collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 14  (Read 41854 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Monster High Discussion 14
« Reply #1350 on: February 19, 2013, 04:52:37 AM »
Thankfully we have plenty of time to think about it!

On another note, has everyone seen Scarah Screams in Florence + The Machine's video Dog Days Are Over? hehe...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I about died laughing, that's so awesome you noticed this!!!

How could you not notice when watching?! Haha! Honestly, I wonder if that's what inspired Mattel. It's so similar a look that it's uncanny

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
Re: Monster High Discussion 14
« Reply #1351 on: February 19, 2013, 06:38:22 AM »
For Halloween, I'd love to be Clawd. If only I was black! Grrr!

Easier to find a good brown stage makeup than to get a good body!
I dunno... I'd be afraid of someone getting offended and making "blackface" parallels. Honestly though you could cosplay Clawd without using the makeup and still look good!

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #1352 on: February 19, 2013, 06:49:48 AM »
There was recently a lot of drama on Tumblr about someone asking whether or not they should use brown makeup to cosplay Clawdeen. Everybody's immediate thought was blackface. So, no, I definitely wouldn't recommend putting on brown makeup to cosplay Clawd...

However, I see nothing wrong with a white person cosplaying a black character. There are lots of black cosplayers who do white anime characters, so why not the reverse? And anyway...

As long as you're having fun, you win! :)

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: February 19, 2013, 06:55:10 AM »
Just got this message from Mattel Australia: "There are currently no plans to range the Heath and Abbey 2 pack in NZ. We can confirm, that there are 4 boys available this year (Clawd, Gil, Deuce & Holt) in various packs and configurations. We unfortunately can’t tell you when they are coming out, so you’ll have to keep your eyes out in store for them! The reason for this is a lot of the new product coming out is characters we haven’t yet revealed in the webisode content (www.monsterhigh.com), so all this is very hush-hush."

I'm guessing Deuce will be Scaris Deuce. I'm hoping Gil, Clawd and Holt will be new releases, with new outfits, and not just rereleases. I want a Holt with articulated wrists. He's the last of my boys to still be without them now.

I wonder if that last bit is referring to the new 13 Wishes characters or some other characters that haven't come on the radar yet.

We're also getting Catrine and the CAM packs at some point. A big year for NZ collectors! Woohoo!

Ooh, good news :D also that first part sounds like maybe Heath/Abbey will be on the shelves in Australia maybe?

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #1354 on: February 19, 2013, 07:05:08 AM »
I am in love with Swim Lagoona!!! Her make up, her hair, her outfit. I just adore her!!! I'm definitely going to be getting more of her for outfits! She is my second favorite Lagoona. I love SS Lagoona, but Swim Lagoona is just absolutely gorgeous! I would trade a couple of my extra nude Classroom Lagoonas for some nude Swim Lagoonas!
I agree! I loved her so much that I broke my ~one doll per character~ rule. She's just such a cutie n_n

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: February 19, 2013, 07:10:55 AM »
I am in love with Swim Lagoona!!! Her make up, her hair, her outfit. I just adore her!!! I'm definitely going to be getting more of her for outfits! She is my second favorite Lagoona. I love SS Lagoona, but Swim Lagoona is just absolutely gorgeous! I would trade a couple of my extra nude Classroom Lagoonas for some nude Swim Lagoonas!
I agree! I loved her so much that I broke my ~one doll per character~ rule. She's just such a cutie n_n

I've never been a big Lagoona fan but I love Swim Lagoona. Maybe its the softness of her hair or that amazing makeup. I don't know but she is fast becoming one of my favorite girls.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: February 19, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »
I feel like of the new three swim girls which seem to be very popular, I feel I am the only one who went nuts over the new Draculaura. I think she's one of the coolest versions of her I've seen. I love the two pigtails and the fact her hair has more pink. I have hannaliten to thank for selling her to me, since I don't think I'd ever have found her at my Kmart.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: February 19, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »
There was recently a lot of drama on Tumblr about someone asking whether or not they should use brown makeup to cosplay Clawdeen. Everybody's immediate thought was blackface. So, no, I definitely wouldn't recommend putting on brown makeup to cosplay Clawd...

However, I see nothing wrong with a white person cosplaying a black character. There are lots of black cosplayers who do white anime characters, so why not the reverse? And anyway...

As long as you're having fun, you win! :)

I completely agree with this! I've been to many conventions and people dressup as a character regardless of race, gender, and the presence of a disability. If you want to dressup, don't let anything stop you.  :)

So I was reading about the Scaris 2-pack on the Monster High Dolls site and there is someone claiming to know what two dolls are included in the pack.

I know who's in it but I'm not allowed to tell :CCC
I can say that fans of characters who aren't out as often as the main three (but still love the original cast) will def be pleased.

http://www.monsterhighdolls.com/forum/topics/new-toys-r-us-exclusive-scaris-2-pack?id=5907260%3ATopic%3A2841490&page=14#comments

And someone else's TRU has them on order

Checked with my local TRU, none in the warehouse but 1138 on order, 4 to a case looks to be being received into their north Texas warehouse around March 16th!

http://www.monsterhighdolls.com/forum/topics/scaris-2pack-update
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: February 19, 2013, 09:05:47 AM »
I'm guessing it's Cleo and Lagoona from how they wrote their sentence. I'm so excited! :heart:
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: February 19, 2013, 10:43:09 AM »

However, I see nothing wrong with a white person cosplaying a black character. There are lots of black cosplayers who do white anime characters, so why not the reverse?

The reverse isn't controversial because black or brown people in Europe or America don't have a history of oppressing white people, dressing up as them and making them out to be horrible caricatures in Minstrel Shows.

My personal stance is this one: it's okay to use make-up in cosplay. But don't use body make-ups and airbrushes in too dark shades. Looking tanned is no crime. Having dark skin =/= having a tan.
But be very, very sensitive about it. Always keep in mind that certain people of color might get very offended and if they do: take them seriously. Don't dismiss their feelings just because you once saw Dave Chapelle do "white face".

Buuuut, I'm not big on cosplay, so what do I know? I only dress up for Halloween (even though I would love to walk the streets in a fun costume every day, lol) :)

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: February 19, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
*snip*
So I was reading about the Scaris 2-pack on the Monster High Dolls site and there is someone claiming to know what two dolls are included in the pack.

I know who's in it but I'm not allowed to tell :CCC
I can say that fans of characters who aren't out as often as the main three (but still love the original cast) will def be pleased.

http://www.monsterhighdolls.com/forum/topics/new-toys-r-us-exclusive-scaris-2-pack?id=5907260%3ATopic%3A2841490&page=14#comments

And someone else's TRU has them on order

Checked with my local TRU, none in the warehouse but 1138 on order, 4 to a case looks to be being received into their north Texas warehouse around March 16th!

http://www.monsterhighdolls.com/forum/topics/scaris-2pack-update

I'm going to echo the statement that MH is being sneaky this year.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: February 19, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »
If you are going to cosplay as a black character, please do not do what my idiotic ex-friend did. I was so embarrassed when I saw his costume at a convention 3 years ago. My ex-friend is white, but he did a "Black Face" Lewis from Left 4 Dead. He painted his face black and painted his lips bright red and extended the make up past his lips to look like he had big red lips. I am not black, but I was offended. It made me sick to my stomach.
-Bow Tie

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #1362 on: February 19, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »
If you are going to cosplay as a black character, please do not do what my idiotic ex-friend did. I was so embarrassed when I saw his costume at a convention 3 years ago. My ex-friend is white, but he did a "Black Face" Lewis from Left 4 Dead. He painted his face black and painted his lips bright red and extended the make up past his lips to look like he had big red lips. I am not black, but I was offended. It made me sick to my stomach.
I am glad the word friend included the "ex-" modifier in front of it :(

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
I got my 7 year old into MH and now everything is fangtastic lol. its funny walking though walmart and people look at you funny because your kid keeps calling everything fangtastic :lol:

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: February 19, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
I am glad the word friend included the "ex-" modifier in front of it :(

That was the final straw of our friendship. I don't tolerate that kind of crap. It sickens me that someone would do such a thing. :cry: I'm sure none of us here would ever do such a thing because everyone here is so lovely, but I wanted to share an example of "How NOT to cosplay a black character."

I got my 7 year old into MH and now everything is fangtastic lol. its funny walking though walmart and people look at you funny because your kid keeps calling everything fangtastic :lol:

That is so adorable! :heart: I say "totes" all the time because of Draculaura and I catch myself saying "Oh my Ra!" :lol:

Also, I just got back from Target and exchanged the one without shoes for one with shoes! Now I can finally put it on Rochelle! :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:57:22 AM by Bow Tie »
-Bow Tie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal