collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 15  (Read 35372 times)

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Discussion 15
« Reply #1215 on: March 14, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »
adult line of monster high
Monster U, if you will?  :P
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #1216 on: March 14, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »
Hmm. I can understand that. But if I went in depth with this, and gathered evidence, information, everything i could to show them it would be a profitable idea, would they at least consider it? And maybe i try to go directly to the source rather than just through fan mail or whatever.

Highly doubtful. Which sucks, because I have LOADS of ideas for them! *hmph*

animal_lover

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1217 on: March 14, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
adult line of monster high
Monster U, if you will?  :P

:lol: That's AWESOME!

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 11:04:29 AM

Hmm. I can understand that. But if I went in depth with this, and gathered evidence, information, everything i could to show them it would be a profitable idea, would they at least consider it? And maybe i try to go directly to the source rather than just through fan mail or whatever.

Well, believe it or not I'm actually very serious about this. If it's not with Mattel then I'll try different toy companies. I just need to know if collectors would even back the idea up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:04:29 AM by animal_lover »

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #1218 on: March 14, 2013, 11:11:35 AM »

Well, believe it or not I'm actually very serious about this. If it's not with Mattel then I'll try different toy companies. I just need to know if collectors would even back the idea up.

Well, if you're going to dream, dream big right? I personally wouldn't get my hopes up about it, but best of luck to you. I don't think that gathering a group of people to back you up is the best course of action though.

Offline Jenn77

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 14, 2013, 11:18:11 AM »
Two new images of Gigi Grant were posted to the official Monster High facebook:

That's not fair!!! I was all for her being on my not want list...pouts and goes sulks in a corner...actually that wasn't me but my wallet doing that lol  Really though I hope that picture was edited to make her look good..runs from mad mob... Otherwise I am in trouble if she looks even close to this good in person  ^.^
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

animal_lover

« Reply #1220 on: March 14, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »

Well, if you're going to dream, dream big right? I personally wouldn't get my hopes up about it, but best of luck to you. I don't think that gathering a group of people to back you up is the best course of action though.

I just meant more along the lines of I'd like to know if people even like the idea of having an adult line. Because if they don't, then there's really no point in even trying to get one. I know it's a long shot. I'm not saying I'm just going to march in to whatever toy company expecting them to take the idea. But I don't really see the harm in trying either though. The worst that could happen is they say no.

Idk, maybe I'm just crazy. But at least I have an idea and enough balls to at least try to make it work. I don't mean that in a rude way to anyone else. I'm just saying.

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 14, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
Which stores sell the new swim dolls? I'm thinking about getting Lagoona or Draculaura but I want to see them in person first. I haven't seen them at Walmart or Target, so I'm guessing they're not sold there?
Also Kmart, Barnes & Noble

The Kmart near me had at least 15 Swim Lagoonas. A couple of Lalas and a Venus on the very top shelf!

Anyone know where I could find a Roller Maze Clawdeen? 

I found her yesterday at Kmart and Walmart.

I have seen her 3 times at Target, and found a pretty one finally at Kmart on the bottom shelf hiding. 

3/4 of the RM Clawdeens that I've seen had their eyes printed up super high or a messy triple lip application... has anyone had the same issue?

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 14, 2013, 11:51:38 AM »
3/4 of the RM Clawdeens that I've seen had their eyes printed up super high or a messy triple lip application... has anyone had the same issue?

Yeah me. I had to look at three different stores before finding one that is acceptable. She still has one eye that is slightly larger than the other, but every other incarnation of her had either had their eyes printed far above/below the socket or had the right (her right) eye tilted in a super weird angle.. like so (` _ -).

D:

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:53 AM »
Which stores sell the new swim dolls? I'm thinking about getting Lagoona or Draculaura but I want to see them in person first. I haven't seen them at Walmart or Target, so I'm guessing they're not sold there?
Don't forget any Kroger brand stores that have toy departments! That's where I've gotten my Swimline Venuses!
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: March 14, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »
Don't forget any Kroger brand stores that have toy departments! That's where I've gotten my Swimline Venuses!

Did anyone mention Books a Million? I think they get MH stuff.
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 14, 2013, 12:13:23 PM »

I just meant more along the lines of I'd like to know if people even like the idea of having an adult line. Because if they don't, then there's really no point in even trying to get one. I know it's a long shot. I'm not saying I'm just going to march in to whatever toy company expecting them to take the idea. But I don't really see the harm in trying either though. The worst that could happen is they say no.

Idk, maybe I'm just crazy. But at least I have an idea and enough balls to at least try to make it work. I don't mean that in a rude way to anyone else. I'm just saying.

Yeah, honestly, every toy company out there is highly unlikely to take outside ideas for numerous (and generally entirely justified) intellectual property/legal reasons. If a company did accept fan input, it'd be under one of those "any suggestions you submit become the property of the company and you give up all rights to them" clauses. And even then, it's doubtful what ideas if any they might use; they have their own design and marketing teams.

Yeah me. I had to look at three different stores before finding one that is acceptable. She still has one eye that is slightly larger than the other, but every other incarnation of her had either had their eyes printed far above/below the socket or had the right (her right) eye tilted in a super weird angle.. like so (` _ -).

D:

Yikes! The one RM Clawdeen that I've seen (and snagged) seems fine... although I'm not the best at wonky-eye spotting, I think I'd've noticed that  :lol: Bad QC is so frustrating especially when it's on a doll that's already shortpacked and proving hard to find...

The German toy site we've been seeing new pics on just put the Music Festival doll listings up today, with a release date of August. Every time I see that Venus I want her even more! Still no Heath/Abbey pics though, and their listing is still down... and so we wait... XD
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 14, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
animal_lover, from what I understand, Mattel doesn't take ideas from outside sources. If you wanted to work with them you'd have to be employed by them first.

This. Mattel never takes suggestions from emails. If they did, they would have tons of 12-year-olds going "CAN U MAKE MY OC?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" (Actually, they probably get emails like that already, anyway...)

Mattel and similar companies do not accept ideas from outside sources, like PandaBerry said. They've even said as much when they have been contacted by people here. There are too many copyright issues. You might be able to contact "the source", but typically that arm of the corporation only interacts with other companies, and it's usually for merchandising. New characters and lines would be considered "intellectual property" and companies want to keep that in-house.

Something else to consider is that something like this would be a rather big break from the main franchise. It would require focus groups, and lots of research, not just making queries on fan boards. Fan boards shouldn't be discounted, of course; I know for a fact that Mattel reads the original MH board on LJ. But it's just a small part of where they get their data. Even if they were to take a concept from an outside source, I'm not sure if you have the resources to collect the necessary information. Just based off of what you've posted here; my apologies if I'm wrong :)

The final issue is whether or not a college setting would sell. It's a concept that a large portion of their target audience wouldn't be able to relate to. High school is far away enough to be "glamorous" to middle schoolers, but still relatable. Even outside the child/tween market, high school is something almost everyone has experienced; college is not. It's part of the reason that so much popular media avoids using it as a setting; shows either focus on a high school setting, or a "real world/career" setting.

Of course, this is all just coming from a random forum poster :P If you want to do the legwork and then contact Mattel, you don't need my "permission" lol. Just a little insight that might save you some time :)

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 14, 2013, 12:17:13 PM »
I can confirm I've seen the SC dolls at Books-A-Million.

Fred11706

« Reply #1228 on: March 14, 2013, 12:41:05 PM »
animal_lover, from what I understand, Mattel doesn't take ideas from outside sources. If you wanted to work with them you'd have to be employed by them first.

This. Mattel never takes suggestions from emails. If they did, they would have tons of 12-year-olds going "CAN U MAKE MY OC?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" (Actually, they probably get emails like that already, anyway...)

Mattel and similar companies do not accept ideas from outside sources, like PandaBerry said. They've even said as much when they have been contacted by people here. There are too many copyright issues. You might be able to contact "the source", but typically that arm of the corporation only interacts with other companies, and it's usually for merchandising. New characters and lines would be considered "intellectual property" and companies want to keep that in-house.

Something else to consider is that something like this would be a rather big break from the main franchise. It would require focus groups, and lots of research, not just making queries on fan boards. Fan boards shouldn't be discounted, of course; I know for a fact that Mattel reads the original MH board on LJ. But it's just a small part of where they get their data. Even if they were to take a concept from an outside source, I'm not sure if you have the resources to collect the necessary information. Just based off of what you've posted here; my apologies if I'm wrong :)

The final issue is whether or not a college setting would sell. It's a concept that a large portion of their target audience wouldn't be able to relate to. High school is far away enough to be "glamorous" to middle schoolers, but still relatable. Even outside the child/tween market, high school is something almost everyone has experienced; college is not. It's part of the reason that so much popular media avoids using it as a setting; shows either focus on a high school setting, or a "real world/career" setting.

Of course, this is all just coming from a random forum poster :P If you want to do the legwork and then contact Mattel, you don't need my "permission" lol. Just a little insight that might save you some time :)

I couldn't agree more. Speaking from personal experience as a freelance illustrator; when there is an established brand, like Monster High, all the original art work, character design, new characters etc is done "in house". They may hire you to color a book but not to overhaul the brand. While I could see Mattel reading some fan feedback to get an idea of what characters the fans want to get their hands on, I couldn't see them completely going in a different direction. Monster high currently is only second to Barbie, why would they need to appeal to the adult collector when that's a small market compared to the Tween market. Also you wouldn't be able to pitch the idea to another toy company as Mattel owns the rights to monster high exclusively. You could shop a similar adult collector doll to another toy company but you'd have to make it so different where Mattel wouldn't sue you for violation of intellectual property. Good luck though it seems like you have some ideas. Maybe create your own line of dolls.

animal_lover

« Reply #1229 on: March 14, 2013, 12:41:21 PM »
Wow, ok. I guess I'm just some crazy person then.  :lol: I'm just going to stop talking now.

Idk if I'm just being over sensitive or what but way to make a girl feel completely stupid just for having an idea.  :blush: Sheesh!

Post Merge: March 14, 2013, 12:43:31 PM

I couldn't agree more. Speaking from personal experience as a freelance illustrator; when there is an established brand, like Monster High, all the original art work, character design, new characters etc is done "in house". They may hire you to color a book but not to overhaul the brand. While I could see Mattel reading some fan feedback to get an idea of what characters the fans want to get their hands on, I couldn't see them completely going in a different direction. Monster high currently is only second to Barbie, why would they need to appeal to the adult collector when that's a small market compared to the Tween market. Also you wouldn't be able to pitch the idea to another toy company as Mattel owns the rights to Mattel exclusively. You could shop a similar adult collector doll to another toy company but you'd have to make it so different where Mattel wouldn't sue you for violation of intellectual property. Good luck though it seems like you have some ideas. Maybe create your own line of dolls.

I'm not saying they have to completely overhaul the brand and get rid of what they have now. I just meant for them to have an adult branch off of that.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:43:31 PM by animal_lover »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal