collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Repainting Venus' shoes  (Read 427 times)

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
Repainting Venus' shoes
« on: January 26, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
I've been on quite a repainting/modding binge lately. So many of the ghouls' shoes and other accessories have such great details that just aren't all that noticeable due to a lack of paint. Venus' stock shoes are one. They've got vines on the heels and quite a bit of stitching, but you wouldn't know because they're just plain pink.

I was painting Chewlian's soil brown last night, as well as filling in the cracks in the sides of his pot with brown paint, and I got thinking that I could paint Venus' shoes as well. I'm not a big fan of them as they are stock, although they do suit her punk style since they're so big and chunky.

Anyway, my purpose for creating this thread is to find out if anyone else has tried repainting/retouching Venus' shoes. If you have, please share pics! I want to see!

I will post pics of my own repaint once I get it done.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
Re: Repainting Venus' shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:35:10 PM »
oooooooo i LOVE Venus' shoes! and hate the fact that so many awesome details get lost of EVERYTHING ... would love to see her details painted though! :)
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »
Nobody has tried repainting her shoes?!

I'm thinking I might try just putting some color on the stitching and the vines on the heels first. Not sure I can match the bright green of the laces and teeth, though, so I might go with a different color. Any thoughts?

Offline Jenn77

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »
What about black, or would that be too harsh, I think it would def. bring out the color of the laces and the teeth more. Or what about the other colors on her out fit besides the pink did you consider those or did they not seem to work?
Calypso by~ Corona

Calypso by~ Brightberry

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:43:32 PM »
there is a seller on ebay that paints details on the shoes (i always complain cause she has shoes i need for my collection, but i want them "raw")

she has some Venus shoes up now

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »
I've been meaning to paint a lot of my MH accessories for the same reason - there's so much awesome detail in the sculpts that's lost with the factory paint. 

Have you considered doing a dark wash over the whole shoe to just bring out the details?  Like, dip the shoes in watered down paint and then lightly rub the paint off with a rag so that it stays in the crevices.  Like I said, I have yet to do this with my own stuff so I don't know how well the plastic holds paint, but if it sticks well, a wash is a really quick way to make details show up.

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:14 PM »
I've been thinking about painting in some details on some of my MH shoes but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:39:45 PM »
oooooooo i LOVE Venus' shoes! and hate the fact that so many awesome details get lost of EVERYTHING ... would love to see her details painted though! :)
Excellent!

What about black, or would that be too harsh, I think it would def. bring out the color of the laces and the teeth more. Or what about the other colors on her out fit besides the pink did you consider those or did they not seem to work?
I had thought about adding a bit of black. I've changed up her outfit a bit. Here's what she's wearing at the moment:

eco punk by pukunui81, on Flickr

there is a seller on ebay that paints details on the shoes (i always complain cause she has shoes i need for my collection, but i want them "raw")

she has some Venus shoes up now

Thank you Jupi! Those are quite inspiring. I like how she's used two different greens for the vines on the heel, and I hadn't thought of repainting the teeth white! Makes sense, though.

I've been meaning to paint a lot of my MH accessories for the same reason - there's so much awesome detail in the sculpts that's lost with the factory paint.
Exactly! Seems like they're doing it much more than they used to. Trying to save money, I guess. 

Have you considered doing a dark wash over the whole shoe to just bring out the details?
It's a possibility. I've done it before. In fact, I did that with Chewlian's pot, to get some brown paint into all the cracks around the base. I also did it with my Coffin Bean chair to get that "dirt in the creases" worn look.

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:11:47 PM »
I know AcademicSquirrel is always coming up with awesome repainted shoes that I drool over, She'd be a good one to talk to. :) Rochelle's shoes are amazing!!

Offline pukunui

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:06:10 AM »
Ugh! I really want to get stuck into some shoe repaints right now but I'm just soooo tired. I should really go to bed. I've been staying up late way too much lately processing photos and such. Maybe tomorrow ...

I know AcademicSquirrel is always coming up with awesome repainted shoes that I drool over, She'd be a good one to talk to. :) Rochelle's shoes are amazing!!
Yes, her repaints have inspired me as well!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:10:11 AM by pukunui »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal