collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Equestria Girls  (Read 14066 times)

Offline Rarityfan2011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Equestria Girls
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2013, 05:38:43 AM »
And so things like the human yay on Youtube became canon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2013, 05:48:16 AM »
Hey, I look at it this way - my wallet is still safe :P

I've been disappointed by everything Hasbro has done since G3 so at this point it really doesn't matter much to me, I don't like buying new things anyway.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Starbright

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2013, 06:12:36 AM »
But...but I like *ponies*... I hope they don't completely abandon FiM and the G4 style.
Collecting G1 and G3 since 2005  :biggrin:

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »
But...but I like *ponies*... I hope they don't completely abandon FiM and the G4 style.

There is already an entire fourth season being produced. There is nothing that indicates that Equestria Girls will replace FIM in any way. If anything, this spin off shows that G4/FIM is doing really well. (Making this freak out look even more silly.) Ponies aren't gone, this is just a little extra.

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2013, 06:35:10 AM »

There is already an entire fourth season being produced. There is nothing that indicates that Equestria Girls will replace FIM in any way. If anything, this spin off shows that G4/FIM is doing really well. (Making this freak out look even more silly.) Ponies aren't gone, this is just a little extra.

Yeah, I think this is really important to remember. In the original article on Equestria Girls from the Toy Fair, a Hasbro exec said that MLP is "top priority brand." So long as the show retains viewers and kids keep buying the toys, ponies are not going to go away, and they certainly won't disappear in favour of human dolls.

If they both do well then that just means more money for Hasbro, and more incentive to continue the line. If Equestria Girls flops then it flops. They tried. The show will end and they'll cease production on the dolls. I don't think that will affect FiM since EG is a spin-off and they will have absolutely nothing to do with each other beyond using the same characters in different forms.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2013, 06:37:13 AM »
I liked the first image we saw a little better. The pony ears and wings are a little much!

I also agree that the clothing is very cookie cutter. I would expect much more diversity in personal expression from the Ponies. I really do wish they'd taken a hint from Monster high in designing the clothes. The MH girl dolls are indeed "all skirts all the time," but they're all still quite unique.

Monster High is very fashion focused. Perhaps this isn't the goal of EG.

Regardless, I welcome this development in the MLP franchise. The My Little Pony TV show and toy line don't show any signs of stopping, and will continue as Equestria Girls does its own thing. Hasbro is too smart to completely kick Ponies of the equine variety to the curb!

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2013, 08:10:43 AM »
Definitely seems like Hasbro's answer to MH, though their niche looks to be different and the crowd that enjoy things that are seen as more traditionally 'girly' or 'feminine' (long hair, skirts/dresses, lippy etc).

When I think about how these designs will translate to toys, they all give the options for Hasbro to use methods that cut their costs - having no horns means they can re-use the facial mould for all the pony-humans and either stick wings into the back of the body or just add fabric ones to the outfit. Making these outfits all dresses (combining the t-shirt/skirt combos into one) saves on the work that goes into pants. As for the shoes and stockings I have no doubt these will be plastic (seeing as Hasbro loves it in pony toy clothes). Meanwhile Pinkie and RD have similar length jackets and jewellery being limited to bangles and a hair clip.

I thought about that because I'm somewhat worried that is what Hasbro will do, unless they can use this to deliver a more competitive price they will lose out to other lines having better detailing IMO.

The addition of the 'pony tails' looks like an afterthought with how the skirts cover some of the connections between 'mane' hair and 'tail' hair, the way the hair appears to act when covered by body parts in general and the weird twist in Twilight's pink streaks... almost as if they may have planned to originally have tails and changed it at some point.

I just don't know about this. I like the boots in addition to the bigger lower legs to give the 'hooves' look, and Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie seem the best out of the lot to me.
Applejack looks ok though rather plain (at least they gave her cowboy boots!)
Twilight I don't mind so much, wish they'd given her a different color for the top
Rarity is also an odd one, why boots instead of heels or something? The light blue would look better even paler
Rainbow Dash is a mess. Jacket and shirt, fine, but a pink skirt seems so unlike her character! Hell, I would have been happy with a rainbow one, though that may be slightly clashy. Why does her 'tail' only seem to be in orange and yellow hues? What's with the random decal on the skirt? Looks like they just went to an attempt of sporty but missed the memo about the tomboy personality.

What happened to the 'you can be any sort of girl you like in any way' line of thinking... I guess Hasbro has well and truly thrown this principle, used to develop the Mane 6 characters; out for their toys.

ETA: Also, similar body shape to MH - 'small' breasts (compared to real-world standards), hips wider than the bosom and somewhat skinny waists. If you were hoping for a different body shape, sorry folks, doesn't look like it this time.

I'll still give it a chance, though it leaves me rather confused. This is a very controversial thing to be doing for the 30th Anniversary, I think if this is it for the celebration then a lot of people are going to be sorely disappointed.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »
So will Princess Celestia the human be pink skinned or white...Inquiring minds wanna know?
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2013, 10:12:24 AM »
I will give it exactly one episode. But if they don't meet a little blond girl in school by the name of Megan that becomes one of the gang by the end of the episode, I am done with it. I want to see Megan if this is what they are doing to celebrate 30 years of MLP.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2013, 10:19:46 AM »
I will give it exactly one episode. But if they don't meet a little blond girl in school by the name of Megan that becomes one of the gang by the end of the episode, I am done with it. I want to see Megan if this is what they are doing to celebrate 30 years of MLP.
My group is working on that kind of 30th anniversary tribute.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »

Megan will be too old. I want to see her daughter hanging out. her name's Maggie.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »
DO NOT WANT.  :mad:

Definitely not. Horrifying.

this.

but i will say  that  agian  if people liek and buy them  go for it. i wont  be.   
Also agreeing with this...

I have seen some human forms of the G4 cast before that I thought looked very nice, but that concept art... Is not one of them. Like some others, I'm thoroughly disappointed to see them all in skirts - Including RD who would look so much better in something else.

This is not what I was hoping for, especially not for the 30th Anniversary.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »
YUK..... that is all that i can say at the moment...  :( 
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
I agree, LadyMoondancer (although there's quite a few boots and miniskirts in the first MH line too ;)) I feel like Monster High is aimed at a slightly older audience than the Equestria Girls, though? (Although I know MH has lots of under-8ish fans too, of course.) Have we seen anything that says what EG's target age group is? To me it seems like it'll closer to the Lalaloopsy age group, a bit older, but not as old as MH. Maybe similar to Disney Fairies' audience?

Ya know, I love MH, and if these dolls are anything like MH in terms of being ball-jointed and having new characters, I may be interested. But I don't these to be THE new MLP, ya know? I want ponies to still be made.....new characters mainly. But I cannot lie.....I think they will make pretty dolls if done right. But I don't want this to be  the only MLP line left.

I don't think it will be (I hope it won't be)... I bet there'll always be demand for cute pony toys :biggrin:

They said in a release pre Toy Fair that Equestria Girls [whatever it is] was going to be aimed at teenage girls and older.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
You know, since they're gonna be dolls, that probably explains why they're all the same shape. Cheaper to produce the same body over and over with colour changes, and not have to change the clothing measurements.

Which is a shame, I always liked the anthro pony art that has Pinkie as short and chubby (goes well with bouncey) and Rarity as tall  and elegant.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal