse :(
It is. I used to believe that it was more of a manicure, just shortening them if the claws grow too long. But then I found out that it is the amputation of the finger tip with plenty of risks and negative side effects on the cat.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2013, 08:09:56 AM »
Declawing is still legal here. My childhood cats had it done back in 1990 when I was too little to be opposed to it. It really does some damage to cats and I've known cats who couldn't walk correctly and who bled a bit from their toes their entire life after it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal