collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Mimic cost in 1998  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
Re: What Mimic cost in 1998
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
I remember buying Argentina ponies on card for $15-20 back in the 90's. Wish they were still priced that way :/

Definitely sad I missed this!
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »
I bought my mimic for $35 and thought that it was sooo expensive! I then later traded her. Still regret it! I remember passing up red roses for 6$ because I wanted lavender lake instead..

I also bought two moc Greek parasols off eBay for a total of 65$ when we had that Greek flood.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:42:17 PM by Mermaid »
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »
I bought my mimic for $35 and thought that it was sooo expensive! I then later traded her. Still regret it! I remember passing up red roses for 6$ because I wanted lavender lake instead..

I also bought two moc Greek parasols off eBay for a total of 65$ when we had that Greek flood.
:dribble: Greek flood?
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 03:59:39 PM »
Those were the days, haha! I got my Mimic for $30 in eBay in '99 or 2000, I think. At the time she was a really big purchase for me. :P

Edit to add:
Regarding "any non-US pony"... my first international trade in '98 was for NSS Magic Star in Tootsie's pose. To get her, I sent a birthflower, Gusty, & a year 3 adult sea pony. :dies: What is she worth these days... about $5?? :P

Also I remember Baby Cherries Jubilee (& the other German babies & the non-BBE's) being a $100+ pony for awhile.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:06:50 PM by kitkatvintage »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
Oh yeah, I remember the Greek flood.   That seller must have found old store stock, he had soooo many MOC Greek ponies, mostly Rainbows and ponies like Moondancer and Glory.  It was the same thing with the Dutch ponies for a while, MOC Heart-Pony and Singalong-Pony selling for $26 - $45 each.

My Mimic came from a lot of about 30 or 40 ponies and I paid somewhere between $75 and $100 for the lot, which was an incredible amount at the time.  Lots always went for so much less than individual ponies!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »
*stares at page*. Wow, look at those prices.  Of course, a lot of ponies are missing - including almost the whole second set of so softs.  Were they just harder to find at that time?

I would love to score a Diamond Dreams for $10.  Still wouldn't spend $40 on Mimic.  :P  I started collecting in 2006 and I think she was selling for $60-$75 then but that was also too expensive for me.

Even in 2006, it was easier to find g1s while thrifting and going to the flea market.  That said, I'm sure it was much easier in the mid-1990s (I wouldn't know; I was collecting Barbie and Disney at that time.)

If I had a time machine, though, I'd go back to the 1980s.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Mermaid

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »
Ahhhh kitkat the things we did for international ponies! I remember trading a ss crumpet, ss angle, ss twilight and a ss paradise for a NSS wind whistler and Italian lickity split. I also paid $100 for a baby cherries jubilee and $50 for a baby bowtie. Yikes!

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 10:37:25 AM »
Man. I wish I had been more into ebay then. I do remember seeing MOC Greeks for like $80-100. I wish I had had more money back then. But then again, those were the days when I thought it was a great accomplishment to have every adult pony from the first three years. Not realizing how common most of them were. lol

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 01:18:10 PM »
Those were the days, haha! I got my Mimic for $30 in eBay in '99 or 2000, I think. At the time she was a really big purchase for me. :P

Edit to add:
Regarding "any non-US pony"... my first international trade in '98 was for NSS Magic Star in Tootsie's pose. To get her, I sent a birthflower, Gusty, & a year 3 adult sea pony. :dies: What is she worth these days... about $5?? :P

Also I remember Baby Cherries Jubilee (& the other German babies & the non-BBE's) being a $100+ pony for awhile.

Lol! Yes this is exactly what I remember with NSS Magic Star her initial prices were crazy. Back then KKV that would have been considered a good deal for both sides!

Also anyone remember what Baby Hopscotch used to go for...I used to watch auctions for anything from $150 to $200 for the first 2 or 3 that popped up.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2013, 03:38:24 PM »
Gad zooks, im hopping in my delorean...8 smackas for red roses? Gotta love inflation...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Mermaid

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52:45 PM »
I blame tuneful solely for the rise in price of red roses and sea flower lol

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 10:26:05 PM »
I lucked out and was able to get a Mimic for $2.50 at a flea market.
Also managed to pick up two mountain boys and a nss Magic Star on the same day! Best day ever!

Will pony prices keep on rising, or will the bottom fall out of the market like it did with ty beanie babies?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2013, 06:12:54 AM »
MLP prices rose more "naturally" than Beanie Baby prices, which were fueled by a crazy craze of . . . crazed people.   Part of it is simply inflation and part, I think, is because pony collectors are more likely to have disposable incomes now.   Almost every collector I knew in the 90s was a teenager or a young college kid.   (Though there were exceptions to that, like the Delaneys.)  These days there are still plenty of teens and college kids in the community, but also quite a lot of people with established careers and extra dollars to blow.

Mimic AND Mountain Boys AND NSS Magic Star?   *faints dead away*  You lucky duck! :D  I seem to remember the NSSs being worth quite a bit when they first came on the scene, because so many people loved their show characters but hated the So-Soft flocking.  And the NBBE babies?  Everyone wanted them!

Also anyone remember what Baby Hopscotch used to go for...I used to watch auctions for anything from $150 to $200 for the first 2 or 3 that popped up.

And the German / Austrian exclusive Rainbow ponies!   Very early on I bought Raindrop and Nightlight for $150 each and alternate Skydancer for $200, which were high but not unreasonable prices at the time.  The most I have ever spent on a pony, I think!  I have to say, though, they were totally MINT.  Strangely, they were owned by a girl in California, her childhood ponies.  Maybe she was in a military family or maybe her folks just traveled a lot.  She also had Baby Hopscotch, Baby Cherries Jubilee, etc, WITH their backcards, and they went for hundreds of dollars each.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:19:00 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal