collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Discussion 14  (Read 41461 times)

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Discussion 14
« Reply #1065 on: February 12, 2013, 10:25:11 PM »
Quote from: Bow Tie
I would prefer Cleo and Lagoona because I'm selfish. They are my two favorite characters after all.

If they did blind bag shoes or just shoe/accessory packs, I will just die! I need them!!!

I love Lagoona too, and I'd love to see her get a I <3 Fashion doll of some sort. My only hesitation would be how hard it seems for the designers to give her cute outfits. Her signature, 2.0 and Classroom were awesome (well, minus the second outfit in Classroom), but so frequently, they seem struggle with finding her "look". Of course, it could be their chance to redeem themselves too!

I've liked all her outfits, but there are definitely a few or so that have room for improvement. I would hope that an I <3 Fashion doll/accessory pack of some sort would help redeem themselves. I'm so confused as to what they want her to look like or what kind of signature style to give her. It's just messy. D:

That's how I feel too. She was the original "sporty" ghoul, and then they started mixing in a little boho, and suddenly you have a mess like PD. I feel they did the whole sporty/hippie mix better with Abbey, to be honest. It probably helps that boots are infinitely cooler than platform flip-flops :P But I love my 'goona; she was the one that made me take the plunge into MH. And her little hoodie from the signature line is probably one of my favorite individual pieces ever.

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1066 on: February 12, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »
Or blind bag shoes.... *imagines jupi crazily rushing through stores, shoving whole boxes of blind bag shoes in her cart*

:wow: be still my beating heart!! I would buy the full case! LOL

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 12, 2013, 10:38:28 PM »
Thanks for the clarification everyone.  I didn't miss too much!  I was up to date until Clawdeen changed to Cleo :lol:  Hadn't read that yet.  It's a good thing I don't get my hopes too high when I read about these things.  Best not to get too excited until the box is in my hand!

I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 12, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
Quote from: Bow Tie
I would prefer Cleo and Lagoona because I'm selfish. They are my two favorite characters after all.

If they did blind bag shoes or just shoe/accessory packs, I will just die! I need them!!!

I love Lagoona too, and I'd love to see her get a I <3 Fashion doll of some sort. My only hesitation would be how hard it seems for the designers to give her cute outfits. Her signature, 2.0 and Classroom were awesome (well, minus the second outfit in Classroom), but so frequently, they seem struggle with finding her "look". Of course, it could be their chance to redeem themselves too!

I've liked all her outfits, but there are definitely a few or so that have room for improvement. I would hope that an I <3 Fashion doll/accessory pack of some sort would help redeem themselves. I'm so confused as to what they want her to look like or what kind of signature style to give her. It's just messy. D:

That's how I feel too. She was the original "sporty" ghoul, and then they started mixing in a little boho, and suddenly you have a mess like PD. I feel they did the whole sporty/hippie mix better with Abbey, to be honest. It probably helps that boots are infinitely cooler than platform flip-flops :P But I love my 'goona; she was the one that made me take the plunge into MH. And her little hoodie from the signature line is probably one of my favorite individual pieces ever.

I wish they would go back to the "sporty" style instead of giving her a hippie look. Her SS doll was adorable, but I think the hippie style would fit Venus better. Lagoona was the very first doll I got and it all went uphill from there and now I have an army of her! Her hoodie is just absolutely darling! Her basic doll is by far my favorite! <3
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

jennovazombie

« Reply #1069 on: February 13, 2013, 04:32:51 AM »
I picked up a <3 Fashion Frankie last night and....I'm not sure I like her as much as my others.  :huh: I feel kind of bad because I asked my husband to make a special trip to ToysRus so I could get a doll, and he liked her more than the werecat twins and picked her out for me. But...she's just not fitting too well, I think it's her dark dark makeup or something. Hmm... :(

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Monster High Discussion 14
« Reply #1070 on: February 13, 2013, 05:11:37 AM »
The problem with Lagoona's fashion is that she ISN'T fashionable. Her best look and biggest risk was her DotD dress. Since then she's played it safe - safe as in boring as hell (and often cringeworthy).

Part of the problem lies in her being excluded from most of the fancier lines - 1600, Ghouls Rule, etc. I want to see her edgier and better dressed. Her new 13 Wishes outfit is abysmal. Come on, Mattel. Give Lagoona's outfits as much thought as you do the other ghouls'! This is the daughter of the sea monster for crying out loud! Give her nobility! Give her sea goddess glamour! Give her a color scheme that's befitting of a sea monster. The ocean is full of color - royal blue, bright yellows, dashes of red. Get her out of that damned dated pink and aqua combo and put her in something that takes a risk. Please, for the love of all things Monster of the Black Lagoon, man up and DO IT!

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 13, 2013, 06:06:07 AM »
Part of the problem is she *is* the sporty girl; Mattel for some reason thinks sporty =/= girly. If you google Sporty Fashionista Barbie and Tori from the Generation Girl line to see what I mean, they get the short end of the fashion stick when compared to the other girls in the same line.

I love a lot of the prints they've used for Lagoona's clothing and her accessories are among my favorites but like everyone else has said they need to give her better outfits!

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #1072 on: February 13, 2013, 06:42:28 AM »
I'm pretty hard-pressed to find a Lagoona outfit I don't like (I even think that aqua yoga suit from her fashion pack is cute). Her Sweet 1600 look was really pretty though... wish they'd given her a doll :c

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 13, 2013, 07:30:13 AM »
(...) I am so sick of Draculaura. I liked her initially, but she's just tired now. And while her original looks were very loli and interesting, a lot of her stuff is either a teensy mini (in black and pink, natch) or poofy and shiny. She's become the playline Barbie of MH!

This is how I see it as well. Alas, she's pink and a vampire, she was prone to becoming the doll Mattel would throw at us the most. And I don't know if her decreasing style has to do with the number of Lala dolls that get churned out, but it seems so to me.

I have noticed that the fashion sense of many characters has changed since the beginning. That's not neccessarily a bad thing, but the way Mattel handles it right now it seems to me that the fashion for many dolls goes into a more negative than positive direction.
Of course, this is just me. I am insanely picky about dolls, since they are expensive for me. I enjoy them looking more "freaky", so I dislike the outfits that look too "safe" (e.g. a normal mini dress with bat print instead of a frilly goth look for Draculaura).

A few people have mentioned Lagoona as well, I'm just too lazy to pick out the quotes *g*
Her sporty Sig look is my favorite as well, so I'm hoping that she, too, will get a re-release. Her 2.0 look looked more like a sailor, which was cute as well, but the first one will be my love forever.

I definitely see a decrease in creativity the more (budget) dolls get made. Case in point, one of my all-time favorite characters: Abbey. She started out great with lots of (I hope faux-) fur. I can safely say that her earlier releases played much more with her snow theme, added snowflakes and ice crystals, but kept the fur trimming and her initial color scheme.
Nowadays it seems like the name "Abbey" stands for "random pattern that looks a bit like triangles or scribbles". The only thing that's still awesome aout her are her shoes (in my opinion).

I was very disappointed in RM, Music Festival and now Home Ick Abbey. Also, I think her budget fashion pack is just as unoriginal as Lagoona's or Lala's. Just a normal piece of clothing with some "theme" pattern - come on!

Personally, I'd prefer fewer releases but with better thought out fashion concepts.
Especially dolls like Abbey, Venus or Lagoona that have themes that are great inspiration could be handled better. There are millions of plants, millions of sea creatures, hundreds of associations with "cold" or "snow".

Right in this thread and on tumblr I see so many cool ideas fans come up with. Especially the clothing some fans design looks fresh, interesting and legit.
Mattel should draw more inspiration from its fanbase.

/endofbrattyfanrant  :lol:

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 13, 2013, 07:37:19 AM »
I think Home Ick Abbey has spoon earrings. :lol: I wonder if she has other utensils on her shoes. I like the I<3 Fashion Abbey's dark makeup the best. Sadly mine had awful thin hair so she's getting rerooted.

I agree with Lagoona needing a change in style. I like a lot of her outfits but there's literally an ocean of possibilities for inspiration.
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #1075 on: February 13, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »
I wish they would make Venus with an Orchid theme! If nothing else, then for her clothing. I can totally see a neat dress coming out of an Orchid design. The big images are spoilered.
Spoiler

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 13, 2013, 08:15:53 AM »
I'm pretty hard-pressed to find a Lagoona outfit I don't like (I even think that aqua yoga suit from her fashion pack is cute). Her Sweet 1600 look was really pretty though... wish they'd given her a doll :c

I think her DDG outfit was a simplified version of this. That said, I'd love to see an elaborate, over the top doll like DotD again.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:21:04 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 13, 2013, 08:18:16 AM »
Maniah, Venus would look stunning in an orchid based dress *__*

While we're at requesting things from Mattel... OMG PLEASE MAKE A TOY OUT OF THOSE HELLHOUNDS! It's not normal how much I love how they look:

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 13, 2013, 08:22:58 AM »
I just have to sy in my months of collecting... I have never seen a doll reduced in price that hasn't been in conjunction with a store sale... That being said... My local Walmart has dropped the price of their DC and scaris basic dolls to $10.00!! And I has no money! Dang it!! Now back to your rgularly schedule discussion...   :biggrin:

Argentum-Zeena

« Reply #1079 on: February 13, 2013, 08:34:59 AM »
I really think Draculaura would benefit from some real gothic lolita looks, rather than her current mild version of it. Perhaps they could test the waters, so to speak, with a SDCC true goth loli Lala? I bet plenty of people, even those beyond the MH fandom, would get it.
I also agree on the Lagoona front. Her first few dolls were perfect!

Just curious, how do you guys feel about the two new playsets? I'm kind of iffy on Spectra's bed, but I really like Lagoona's shower set!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal