collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Doll Customization: Hair and paint questions  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Wrenn_Rosencrantz

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Somewhere over the rainbow...
    • View Profile
Doll Customization: Hair and paint questions
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
Okay, so I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge and start dabbling in customizing dolls for myself.  I have a few questions though.

I'm going to be getting my hair through Dollyhair.com (unless there's a reason not to?), and I was wondering how many 36" hanks of saran I would need for one monster high doll?

Next, I've heard watercolor pencils are THE THING to do MH faces with.  Is this true?

Finally, which would be the best way to do a doll's head?  Needle/knot way or the re-root tool?  I've seen such good arguments for both!

Thank you so much!
Wrenn's Wish List! visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
Re: Doll Customization: Hair and paint questions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »
i used the reroot tool, too lazy for the other.
i know i used a whole hank of hair meant for mlp and still have half a head. and that's one of the werewolves (space for ears)'

my friend has had mixed results with wc pencils.
i usually use acrylics. after my first rehair. i think i will always rehair before i do the face.
you handle it so much, there just too much risk of leaving fingerprints or dirt on the paint job.
easy enough to tie the hair back and do it after.

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:43:19 AM »
You're a mind reader, rosierjay!  I was wondering which one should be done first, hair or makeup.  I was of the same idea, but since I've never done it, I was skeptical.

How stong is the re-root with the tool?  I've had fears of combing it after and the hair coming out, or worse, glue seepage out the plug holes.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
not that far yet. still in the middle of my first rehair. ran out of hair. waiting for more to come.

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »
Well, I just ordered some hair.  Hopefully I'll have enough.  I'm still curious about the faceup material, but we'll just have to wait and see.  I guess I'll do the knot method for re-rooting.  I couldn't get the re-root tool.

Offline Airiel

• Trade Count: (+69)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Professional Parasol Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »
I end up using a lot of hair. I would say at least two MLP hanks. But, I leave the hair at a quarter length (9.5 inches), so I think it eats up more hair. I usually paint the scalp, let it sit while I tie the hair, and paint the face last, because you end up handling the head a LOT when you rehair and you end up wearing the paint off! If you aren't going to repaint the face, covering the paint in masking tape protects it very well, and it doesn't leave a sticky mess or take any of the paint off when you remove it. I like to use acrylic paints for everything, but I am sure you can get awesome results with watercolor pencils, I've never tried. I hope that helps!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Airiel

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"Just when the caterpillar thought her world was over, she became a butterfly."

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:44:33 AM »
It does!  Thank you very much!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »
Next, I've heard watercolor pencils are THE THING to do MH faces with.  Is this true?

I love watercolor pencils! But it really depends which ones you buy.

Polychromos are very popular but also expensive.
Recently, I bought a set of noname, cheap watercolors and while they came out great on paper, they were too soft for face-ups. The trick is to keep the pencil always as pointy and sharp as possible to achieve good detailing results.
When your pencils are too soft you will notice it's way harder to work with them.
They tend to smear and leave little chunks of paint.

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
I love watercolor pencils! But it really depends which ones you buy.

Polychromos are very popular but also expensive.
Recently, I bought a set of noname, cheap watercolors and while they came out great on paper, they were too soft for face-ups. The trick is to keep the pencil always as pointy and sharp as possible to achieve good detailing results.
When your pencils are too soft you will notice it's way harder to work with them.
They tend to smear and leave little chunks of paint.

I've heard both Prismacolor and Derwant are the ones to go with.  Thank you so much for the advice!  I'd like to try a blend of paint, pastels and acrylics, if I can.  The trouble is, the acylics I have smell like metal.  (Ew)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »
http://madeleinemaistudios.tumblr.com/post/36497847961/customtutorialmaterials1  This has been really helpful to me as far as learning what materials are what and how to use them :) And she is super sweet and very helpful when it comes to answering questions.

Offline Psivampyr

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 10:04:03 PM »
I didn't buy a reroot tool off a site, I built my own. I bought a small exacto grip stick thing from a craft store (Hobby Town USA) and it came with 3 tiny drill bits which I used the middle sized one to drill holes into the CAM head. I bought size 3-5 needles at Micheals craft store. My husband cut the needle in half and cut the eye so it was like a reroot tool on the websites. I tried doing the hair with out drilling holes and the needle broke, so I drilled the holes. The holes kinda collapsed on themselves once the bit was removed, so it didn't make the hole too big. I had the doll done in about 2 hours.
I hope this helps anyone here who was thinking of getting a reroot tool. I did spend about 15.00 to make it, which is par with site prices except you would have to pay for shipping and wait for it to arrive.

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
Thank you guys so much for your responses.  I really appreciate it.  I can't wait for the doll hair to arrive!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »
I just need to adjust my shipping prices for the tool, but I do make and sell reroot tools. They are $10 + shipping and they come with two needles. Shipping was $2 within the USA, and I don't think the price went up that much, but I have to check. It was about $4 outside the USA, but I need to adjust that too. It's probably more like $8.50 to ship outside the USA now. Stupid shipping increases :(

If you like, send me a PM, and I will make sure to notify you once my store is updated :)

They are super easy to make, but I offer these for the people who would rather not make their own. Mostly people just buy a lot of needles from me. I have to say that I don't know how compatible my needles are for other tools, because I cut them specifically to fit the handles I use.

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 07:18:34 AM »
If you use watercolor pencils, what do you use to seal the face with?

Rainsong

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 07:39:25 AM »
You can use Workable Fixitif between layers, but final seal you usually want something like MSC (Mr. Super Clear).

A lot of people will say Modge Podge. BUT, Modge Podge is a glue - I've heard of it going tacky and attracting dust after awhile in other doll uses, esp. in humid areas/times.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal