collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is anyone else slightly horrified by this?  (Read 5492 times)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone else slightly horrified by this?
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2013, 07:40:49 PM »
Yeah, I'd never contact the seller.... Same as when friends find vintage ponies that are rare/expensive/mint tell me all about it, and give them to very young children instead..... can be puzzling, painful if it was something I'd desperately want and pay dearly for but it is their stuff. Pony used as a planter is bizarre, it wouldn't last long without rust and stains oozing out of the tail. 

How would you guys feel if someone started emailing you telling you that hording ponies in gigantic collections is wrong because you keep them from little girls who actually play with them?
I actually have gotten these e-mails when I'd share collection photos publicly with non collectors... and a woman came up to me after I bought a  large box of ponies at a yardsale and told me off as well- same idea as what you wrote, I was a cruel woman and "stealing toys from children".
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:58:00 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »
It makes me a little sad to see old ponies who are in limited supply cut up like that... It's the same feeling I get when I see G1s I want cut up for customs. It's not something I can appreciate, but to each their own. I just won't buy them.

I actually have gotten these e-mails when I'd share collection photos publicly with non collectors... and a woman came up to me after I bought a  large box of ponies at a yardsale and told me off as well- same idea as what you wrote, I was a cruel woman and "stealing toys from children".

That's dreadful and pretty silly of her. That's like saying that buying a bag of candy = stealing candy from a baby.

Anyway, bottom line is that this person owns the ponies that they're turning into planters. It makes me sad, but at the end of the day it's none of my business.

Offline tictactoe_kf

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Find what makes you happy and do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »

That's pretty ridiculous! But it certainly puts things in perspective. Certainly we did approach the situation with a clear-cut bias, but that's because our purpose in being here is to collect, cherish and preserve these toys we loved in our youth. When we see them being used in such an unconventional (some might say disrespectful) way, obviously we're confused and angry. But, as many have said, we have to realize that people are allowed to do what they want with their own possessions.

Still. When you put something out there on the internet, you invite criticism and feedback. That's just reality. We probably could have just let it go and not said anything to her, but I doubt it matters, as it seems that nothing we said bothered her anyway! Hopefully her buyers are at least enjoying the ponies in SOME way, even if it's not in a way that we agree with.

:heart:

Thanks Shenanigans for my awesome avatar!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
Still. When you put something out there on the internet, you invite criticism and feedback. That's just reality.
Agreed, a couple of strange e-mails that won't stop me from sharing my collection with others, post it publicly people will say what their opinion is.

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
That makes me feel ill! What an idiot!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2013, 09:09:22 PM »
I only bothered sending them a message because not everyone understands you can't just do whatever you want to whatever you want and expect the results to be good. Not everyone realizes that putting a bunch of dirt, a living plant, and water into a vintage plastic toy is terrible idea and will only ruin the toy.

Especially given that her "pottery" is less than professional (the extremely jagged holes etc), I hoped realizing this is a terrible idea and she'd make more money NOT doing it would help. Apparently not, but I had to try.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

RedKitsune

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2013, 09:20:12 PM »
I'm not exactly sure why she is doing this, it's not for money, because she would make more just by selling the ponies as is. It does remind me of how I make replicas of certain mlp accessories, every time I make a replica mold, it risks some damage to the original. Though lots of collectors want replicas and no one has really complained to me about what I have done so far. Some people have even thanked me. Though unlike what I do, she completely ruins the original every time. Why can't she use like G3s or G4s for this? Something that is so common, it wouldn't bother very many people. They are still ponies and she can still enjoy her hobby...if you want to call it that. Kind of sad, especially for the Tickle.

Kitsune

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't really care? The only one of those ponies that's remotely sought after is Tickles, and the rest are in pretty baity condition. Honestly, it's no different than making a custom. And yes, I hope she's careful about which ponies she uses, but I think everyone's going a little bit overboard...

Please explain how any of those ponies, even the ones she's already sold, are in bait condition.

Moondancer has a rehaired strip, extremely rubbed and faded symbols.
Bluebelle, Cotton Candy and Blossom are 2007 repro, and some with rubbed symbols.
Tickle I will admit is in good condition.

But it's not like any of them are Rapunzel or Nirvanas.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

SeaStar777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2013, 10:45:23 PM »
OMG NOOOOOOOOO! What have they done?  :shocked:

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't really care? The only one of those ponies that's remotely sought after is Tickles, and the rest are in pretty baity condition. Honestly, it's no different than making a custom. And yes, I hope she's careful about which ponies she uses, but I think everyone's going a little bit overboard...

Please explain how any of those ponies, even the ones she's already sold, are in bait condition.

Moondancer has a rehaired strip, extremely rubbed and faded symbols.
Bluebelle, Cotton Candy and Blossom are 2007 repro, and some with rubbed symbols.
Tickle I will admit is in good condition.

But it's not like any of them are Rapunzel or Nirvanas.

How can you tell Moondancer has any rehaired strips? It is not mentioned in the description and I see nothing that indicates it (I seriously doubt this person knows anything about rehairing). Symbols are bad, yeah, but that doesn't bother everyone, plus they could be repainted easily. And I've seen a lot of Moondancers with much less left of her symbols than that...

Bluebell is a reproduction, true (though that doesn't automatically make her bait) but Blossom is undoubtedly an original. I don't see a Cotton Candy. And I don't see any big symbol rubs. If a small symbol rub renders a G1 bait in your eyes, I hope you aren't a customizer...

I know they aren't that rare, but every G1 is special and has a certain value, at least to me and clearly a lot of others here...and that value isn't always monetary. :/
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2013, 12:17:03 AM »
People are actually buying these things...which means they will probably just keep doing this to more ponies.  :cry:

:(
It makes me angry, I would have loved this pony. I keep ponies that are pretty baity.
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2013, 12:24:01 AM »
I also think it's crazy to waste a perfectly good G1 like that. Geez. :/
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2013, 12:27:38 AM »
"Thanks for your concern, but I've been making these for awhile and I have customers who love and collect them. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean everyone else has to. You do what you want with your ponies and mind your own business."

Makes me wonder if they're aware of this thread. My message said nothing about not liking them and wasn't rude, just that its a horrible idea to use them as planters because they're so susceptible to mildew, mold, and rust and they'd probably make more money with less effort just selling the ponies.

They obviously don't care, so I guess all we can do is hope they never get their hands on a nirvana or a Mimic. And that they don't buy a bunch of G1 lots and destroy the ponies to ~get back at us~ who ~dared to message her~.

*hangs onto my G1's tightly*

I don't get it, it would be easier to sell the ponies without the bloody plant stuck in it. I really hope she doesn't buy the in lots.
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2013, 05:34:29 AM »
I bought a bait Secret Surprise with a missing saddle to plant something in (haven't done it yet) but a good condition G1 without a pre-cut hole?! .... just NO!  :blink: :blink: :blink:

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2013, 05:42:23 AM »
Bluebell is a reproduction, true (though that doesn't automatically make her bait) but Blossom is undoubtedly an original. I don't see a Cotton Candy. And I don't see any big symbol rubs. If a small symbol rub renders a G1 bait in your eyes, I hope you aren't a customizer.

Okay, now you are just being ridiculous. Moondancer had horrible symbols, her body color is stained and no longer a pristine white, her eyes have scratches and overall she is a bait. Sorry to burst your bubble, sweets, but symbol rubs DO qualify as a baity pony and when it is a common pony like Moondancer it really isn't an issue at all; not even remotely. Also, sorry to tell you, but that Blossom is a reproduction.

I am with Pythia on this one, I fail to see what the big deal is. It's not like she used some extremely rare pony and even if she had I still wouldn't care because (brace yourselves): It is her pony. Does that mean I would like it? No, but I would not have a tizzy about it because it was not my pony and I have no right to tell someone how they should handle the things they bought with their money. If you all want to get up in arms over it, fine, but I think you are being stupid and freaking out over nothing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal