collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Keeping G4's in a box?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Cynosure

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping G4's in a box?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
I don't buy many G4s, but when I do, I always debox them. I'm not interested in how much value they'll have ten, fifteen or twenty years from now; I'm interested in how much joy they'll give me in the present.

Offline bbassel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »
Free those little angels. It is too stuffy all boxed in like that ; )

Offline Summerlycoris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
I take them out of the boxes, but keep the backcards and, if there is any, the very front of the boxes too. That way I'll have reference art and text for ponies later on.
The reason I take them out is mostly so I can brush and style their hair. It's fun. ^^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Shenanigans and Princess Starburst for this awesome signature and to sunnyrain for my avatar. And my Newbie Swap list is here.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »
I only collect brushable G4's and I leave them mostly boxed. I hang them all on my wall. However if I get playsets and stuff it's usually for the ponies so I'll open it and keep the pony it came with and sell the accessories (no room for many accessories here I'm afraid).
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
I debox most of mine, the only exceptions being SDCC Ditzy Doo and Zecora. I keep all of my con ponies in the box and Zecora just looks so nice in hers! I have a few unboxed Raritys tacked up around my collection because I get so many as gifts, and they do look nice displayed like that. Other than those, they all come out of the box. I don't have the space for boxed ponies anyway, and I have a feeling G4s will never be as valuable as G1s, especially not the mane six.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »
I think the only things that really go up in value are the ones no one expected to.  Except for Mimic.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »
I made that mistake with G3s.  I bought everything I could, and kept most of it MIB, until the started with the core 7 repeat characters.  Now I have way too many, no room to display them, and they are mostly worth less that I paid, even in their MIB state (which is still better value than loose, mind you).  I've been trying to sell them, but I might end up having to debox them and store them for my future kids (or my son, if he likes ponies.  I'm not pushing him either way, lol)

Still, all my single G4s are mib right now, and the playsets have been opened.  For that reason, I only buy the ones I like, and I don't worry about future value of the regular releases.  I also don't bother with doubles, weather or not they come with accessories or tinsel in their hair, unless there are new ponies with them.

So yeah, If you like them MIB for display and keeping them dust free, then go for it.  If it's for the future value, don't bother.  Most of them won't be worth much more than their shelf price.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »
If you prefer them boxed, keep them boxed of course.  :)

For me, however, I prefer my g4s loose.  And since there's such a flood of them in the market and I many collectors out there, I really doubt they'll ever be as rare or HTF as a MOC g1.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 09:46:43 PM »
i onl have a few of my G4's deboxed.. lol i perosnaly would love to  debox hte rest of them its just that int ehre  boxes it makes dispalying  so much easier for me! lol

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »
I hang my boxed ponies on the wall, includiing FS Luna and FS Rarity. I want SO badly to open them and play with them! I asked another member here about what I should do, and what I got out of her answer was to buy 2 of whatever pony you really like, then debox one and display the other. I thought that was a great win win- plus, since I'm only buying duplicates of a few of them and the ones that I think will appreciate in value.

ShowPony83

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »
I think I have some sort of OCD with keeping things in boxes, I just don't seem to appreciate them unless they're still MIB...I have a cupboard full of MIB G3 ponies and playsets, somewhere I'm fairly sure I have some G2 MIB/MOC's and now with G4's I'm keeping everything still boxed except blind bags of course lol...I did open ONE G4 and now I hugely regret it and having thoughts on buying a double that's still in box so I can display that particular series all together...

I dunno why but it's just me *shrugs*  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:11:03 PM by ShowPony83 »

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 10:57:58 PM »
I say debox. I did and display mine with the wedding Castle and it looks awesome. :)

Value wise in the future, I don't see it as being much difference. There are a few hard to get ponies out there that are G4s but those are the only ones I would keep in the box.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 11:14:16 PM »
I debox mine because I like to be able to brush their hair and they look nicer to display, plus I don't have the space to display them all boxed. I do keep the International exclusives boxed though. I'm very tempted to debox them too but so far I've been strong and kept them in their boxes. Really though, I'll probably never sell them. I'll save them for my future grandchildren to play with at my house (my 5 year old daughter already has her own G4 collection, lol) or I'll just keep them for myself forever.  :biggrin: so resale value is not a factor for me.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 05:18:32 AM »
I don't collect for resale purposes or the pony's value. I collect to enjoy them, and I get the most enjoyment out of opening them. Of course,  I would never debox a G1 and I love getting MOC G1s, but I will happily open up G4 items.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Flanuora

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 06:06:16 AM »
We are all about deboxing here.  My little 5 year old son and I love to play with them.  We take good care of them so (hopefully) they will hold their worth but playing with them is more than half the fun! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal