collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Friday Night Frights Discussion (thread my contain spoilers)  (Read 1375 times)

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
Re: Friday Night Frights Discussion (thread my contain spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
I really loved this one. Not my fave, but a close second! Abbey was fangtastic as usual, I loooved that they put Rochelle, Robecca and Venus in there for more airtime!

Offline Ravie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 06:57:35 PM »
oh I'm sure if they're made into dolls they'll have the green, but just because of the way the hair is animated, any lime green streaks aren't really all that obvious (at least to me) maybe peoples who know how to screencap can clarify matters.

roselalonde

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »
I loved this special! The messages were great. To be honest I felt a little worried when they went into the part that said that they have to play like the boys to beat them, but I just adore how they turned it into ghoul power! I think I might actually want to get the RM dolls now, at least Ghoulia. It does make me kinda sad that she didn't skate, but she got a lot more airtime than most of the other specials/webisodes, so I'll take that.

Melissa

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 12:31:41 AM »
Anyone else notice that Jackson's voice sounded different? Or was I hearing things?
Yeah, he sounded different and so did Operetta. Weirdly enough they're both voiced by the same actress so maybe something was going on with her? Idk.

-

I wish they had let Ghoulia skate. She always got all dressed up, even for the practices. I know zombies are slow and everything but still...

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 02:57:07 AM »
Was interesting to see MH tackle an issue as big as sexism.

I thought the story was alright, at first I thought it exaggerated but then I realise it's somewhat close to some attitudes teens get. It was kinda weird seeing that Ghoulia didn't skate, she was just the strategist.
A lot more Draculaura development here, finally she's focused on something that isn't fashion and boys, while still maintaining her giggly sort of personality! That used to drive me batty.
Tbh it kinda looked obvious that Rochelle was a girl... I mean she was a lot skinnier than even the slimmer boys and long pink hair, you'd think that if the boys shunned everything girly they would also make fun of that? Meh.
Noticed some cameo characters from other specials (rather neat)
I didn't get the whole Toralei and her boyfriend thing. The special only told how they were together, but didn't show it at all. Which is weird, they certainly showed Clawd/Draculaura.
I like how Clawdeen tried to give Draculaura some desperately needed time in the spotlight
What happened to Frankie? She was the inspirational talker one, I know, but she only raced once it seems? Wot?
I liked Robecca though she suffered a bit from only being introduced 3/4ish of the way in.

The whole crest thing did seem like an exaggeration though, was that the only way they could add an element of danger to the story... really...

angelfish

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »
Just watched it today because of this thread!  Love it; my fav of the specials.. :)  I loved, loved both Clawd and Draculaura, loved how the new girls were introduced.  Was bummed to not see Ghoulia skating as she's my fav of the Rollermaze dolls.  And where was Howleen?  She's wee but tough, seemed like a good choice for rollermaze! Other than those two small things it was very sweet!  Also loved seeing Cupid and Andy in the audience cheering them on, I'd love an Andy doll and another version of Cupid!

Dorriebelle

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »
Just watched it today because of this thread!  Love it; my fav of the specials.. :)  I loved, loved both Clawd and Draculaura, loved how the new girls were introduced.  Was bummed to not see Ghoulia skating as she's my fav of the Rollermaze dolls.  And where was Howleen?  She's wee but tough, seemed like a good choice for rollermaze! Other than those two small things it was very sweet!  Also loved seeing Cupid and Andy in the audience cheering them on, I'd love an Andy doll and another version of Cupid!

Me, too - and I agree with everything you said. RM Ghoulia is best RM, in my opinion, and I was saddened to see her so little in this. Heck, Cleo - who I also love, but doesn't have an RM doll (I should add 'yet' to that !) - had more of a presence but didn't really add much to the plot aside from comic relief. (pout)

I came away with a greater appreciation of Robecca, and the people from Nerd Corps animation studio really did a beautiful job on her.   The idea of Ghoulia and Frankie as tag-team Frankenstein resurrectionists caught me by surprise, and I laughed out loud. Seriously, about the time I thought, 'Shouldn't Frankie be doing this ?' - she was !

The 'fight like a girl'  and Manny & Heath fearleading - man, now I have to make the Heath doll a Fearleader outfit when he comes out ! - really made this sparkle to me. I loved all the in-character touches, and clothing interpretations. To me, this was the best outing yet, and I look forward to the upcoming Scaris one.

Glad this thread encouraged me to watch it ! I've been a bit disappointed in most of the non-webisode ones that've gone before.

Offline Ravie

• View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 02:16:16 PM »
This had a lot more substance than Ghoul's Rule and Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love (<<omg, i loathed Draculaura in that one), and a just generally done better than Skull Shores. There were faults, naturally, but the good far-far outweighed the bad this time.

angelfish

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
I agree that this movie had more substance and it was lovely to see MH tackle sexism in such a cute and thoughtful way. 

I don't want to ruin anything for those who haven't watched it yet but I loved how Ghoulia was integral to Robecca's 'introduction'.  And Rochelle and Operetta, such bad***ery from both of them!  Although I find it hard to believe that Rochelle could hide out as a boy for so long..  :P

Had to wonder..what about Deuce?  I guess Deuce is too cool to skate, heh!

And yes, Dorriebelle, I don't understand the Ghoulia hate sometimes.  She's an awesome little character and her RM doll is the cutest!  I love her brain helmet and her 'gory' accessories always make me smile.. :)  Have to admit I might cave and get Operetta's RM doll now. 

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »
This had a lot more substance than Ghoul's Rule and Why Do Ghouls Fall in Love (<<omg, i loathed Draculaura in that one), and a just generally done better than Skull Shores. There were faults, naturally, but the good far-far outweighed the bad this time.

I watch all the specials and webisodes I can and I agree about loathing Draculaura in the second special you listed but really liked her improvement in Friday Night Frights.

I enjoyed the others just fine but this one I absolutely LOVED. I want to go watch it again.

Spoiler
How Cleo wants to support her friends even if she's not a sporty kind of ghoul and of course be in some photos, what a goofball!

I really liked that they explained how Rochelle + Robecca came to be enrolled at MH. The fact too that when Robecca made her entrance, she wasn't able to compete with them in the race.  If she had it would have *saved* the situation aka deus ex machina. Instead she gave simple advice that helped them grow.

Operetta was nice too! I liked how she was a little overconfident in her abilities and took it out on the girls and then learned to reel it in just a bit.

Ok done, so many good things I can't list them all! Too bad Ghoulia didn't really skate, but she had more screentime!

Kobold

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 05:17:18 PM »
I think it's the best special so far too, they really keep improving! The plot is still very obvious but hey, I'm sure the kids like it. This franchise has tons of great characters, it could really use more action/adventure and less 'omg fashion emergency' crap.

I like the way they brought Robecca - right down to the finale. They managed to make her important (legendary, even!) without overcrowding the team even more.

The only thing that makes me cringe a little is that they toss away most of the protective equipment in favor of cute uniforms. I knooooow they have to sell the dolls and the cute outfits... but I can just picture a little girl refusing to wear all the proper gear for playing X sport after watching this 'cause the movie told her that to win, you gotta play 'LIKE A GIRL'. It's fine for an adult audience, we know better, but it's not much of an example for the kids.
I understand they were building up the exciting moment went they put on the outfits from the doll line, but I think it could have been handled differently.

Ah, what I loved the most - you should let go of traditions when they are bad or unfair. YES.  :thumb:

Offline Ravie

• View Profile
    • That's So Ravie
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
Had to wonder..what about Deuce?  I guess Deuce is too cool to skate, heh! 

Deuce was on the team and got hurt. Then he kinda poofed after that, but I get that he wasn't integral to the plot. He got to shine more in Ghouls Rule battling with Cleo and her dad. With so many characters now, they can't all be at the forefront.

angelfish

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »
Ravie-You're right, and he was very sweet in Ghoul's Rule but that's why I wondered, I saw Deuce skating in the beginning but at the end did not see him on the team.  Like I said, maybe he's too cool to skate... ;)

I actually thought they did a good job bringing a lot of characters to the forefront like the new ghouls, Robecca, Rochelle and Venus and it was nice to see more of Operetta as well as a different side to Draculaura.  This special made me like her all over again and remember why she was once my fav ghoul.. :)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »
I didn't even know about this. Starting to watch it right now!

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
This was OMG the best special. I loved that the story wasn't all about them trying to get a boy or anything like that. Totally girl [er... ghoul] power! Totally want a RM Draculaura and Cleo doll, too. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal