collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning Dream Beauties  (Read 438 times)

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Cleaning Dream Beauties
« on: January 31, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »
Hey there  :)
So I recently acquired 2 Dream Beauties in a G1 lot. One is Spritzy and the other is Stardazzle. I never had any intentions of collecting them. They kinda just ended up in the bag. I swear, I didn't MEAN to do it...they just looked - lonely?

So -How do I clean them without damaging body paint,eye paint, etc? Does anyone have any experience cleaning these girls up?
ANything I should look out for?

Also- WHY am I growing so attatched to them??!!! It's like a sickness....can't....resist...their beautiousness....

Thx!

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
Cleaning Dream Beauties
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 01:10:52 PM »
Just clean them as you would a normal pony. A bit of warm very soapy water and a soft cloth. If there is more stubborn dirt I'll use a soft toothbrush.

I wouldn't use a magic eraser over any paint though.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Dream Beauties
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
From my limited experience, they can generally be cleaned as butterflybuttons described (I used a toothbrush over the whole thing), although their paint does seem to be a bit more fragile than regular ponies. I learned the hard way that rubbing alcohol will take it off on at least some of them....

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
Baby wipes!!! I love baby wipes for this kind of thing - gentle enough that you wont damage the symbols but tough enough to remove most surface dirt.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »
Congrats on the finds! I hope you can post some pictures when you get done

(Butterflybuttons- your avatar is so stinking cute it distracts me every time I see that silly face- I just have to get it off my chest!!!  Looks like a bengal cat...the cuteness... Argh)

Offline munchy

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 04:15:39 PM »
I love dream beauties! Their paint is very fragile though, as everyone has said. Definitely avoid anything harsh especially acetone! I know acetone started to "melt" the plastic on my My Pretty Pony and she's pretty much the same type of plastic as them.

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »
Their paint is VERY fragile and easily scratched off. Also, don't use acetone on them, as it will affect, discolour and dull the hard plastic they're made of. Magic erasers will work on any surface marks like pen or paint, but they often get yellowish discoloured patches and there's not really anything you can do about them. Also, on Spritzy, the pearly sheen will come off pretty easily if you use anything like a magic eraser on her. :)
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »
Their paint is VERY fragile and easily scratched off. Also, don't use acetone on them, as it will affect, discolour and dull the hard plastic they're made of. Magic erasers will work on any surface marks like pen or paint, but they often get yellowish discoloured patches and there's not really anything you can do about them. Also, on Spritzy, the pearly sheen will come off pretty easily if you use anything like a magic eraser on her. :)

You kind of brought me to my next question: Spritzy *does* have that yellowish sheen to her where the pearly paint is, I am assuming? Is it better to leave her that way, should I attempt to wipe it off and make her a uniform pink color, and is she worth anything in this condition? Oh, she has a door-like compartment under her belly and I can't get it open. I don't think I really know how, and I am afraid to force it. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all for your expertise and advice!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »
In regards to the yellowing, are Dream Beauties sun-fade-able? I've sunfaded yellowed regular ponies, so I wonder if that would work here or just fade the pink color...

I have sold a badly discolored Dream Beauty, so I'd say she's still worth something in that condition, though I don't know how much.

Offline SwiftStar84

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 06:27:25 PM »
In regards to the yellowing, are Dream Beauties sun-fade-able? I've sunfaded yellowed regular ponies, so I wonder if that would work here or just fade the pink color...

I by accident left a Dream Beauty out on a shelf where sunlight would hit her for a short while everyday. Needless to say it faded her which I didn't want to happen.  :sad:
PROUD MY LITTLE PONY DADDY! I LOVE ALL GENS OF MLP!
Seeking Mia and Me Unicorns(the big ones) and Fantasy Filly Princess Kayla and Shayna!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pythia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »

You kind of brought me to my next question: Spritzy *does* have that yellowish sheen to her where the pearly paint is, I am assuming? Is it better to leave her that way, should I attempt to wipe it off and make her a uniform pink color, and is she worth anything in this condition? Oh, she has a door-like compartment under her belly and I can't get it open. I don't think I really know how, and I am afraid to force it. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all for your expertise and advice!

The yellowing is generally from sun discolouration/aging, and there's generally nothing you can do about it. I haven't come across anything that will help, short of a LOT of scrubbing with a magic eraser which can *sometimes* help a little bit, but it would also take of Spritzy's pearly sheen - chances are she's already lost some of it. To be honest, I'd just leave the yellowing alone unless it's really bad, but even then there's not much you can do that will definitely help!

Unfortunately, the yellowing seems to be mostly caused by sunlight, so I can only imagine sunfading would have the opposite effect. :P
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline butterflybuttons

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
Cleaning Dream Beauties
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Sun fading will only make the DB's yellower. Hydrogen peroxide can help a bit. Same as you would apply for playsets.

(Butterflybuttons- your avatar is so stinking cute it distracts me every time I see that silly face- I just have to get it off my chest!!!  Looks like a bengal cat...the cuteness... Argh)

Lol. Thanks, I'll get back to my persona soon, but it's a fun one!

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 06:27:16 AM »
butterflybuttons- I actually have a bottle of that perxide stuff from Sally. Would you suggest only painting it on the areas where the pearlized paint has turned yellow, or applying it to the entire pony? I don't want white blotches where the pearlized paint used to be, but the yellowing is especially bad on her face. I'll post pics as soon as I get my camera out.

Offline butterflybuttons

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
Cleaning Dream Beauties
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
I'll usually paint it on where it's needed, but I don't worry too much about being neat.

Hydrogen peroxide only has a working time of about one hour (depending on the weather). When I'm being diligent, I'll replace it daily. It doesn't matter if you leave it longer, but it won't reduce the yellowing more if you leave longer.

Offline Pythia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
butterflybuttons- I actually have a bottle of that perxide stuff from Sally. Would you suggest only painting it on the areas where the pearlized paint has turned yellow, or applying it to the entire pony? I don't want white blotches where the pearlized paint used to be, but the yellowing is especially bad on her face. I'll post pics as soon as I get my camera out.

If you put peroxide over the pearlized paint, it will remove it, and it will also discolour any other paint you put it over for very long. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal