collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 16  (Read 42231 times)

Offline SunnieBunny

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/sunniebunny/MLP%204%20TRADE/
Re: Monster High Discussion 16
« Reply #1455 on: April 28, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »
I wish that HHB's horse was at least articulated and/or could even "walk" on her own (I wanna say there was a Barbie years ago that came with a horse that could actually walk on her own either due to remote control or batteries and a switch). That would have been cute. :)

I still have my walking barbie horse lol
I think it was called Horse High Stepper or something along those lines.
One day I'll have to put some batteries in her to see if she still walks.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Monster High OC of Myself Sunnie Bunny with My Custom TMNT

Offline creedence

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 28, 2013, 11:25:01 PM »
Is it true that they're rereleasing basic Draculaura, Frankie, & Clawdeen in the US??  Please say yes! 

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 29, 2013, 12:44:53 AM »
I think so. They have been released here in the EU and somebody from Australia said that they would become available there too, if they aren't already.

I have heard rumors that they will re release signature Lagoona and Ghoulia, any truth to that?

I only just watched the Indian Fright song and I love it. The women are normal weight, but to me they look fit and healthy, not too fat or even plump. I have seen the same type of extreme thinness in Bollywood movies as in Western films and it is quite nice that MH advertising did not go that route, even if the dolls themselves are very thin.

Come to think of it, would the same kind of mentality that is attached to Barbie's physique also be attached to MH? By this I mean that there are girls and women, who feel that Barbie has the perfect body and they would want to emulate that. Dolly Parton is a famous example of this. Will girls and women, say 10 years in the future feel that way about the MH body type?

This is speculation of course, since there is really no way to know, but I think it's an interesting topic to ponder.

Okiedokieloki

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1458 on: April 29, 2013, 04:54:05 AM »
Is it true that they're rereleasing basic Draculaura, Frankie, & Clawdeen in the US??  Please say yes!

Yes, they are. They're available for preorder on bigbadtoystore.com right now.

JustHereForPictures

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1459 on: April 29, 2013, 04:57:15 AM »
I wish that HHB's horse was at least articulated and/or could even "walk" on her own (I wanna say there was a Barbie years ago that came with a horse that could actually walk on her own either due to remote control or batteries and a switch). That would have been cute. :)

If the Nightmare had been articulated I would have been falling over myself to get at it. I have always, always wanted a horse that was articulated but not as part of some walking gimmick.

Offline missbonbon

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 29, 2013, 05:25:23 AM »
I'm going to hold off on ordering HHB.  Part of the fun for me is finding the dolls in stores. 
Heck yeah! :P That and you can go through each box to make sure you find the right one, instead of getting one with her face completely Picassoed. XD

I love finding them in stores too but the nearest Toys R Us is so far away from me, its hard to get there, so preordering their exclusives is easier for me :)

Please visit my photobucket to see my princess variant wish list. Photos borrowed from Shelti's site with permission. If they are your photos and don't want them on my link, please let me know, I will take them down right away!

Missbonbon's Princess Variant Wish List

Offline creedence

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 29, 2013, 06:04:30 AM »

Yes, they are. They're available for preorder on bigbadtoystore.com right now.

Omg thanks!  I'm so glad!  And if they rerelease Ghoulia & the others as well We're gonna be SO broke lol.

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 29, 2013, 06:22:26 AM »
Sorry for giving wrong info about Catty's mold. I thought it was fact, but thanks for the correction. :)

I would also like to know whether the HHB comes with more than just Nightmare, who does look pretty underwhelming to me. I don't really care much for articulated horses, but I wanted something more spectacular than what we did get with Nightmare.

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #1463 on: April 29, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »

I only just watched the Indian Fright song and I love it. The women are normal weight, but to me they look fit and healthy, not too fat or even plump. I have seen the same type of extreme thinness in Bollywood movies as in Western films and it is quite nice that MH advertising did not go that route, even if the dolls themselves are very thin.

Come to think of it, would the same kind of mentality that is attached to Barbie's physique also be attached to MH? By this I mean that there are girls and women, who feel that Barbie has the perfect body and they would want to emulate that. Dolly Parton is a famous example of this. Will girls and women, say 10 years in the future feel that way about the MH body type?

This is speculation of course, since there is really no way to know, but I think it's an interesting topic to ponder.
That's the kind of fun, kind of terrible part of it all though; women and girls alike are already being taught to have the same body type as MH dolls- stick thin with heavy makeup. Look at any tv show, fashion show, or hell even commercials. Anorexic-ally thin has been around since the 1920s with Flappers, who worked to emphasize that they were thin and boyish. And after the clothing revolution when corsets, girdles, and other heavily body shaping clothing were no longer stylish it became up to people themselves to sculpt their body into the proper shapes.
Add to that both the fact that doctors and the media have always, always emphasized that fat is bad, and thin is Heathy- all Thin is Healthy, and you end up with that being the full true ideal. A woman named Lesley "Twiggy" Lawson is often credited for starting the anorexic fad, but she really didn't, she just became the poster child of it. Society as a whole only actually started looking at the possibility of a "too thin" after both the publication of "The Golden Cage: the Enigma of Anorexia Nervosa" by Hilde Bruch in 1978 and  Karen Carpenter of the Carpenter's band died in 1983 from the condition. It hasn't stopped anyone from becoming anorexic though, or really improved body images. I mean, a swedish company posted pictures of mannequins with a healthy BMI and the internet exploded about obese and fat mannequins. Clothing for a single woman fluctuate 4-6 sizes, depending not only on the store but also on which designer- my friend Jamie is anywhere between a 14 and 18 in Layne Bryant of all places.

Okay, anorexia ramble aside (can you tell it;s something I researched before?) In favor of MH: Yes, they are too skinny, and their legs are crazy long, and they have the weeird pregnant sway-back. What they do have going for them, positive body image wise, is this: They have normal feet, with toes. Check them out closely,in a real woman they're a size 8 easy,if not an actual size 10 proportionally. And while they're all set in hooker heels (it's just what my friends and I have always called the 4in+ heeled shoes), they have real feet, not tiny tiny toeless blobs like most dolls. The other big,biig plus for them that you don't really see elsewhere, is their chest are smaller and narrower than their hips, making those areas realistically proportioned. They also overall have tiny boobies compared to other dolls, which fits into their skinny size, and actual curved hips, with their thighs and calves the thickest parts of their legs, and butt cheeks that don't seamlessly melt into them.
So, they're a mixed bag, but still well within the range of "normal" body image Western Culture is selling us, and has been selling us for years.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 29, 2013, 09:19:24 AM »
Waaaiiitt a Minute...Isn't that the same screencap from the Canadian TRU Pre-order for HHB??? I swear this was the first (2nd after the first one being so tiny to see) screen cap that was posted from the first time we found out they were doing a pre-order and it was from the CA TRU.

ETA: The reason I ask is regarding the price that's on the screencap posted from canada, was the price for the set on the US TRU site before it was taken down, the same price as the screen cap??

The US price was 42.99, when I saw that it was only two dollars cheaper I just preordered it here.

Of all the things to not have the Canadian price jacked up on, of course it's the one thing I don't want to buy.

To me, the mh bodies are obviously cartoony and much less sexualized than Barbie's physique..  I do think it buys into damaging stereotypes and our culture's obsession with unattainable beauty ideals that the mh bodies are so very thin and swaybacked, but to me the fact that they don't have overdeveloped hips and busts helps balance it out just a little.  Of course it would be nice if they weren't so painfully thin, or if there were a variety of body shapes, and it would make my flipping year if they actually made a plump character, but.. at least they don't look like Barbie.  Besides, you can't really be mad at mattel for making such thin dolls when the doll lines that have more realistic bodies all seem to fail eventually (Liv, Moxie Teenz, TrueType, Big Beautiful Dolls...)

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 29, 2013, 11:13:46 AM »
Found an ad:

They come with so little for that price tag :mad:

$42.99 US, 45 CAN... I shudder at the thought of that mark-up when it arrives in TRU in Australia (it has been confirmed for September 2013, btw). Crossfingers it won't but they seem to be exceptionally greedy when bringing exclusives here. Thinking about it stings especially for a horse that looks like it's made of hard brittle plastic, and basic materials on HHB's clothes... hmph. Considering the main focus of my collection is signature dolls, what a butts this is to think about!

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 29, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »
Get ready! The Monster High SDCC exclusive will possibly revealed this week! Matty Collector just revealed two of their exclusives today and will reveal two more every day through this Friday!

"Every weekday starting Monday April 29th and ending Friday May 3rd, we’ll reveal a new SDCC product. That’s ten total, plus we’ll add one or two surprises later in May or June just to keep it all going. Make sure you check back every day so you don’t miss a single one!"
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 29, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »
Get ready! The Monster High SDCC exclusive will possibly revealed this week! Matty Collector just revealed two of their exclusives today and will reveal two more every day through this Friday!

"Every weekday starting Monday April 29th and ending Friday May 3rd, we’ll reveal a new SDCC product. That’s ten total, plus we’ll add one or two surprises later in May or June just to keep it all going. Make sure you check back every day so you don’t miss a single one!"

Haha! I was just gonna post that! Here's also a post with a bit more SDCC info - http://news.mattycollector.com/blog/2013/04/29/2013-sdcc-previewfive-days-of-reveals-429-53/ which is tagged as Monster High for this ;)

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 29, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
Oh, that's what I forgot to ask. I picked up Clawdeen's bunk bed (no doll) at a doll sale for $15. It has all the blankets as well as some small accessories (razors, drink, straightener) inside a little cupboard. I was wondering if the set came with pillows?

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 29, 2013, 11:40:03 AM »
It came with one skullette pillow.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal