collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Credit Card Fraud  (Read 850 times)

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
Credit Card Fraud
« on: March 05, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »
Hey guys, just had to deal with this yesterday. There were two unknown purchases on my account that showed up Sunday and yesterday. I have had the fraud protection on my account since I got the card and $17 a month has finally paid off. They called me to see if I had made either of these purchases; one was for concert tickets but only $35, the other a paypal transaction that is not on my paypal account. I was so happy that they caught it, and so early too. We cancelled the card and I'm getting a new one. Today I changed ALL of my passwords. I don't know how on earth they got a hold of my cc number, but I changed everything anyway. I did get some random people asking to friend me on FB, so maybe that was it.  :blink:

So let this be a warning to all about your activity on the internet. Make sure you have hard passwords that nobody can figure out. Spend the extra bit of money if you have to and keep your information safe.  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline Saoirse

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Part time collector, Full time addict!
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Fraud
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:01:53 AM »
Ugh thats horrible...no where is nearly safe anymore from these *blinking* scammers!

I'm afraid to set up a credit card and use debit for paypal. The account never has a lot in it so worst case they couldn't steal much :(

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »
Good catch. We had to cancel and replace a card that that someone tried to place a charge on while we were on vacation. You have to pay a monthly fee in the US to protect a card? Here they try and sell you "balance insurance" but protection against fraud is automatically part of credit cards.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:13:50 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline LadySatine

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 11:19:45 AM »
Good catch. We had to cancel and replace a card that that someone tried to place a charge on while we were on vacation. You have to pay a monthly fee in the US to protect a card? Here they try and sell you "balance insurance" but protection against fraud is automatically part of credit cards.

Well, they used to anyway...it might be free now.

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
That really stinks - but I would heartily recommend (if you live in the U.S.) to NOT buy "Fraud protection" for your credit cards- it is a scam since you are not liable per federal statute for more than $50 of fraudulent credit card charges.  Check it out:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0093-credit-card-loss-protection

Offline LadySatine

• G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
That really stinks - but I would heartily recommend (if you live in the U.S.) to NOT buy "Fraud protection" for your credit cards- it is a scam since you are not liable per federal statute for more than $50 of fraudulent credit card charges.  Check it out:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0093-credit-card-loss-protection

It was through my credit card company and I signed up online, so I didn't think of it as a scam...

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 11:33:46 AM »
I guess I shouldn't say it's a "scam" so much as an unnecessary charge, since credit card companies are required to protect you from fraud anyways per federal law.

I remember when I worked in retail, we were supposed to push push push the credit card protection.  Credit card companies make SOOOOO Much money off of this "protection" when really they are providing very little in return.  It does burn me up a bit...

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
That's horrid LadyS.  I am sorry you fell victim  :cry:

We had this happen last year but it was with our debit card.  The scary thing is it was a waitress at a restaurant we went to that stole our number.  She took our card up for us when we were paying and copied down the number.

Thank god I check my bank account daily because I caught it right away, well after she made two online purchases to the tune of $60 bucks. I could see on my statement where the charges were made.  I then called one of the places and they freely gave me the information on where the items were sent to and the name.   
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »
I have a card through State Farm and they've been great about catching things that I didn't charge. The most notable of which was a $600+ purchase for tickets to Europe that they blocked :drunk:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »
I had my credit card no stolen, thankfully they didn't get anything... they stupidly signed up for Paypal, who promptly blocked both accounts with the same CC number, as it's against their TOS. I had to create a new email addy for my new PP account, and a new CC number, but at least my $$ is safe!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »
This kind of stuff *^%$#!! me off! It would be really nice if the authorties actually did something to the scum that did this stuff. Then maybe there would be an incentive for them not to do it!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
I also had my number stolen last year. I do not know how they got it either? I did not use that card for over two years!!! And the thing was to was they also knew my address to!!!!!!!!! Its kind of sceary!!!!!!!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 07:36:54 PM »
I also had my number stolen last year. I do not know how they got it either? I did not use that card for over two years!!! And the thing was to was they also knew my address to!!!!!!!!! Its kind of sceary!!!!!!!

They probably stole/intercepted your mail. Got a statement, or a re-issued card. Or they hacked your online banking or something. I'm pretty sure mine was from intercepted mail, I can never keep track of paper statements, as I bank online!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 04:55:27 AM »
Wow! Glad you were able to catch this and get it sorted! :hug:

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 12:26:32 AM »
Wow, im glad they found that out. Its scary to think about what could happen.

Thank you valerie :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal