collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: best way to color mh limbs black  (Read 842 times)

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
best way to color mh limbs black
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:17:25 PM »
trying to finish up a custom, and i'm pretty sure just acrylic paint isn't going to cut it on this one.
at least not for the long haul.

still want to be able to change clothes and shoes, so it should be something durable.

Offline Angellove

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: best way to color mh limbs black
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:20:49 AM »
I am going to say spray paint. I have not used it yet but if you get one for plastic. the coverage would be nice without a lot of bulk from paint.
You can't dye monster high dolls.

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 09:23:23 AM »
I don't have any advice, but good luck.  I'll be interested to see if you find a good solution.

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
No paint or dye is going to stand constant rubbing from clothes and shoe changes...  :|
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
best way to color mh limbs black
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »
Spray paint for cars. Specifically vinyl spray paint. You will have to clean the mold release from the body first. Either lightly sand it, or wipe it down swiftly with acetone then rinse it. I say swiftly because acetone will eat the plastic if left on it too long.

This is just based on the tutorials I have read. I haven't actually customized one yet.

Good thing about the vinyl spray is that it adheres to the heads almost perfectly, allowing you to squish and scratch them no problem. It's just very very limited in color. 

Offline mermaid_splash

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+167)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:17:05 AM »
I've used white spray paint on an older CAM skeleton I did.  It is the kind made for plastics.  I did use a primer and a sealer, Mr Super Clear and I did sand her joints down.  I haven't been successful in stopping peeling around joints though :(  Clothes were not a problem at all.  The shoulder socket was the worst, any time I moved for a pose there was some kind of rub.  This was post sanding, and letting all layers cure 24 hours before adding another.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:57:29 PM »
Spray paint for cars. Specifically vinyl spray paint. You will have to clean the mold release from the body first. Either lightly sand it, or wipe it down swiftly with acetone then rinse it. I say swiftly because acetone will eat the plastic if left on it too long.

This is just based on the tutorials I have read. I haven't actually customized one yet.

Good thing about the vinyl spray is that it adheres to the heads almost perfectly, allowing you to squish and scratch them no problem. It's just very very limited in color. 

This works! It's pretty sturdy on the joint etc., too.
You should be able to get black! I have white, so I'm sure black will be available as well. ^^

If you use a clear sealer on top of it, changing shoes and clothes might be fine, too - If you do it carefully and not too often. I've not tried myself, but the spray paint is a) pretty sturdy to begin with and b) you'd scratch off the clear sealer first.

Good luck! :D

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
I have not heard good things about full body paints.  Even the best customizers out there swear they won't do it again:(

I'm not sure if it's been confirmed, but people are assuming Catty Noir will have a black body.  If I were you, I'd save myself some trouble and wait it out, and use her.

Unless, of course, you need this done right now :lol:  Then I guess you'll have to play around with the painting :yucky:
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
I sprayed a Skelita white with said car-paint! It worked great - But then again it might be easier on her since her body ain't as smooth as the others. :|

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »
wow this is great advice!!
i'm only painting the hands, calves to toes and the forearms. so i only have the hand joints to worry about and that little piece of plastic takes to dye really well. so i can just dye it black and paint the rest. this is awesome!! thanks!

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »
I sprayed a Skelita white with said car-paint! It worked great - But then again it might be easier on her since her body ain't as smooth as the others. :|

White on white wouldn't show too much wear and tear.  I was thinking more along the lines of a CAM Vamp base, with a black coat of full body paint :huh:  I've seen it done.  No.  Just no :nope:

wow this is great advice!!
i'm only painting the hands, calves to toes and the forearms. so i only have the hand joints to worry about and that little piece of plastic takes to dye really well. so i can just dye it black and paint the rest. this is awesome!! thanks!

Oh.  That's great to hear.  I don't foresee too much trouble there:)  I don't know why I thought we were talking about a full body repaint?  Anyway, my comment before was based on that, not what you are ACTUALLY doing :lol:  Sorry about that :blush:
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:38:10 PM »
What about coloring around the peeling prone areas with permanent marker. First?
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »
I don't know anything about customizing, but what about model paint? For model cars and airplanes?
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 04:09:10 AM »
I don't know anything about customizing, but what about model paint? For model cars and airplanes?

I think that could be a good idea! After all it is made to stick to hard plastics, no?
I wish I had some to try, but I left everything in my dad's basement when I moved out. :7

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal