collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should I start collecting G4?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
Re: Should I start collecting G4?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »
Collect what you like, just because others like them does not mean you have too. 

While the show is cute, the toys leave me cold.  I do like the blind bags since the modeled manes hide that huge head, but that is about it for me and my daughter. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »
I say go for it of course - personally I find them adorable! I wouldn't collect them just for the sake of doing so however or because they are what everyone is talking about right now but because I genuinely like them :)

At $5 for the basic singles, if I was you I would pick a couple of them up - get them out on display and see if they make you happy. If you adore them then that's you hooked and a whole world of G4 to add to your G1 and G3 collections but if you are not fussed then at least you gave them a shot!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
I also thought the G4s looked like deer at first, but that was part of the charm for me. I think deer are cute animals.

I am happy to hear that I am not the only one that thought that. They grew on me though. :)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 06:02:49 PM »
If G4's strike your fancy I'd say go ahead and start collecting them... 

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline andibgoode

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Andi B. Goode
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
I also thought the G4s looked like deer at first, but that was part of the charm for me. I think deer are cute animals.

I am happy to hear that I am not the only one that thought that. They grew on me though. :)

Oh, they do! I've actually seen some cute customs of them as deer and they're kind of the perfect base for them (I'm sure people here have seen them - I'm still pretty new to MLP in general so not familiar with any custom artists or anything. Either way, they're adorable).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:17:19 PM by andibgoode »
:good: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :art:
Monster High dolls for sale

mylittleponylover92

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 06:22:30 PM »
The quality control on them is attrocious so in adition to them being really low in quality in general, many of them have some issues right from the box. Also, they tend to be pricey in Europe.

Thanks for the good advice, I agree that I dont think they are as high quality as their predecessors. Pretty shocking really, young girls of today deserve good ponies like I did...although G2 never really caught on in the US. But they were so easy for my mum to buy me from the local shop cos it was the only thing Id want for my birthdays lol :)

You're so right they do look like deer as many people have said! But I do love Bambi lol.

But I think I might have a go while they are still around...see if I like a basic one. I'm going to watch a few episodes of the show first though! I've been looking at some prices out of interest and the only single pony that you can get for cheap is Pinkie pie but then for the money i might as well get one with more accessorises for the difference in the UK. Think I can pick one up from a supermarket here for £5 which is okay for a playful pony I think...could always sell if i dont get any joy!

I say go for it of course - personally I find them adorable! I wouldn't collect them just for the sake of doing so however or because they are what everyone is talking about right now but because I genuinely like them :)

At $5 for the basic singles, if I was you I would pick a couple of them up - get them out on display and see if they make you happy. If you adore them then that's you hooked and a whole world of G4 to add to your G1 and G3 collections but if you are not fussed then at least you gave them a shot!

Don't worry I'm not deciding to collect them to be "popular" or anything like that! Although its a very good point and I value that insight! Its more just adding to my enjoyment I get from MLP. Everyone talking about them has sparked my interest into thinking maybe Im missing out on some fun!

And to be honest I've been quite down lately since my degree is really stepping up, I never see any sunshine in this country (i sometimes miss having lived in a lovely sunny country 2 years ago), my boyfriend is very busy and my family live 3,000 miles away....so I was thinking they might distract me and cheer me up...

Going to try the tv eps first and make my decision...I actually have money at the moment from being a sensible student!

Might ask my parents to bring back my macdonalds G4s I managed to collect whilst abroad and see if they help....was upset I never got to collect Pinkie out of the set though! I should try and give them a chance like people have said here...the poor deers :P

Post Merge: January 30, 2013, 07:18:38 AM

I've started small....was pleasantly surprised (since I really struggled to decode the codes on the back to get the right one)! However they were easier than the others!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(Sorry for the pink tinge to the pics...its from my fairy lights above my desk!)

They are so cute! I think I might get more of the blue bags instead of the other colours since I did pick up some purple ones...I cant decode them though since I think the codes are different to how they are in the US!

Im happier already! :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 07:18:39 AM by mylittleponylover92 »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »
Yay! Blind bags are a great way to start - super addictive and so many characters to collect. Congrats.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

mylittleponylover92

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
Yay! Blind bags are a great way to start - super addictive and so many characters to collect. Congrats.

Thank you :D they are so cute! Quite surprised at how many waves were available in the Morrisons near me! Will probably have a look in the Tesco Extra at the weekend and see :)

Addicted already...love the glittery ones but I hope the glitter doesnt wear off!

Offline Wind_Whistler

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »
I personally only sort of like the blind bags, but to me they aren't even ponies, only a cheap chibi like gimmick that will never come close to its predecessors.  I'm in the process of selling a small lot that I tried to give a go....bleh I don't know why everyone is so hyped over these imposters lol

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »
I love the blind bags! More characters and the show a lot of personality.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »
I didn't like the G4 line at first, but after watching the show I had to get a Pinkie Pie! Then I started looking for G4 ponies that reminded me of my favorite G1, like Feathermay reminds me of Tickle. The I got Lyra Heartstrings 'cause I love green ponies, and well... before I knew it I'd picked up quite a few! G1's are still my favorites, but the G4's have found a place on my pony shelves, too.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

RedSH

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
I was adamant that I wouldn't start collecting G4, like you I thought they looked odd compared to the G1s I was used to.
Then my dad (of all people!) bought me one randomly at the end of October last year and I now have loads!
They are cute and addictive  :)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 01:44:50 PM »
I say you should collect what appeals to you. If you don't particularly like how G4 ponies look, there isn't much sense in collecting them! Maybe wait until you find one second hand, clean her up if needed, and see how you like her. If you get the urge to buy her a "friend", go for it. If not, oh well. You can always start collecting later if they do grow on you.

As for the show, I do recommend giving it a try, personally. I honestly don't think it's the greatest kids show EVER, but it is certainly on a different level than most current shows targeted at kids. It's fun and cute and quite well done. Watch the first episodes and a few random ones and see how they make you feel.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 02:06:29 PM »
I love the blind bags- so addicting!

Offline GustyFox

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A Planewalker fox in human disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »
Give them a chance. If you don't like you can always sell them.

At 1st I didn't liked G2s, G3s or G4s :P But with time I begun to love them. And also, collecting is fun :P the more things you have to trade, hunt, talk about, more fun you may have ^^

Now, totally off topic, I love your avatar, mylittleponylover92. Princess Tiffany is one of my favs and also was a childhood pony. She is so cute ^^

Lovely GustyFox adoptable by MoonFlower. Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal