collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Curing smokey ponies?  (Read 411 times)

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
Curing smokey ponies?
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:39:12 PM »
I bought a pony off eBay for a swap and when I recieved it, the package smelt really smokey, then I opened up the pony and it smelt like smoke... Well the mane did, the tail smells clean and the rest of the pony seems fine.

In the listing it says it's a non smoking and pet free home, so I'm confused. :huh:

I don't want my partner to get a smelly pony. Could I please get tips on how to cure it? I'd really appreciate it. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Re: Curing smokey ponies?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »
Someone here wrote the other day that they completely got rid of cigarette smoke smell with liquid fabric softener. You might try that!

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »
Putting it into a box with a couple of scented dryer sheets can work well :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:27:41 PM »
I put mine in a container lined in baking soda with a protective layer of paper towel over it, since baking soda can harm paint. After two weeks or so I pull them out and let them air out, and then they smell pretty fine.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »
I'd try putting some fabric softner (mixed with water) in a spray bottle, misting her down then rinsing her off and seeing if that works. I usually use baking soda and that can take weeks, guessing you don't have the luxury of time.

Because the body doesn't stink and the packaging did, could it have been your delivery driver smoking with the parcels? Or perhaps the seller used a very stinky box they got.  :mad:

dryer sheets- I don't have asthma but I feel like my throat is closing and I've thrown up from the smell when I get a package with a sheet stuck inside (done for unmentioned smoke ponies- wasn't pleased). all I can smell is chemical scent + smoke stink  :X At least the fabric softener won't leave a harsh smell once it's rinsed out.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:48 PM »
I'm always leery of putting chemicals on ponies; it often happens that bad side-effects turn up months, years down the road.  If you do go the dryer sheet/fabric softener route, make sure you wash it off very very well and leave plenty of time for the pony to dry out completely before packaging.  Shipping wet ponies has lead to a mouldy arrival in the past!

Myself I prefer the baking soda route, since it doesn't run the risk of direct exposure to chemicals, and no icky perfume scents. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »
I'd try putting some fabric softner (mixed with water) in a spray bottle, misting her down then rinsing her off and seeing if that works. I usually use baking soda and that can take weeks, guessing you don't have the luxury of time.

Because the body doesn't stink and the packaging did, could it have been your delivery driver smoking with the parcels? Or perhaps the seller used a very stinky box they got.  :mad:

dryer sheets- I don't have asthma but I feel like my throat is closing and I've thrown up from the smell when I get a package with a sheet stuck inside (done for unmentioned smoke ponies- wasn't pleased). all I can smell is chemical scent + smoke stink  :X At least the fabric softener won't leave a harsh smell once it's rinsed out.

I'll try the fabric softener as yeah I don't have that much time to spare. :)

The package smelt bad, Australia is having bush fires at the moment I don't know if that effects it? Or the driver was smoking. :x

Thanks heaps for the advice everyone. ^.^

Post Merge: March 01, 2013, 09:45:09 PM

I'm always leery of putting chemicals on ponies; it often happens that bad side-effects turn up months, years down the road.  If you do go the dryer sheet/fabric softener route, make sure you wash it off very very well and leave plenty of time for the pony to dry out completely before packaging.  Shipping wet ponies has lead to a mouldy arrival in the past!

Myself I prefer the baking soda route, since it doesn't run the risk of direct exposure to chemicals, and no icky perfume scents. 

Maybe I'll do this first I have a bit of time, the baking soda won't hurt the pony right? :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:45:09 PM by Princess-Sparkles »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »
Baking soda- As not as it's not in direct contact it's fine. I sprinkle into a tub, line with fabric then place the pony on top and seal the tub and wait. Make sure the soda is fresh. :)

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
if you are in a hurry remove the ponies head put it in a mix of baking soda and water (I use heaps of baking soda about 1/4 cup) and soak it for a couple of days. Normally I do it for 3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »
The age old baking soda or kitty litter followed by fresh air...and repeat process...usually works but as mentioned before this can take a couple of days to several weeks depending on how bad the smell is.

I do like the idea of plugging the tail hole and filling the inside of the pony with diluted fabric softener and misting her on the outside with it afterwards however. That's an interesting idea but not one I have tried yet and I could believe it would probably be very effective as long as the softener is completely rinsed from the pony inside and out and as long as you use it diluted so its not too intense in content or smell.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline rosesare

• Trade Count: (+298)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:42:18 AM »
I read somewhere that putting them in the freezer helps too.  Mostly for me whenever I've gotten smokey ponies it's a lot of fresh air and time that seems to help the most.  There's some great ideas here though :) 

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
I read the title of the thread to fast and honestly thought you wanted to do this to your ponies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curing_(food_preservation)#Smoke
I'll put something here some time

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

OH- thank you for adding the mold warning! Slipped my mind to mention it. Good catch.

As for fabric softener it's pretty tame. People have been using it to soften hair frizz for years now (there was a time flat irons were feared in the community so many would soak hair in softener to at least make bad hair feel a little softer). Still, you want to rinse it out very well. Nobody wants a pony with a film of product still left on her. I offered it as a suggestion from Blueroses recent discovery of it working well at removing odors as well. :)

Other then that, am I the only one who ends up with a horrid migraine from opening a package with a dryer sheet inside to cover/remove bad odors? Instant pain an nausea. If I happen to be a very rare exception and dryer sheets aren't frowned upon perhaps it is an option to keep her dry so you don't have to worry about shipping her with moisture trapped inside?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 12:17:15 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
As a general rule I'd shy away from shipping a pony wrapped in anything scented - unless you know for a fact your swap buddy isn't allergic to anything.  Physical reactions to strong scents are actually fairly common - perfume makes me nauseous, so does smoke. 

Silica gel packets are scent-free, a viable alternative (though more expensive, unless you happen to have some lying around from a pair of new shoes or something.)
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal