collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm stuck with a sparrow..  (Read 1652 times)

RedKitsune

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I'm stuck with a sparrow..
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
Despite the old saying that wild animals do not make good pets...that isn't always true. This especially goes for baby birds. Some retain their wild instinct, others bond so closely you would think they were completely domesticated.

Every spring I pick up baby doves and grackles that are abandoned or drop out of nests in our local park. I always immediately bring them to a wildlife rehabber. One spring I couldn't find anyone to bring a baby dove to that had been blown out of it's nest in a recent storm. So I had to feed the bird myself and take care of it, or slowly watch it die. It became so tame, it would snuggle up to me and liked being petted. I eventually found an expert on wild doves to give the dove to. I felt so bad to give the poor thing up. It didn't want to leave me x_x; However, I have three cats, all of which have killed wild birds in the past. It's also illegal here.

The thing I find so odd about your story is that the bird is an adult. Every single adult bird I have rescued is scared to death of people. I wouldn't be surprised if someone was keeping that bird as a pet before you discovered it. In which case, if you leave the bird alone alone outside, it will surely die. I know it's probably illegal to keep the bird as a pet. However, I would watch the bird for a few more days. If it sits on your shoulder and will let you freely handle it, that is not a normal wild bird. It will need to go to someone with license for handling wildlife and live in a captive setting, but just letting it go in the wild is as good as letting one of your cats have it : /
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:52:23 PM by RedKitsune »

Dibbles

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
Awwww... how could you resist a little sparrow?

To go slightly off-topic...it's definitely possible. Birds creep me out. They have talons and beaks. I'm afraid of them and worry one will fly at me.
They're the equivalent of rats for me - I love rats and mice and don't see them as dirty but I think of birds as filthy. This might be a prejudice, but it's a legitimate fear.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 04:49:26 PM »
Awwww... how could you resist a little sparrow?

To go slightly off-topic...it's definitely possible. Birds creep me out. They have talons and beaks. I'm afraid of them and worry one will fly at me.
They're the equivalent of rats for me - I love rats and mice and don't see them as dirty but I think of birds as filthy. This might be a prejudice, but it's a legitimate fear.

Aww, that's okay, Dibbles. ^.^  You can have my rats, I'll take your birds, and we can meet in the middle on mice (too cute!). ;)

Everyone is weirded out by different things.  Some people, it's clowns, others are freaked out by dogs or cats... my personal bugaboo is monkeys - even sock monkeys - and chimpanzees, though not gorillas or orang-utans.  Granted, they're not as common round these parts (thank goodness!), but every time I've gone to the zoo... *shudder*
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

scaradango

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »

Everyone is weirded out by different things.  Some people, it's clowns, others are freaked out by dogs or cats... my personal bugaboo is monkeys - even sock monkeys - and chimpanzees, though not gorillas or orang-utans.  Granted, they're not as common round these parts (thank goodness!), but every time I've gone to the zoo... *shudder*

You are not alone on this. Monkeys freak me out, too. I do pretty much everything in my power to avoid the primate house.
The weird thing is that I really like gorillas and orangs (though, like you, I am not a fan of chimps)! And lemurs. Those don't bug me at all.

Anyways, the sparrow! How's it doing? Have you found a rehab center or vet for it?

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 10:59:49 AM »
Other anti-monkey people! I really don't mind some smaller cute species of monkey, but apes really creep me out. Anything that reminds me of people except behaves in a crude primitive way creeps me out, even people (lol). I remember watching a nat geo production on chimps and they raided another troop and ate a captured infant whole. I hate sock monkeys too.

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
Okay just an update. The sparrow recovered and was released!  :)

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
I am glad to hear they are ok, I just love all sorts of birds.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 03:54:13 PM »
Hurray!  Glad to hear it. ^.^

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
I'm gla to hear. I bet he was just waiting for warmer weather.

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »
Aww this story is sweet ^-^

I have a little bit of an irrational fear of birds. I don't mind chickens as I used to own them, but other than that I'm kind of afraid of a bird going on a wild pecking/clawing attack lol. I was attacked by a peacock when I was a kid so I guess I'm scarred xD But one time in high school we did have a bird hit our window and it stunned itself so we caught it with a towel and put it in a cage with some water and more towels to lay on. We just had to wait for it to get its wits back to it, about 45 minutes, and then let it free and it flew away. I almost wished I could keep it haha.
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »
Anything that reminds me of people except behaves in a crude primitive way creeps me out, even people (lol).

LOL, I feel the same way!! Primates are, like, the only animals I'm not crazy about, mainly because they remind me so much of people :P

And yay for the sparrow! ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »
I'm glad to hear that he recovered!  I hope you named him Jack.  :D

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 09:11:43 PM »
Anything that reminds me of people except behaves in a crude primitive way creeps me out, even people (lol).

LOL, I feel the same way!! Primates are, like, the only animals I'm not crazy about, mainly because they remind me so much of people :P

And yay for the sparrow! ^^

Amen, sister!
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »
Im soo happy that hes back out there and has healed :D

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal