collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Discord Sings Brony Music Video (looks real!)  (Read 5594 times)

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Discord Sings Brony Music Video (looks real!)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »
I watched the animated thing and my overwhelming thought was "meh".  It was a bit self-congratulatory, and I don't know that I agree with their categories of fans - there are fans way beyond "moderates" (obsessives?), some people enjoy making things (like costumes) that aren't artwork/music/fanfic/fan videos, and some people are just casual fans who have seen a few episodes but aren't really into it.  And some people just buy the toys. :)

My own opinion of the tv series and whatnot:
I'm sorry, but I grew up with the G1 cartoons and they don't hold up terribly well (aside from the two specials, which I think were fantastic for their day -especially Midnight Castle).  Most 80s cartoons don't hold up well - Transformers, He-Man, She-Ra... they ALL look pretty laughable now (I say this about shows I LOVED as well - still do, but realize they are pretty silly).  I'm unfamiliar with Tales so I can't comment.  I've watched some G3 cartoons and didn't enjoy them much.  They could have said much worse, especially since (to an outsider) there isn't a clear distinction between G3 and G3.5 - and the 3.5 stuff that I've watched really is awful.  You really can't look at G4 cartoons/storytelling and compare it to Newborn Cuties with the latter coming up anything but short.  I think that G4 has far-and-away the best storywriting and character development of the shows.  BUTTTTTT.... I think that if they hadn't mentioned the previous gens, people would have been upset that they were excluded. 

As for the video clip, it seems to be FOR people already in the fandom.  I don't think this is something you show to an outsider and expect them to get much out of it.  I like the show, but I didn't catch the references to most of the fan stuff, since I don't watch fan vids, or read fanfic, or listen to fan music.  I'm guessing the ponies in the classroom were supposed to be versions of "well known fans"?  I don't know.

Final verdict?  Not interested in watching the documentary.  It didn't make me angry or anything.  It just didn't appeal to me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:12:52 AM by Evening_Moonstone »

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
I've watched some G3 cartoons and didn't enjoy them much.  They could have said much worse, especially since (to an outsider) there isn't a clear distinction between G3 and G3.5 - and the 3.5 stuff that I've watched really is awful.  You really can't look at G4 cartoons/storytelling and compare it to Newborn Cuties with the latter coming up anything but short.  I think that G4 has far-and-away the best storywriting and character development of the shows. 

They could have said worse than showing a pony vomit? And yeah, you can't compare them because the newborn cutie stuff was just a silly, free animation on their site while FIM is an actual show with an actual budget.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 11:27:38 AM »
At the fair a few years ago Hasbro was asked why the G3 cartoons were different from G1.

Hasbro's answer was that they were making the G3 cartoon for much younger children. I got the impression they meant 3 and under.

Sure, adults find it boring but to direct so much hate at it without realizing who Hasbro was making the cartoon for - it's just pointless and hateful if you ask me.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »
I kinda have to agree that non-pony fans aren't going to get it.  To them, it's all the same and it looks kinda mean to make fun of cartoons meant for small children.

I think just saying that the newer cartoon appeals to a broader audience would have been enough.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:34:40 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Linnzy

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »
At the fair a few years ago Hasbro was asked why the G3 cartoons were different from G1.

Hasbro's answer was that they were making the G3 cartoon for much younger children. I got the impression they meant 3 and under.

Personally I've always found that pretty obvious.
Though my niece that is almost 6 years old do enjoy it....actually...she enjoys all my little pony stuff ^_^ I'm the one that is showing it to her XD

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »

It's like the people who rewrite history to suit them, ignore the facts and just tell it how they want people to remember it. And that is easy to do when people don't know the truth and don't care. Lets all disregard the fact that the G4 cartoon is made to sell stuff - meh. G1 ain't the only one who is 'selling' stuff.

Lest we not forget that a lot of these so called 'creative' people are out here making money off My Little Pony. Not all, I'm not throwing the creative crowd under the bus but if we're gonna stamp G1 with a disapproving glace because Hasbro made the cartoon to make money - well, I don't know how much more of a hypocrite you can be to suggest that and the go draw some art or make some plush and sell them and then consider your part of ponyland is so much better than what G1 had because it was just created to 'make money'.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »
I thought it was neat how the guy who does Discord did this and the animation is well done, looks just like the show and very official.  However, I did not like how they bashed previous generations.  They showed G2's as MLP Tales---that's wrong.   They also did G3 wrong or they skipped it, I can't remember which.

Can't they make mature videos without having to bash previous generations.  I'm tired of it.  MLP existed long before G4's did.  I wish they wouldn't act like G4 is far superior and anything previous is dirt.  I know not all bronies are like that.  Just commenting on the video.

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
Aren't almost all cartoons created as a way to sell toys on some level?

With the possible exception of true artsy animations (like Miyazaki films, for example, even though they have inspired plush and toys), I am hard-pressed to think of a single animated program - movie or daily cartoon - that doesn't have a tie-in in the toy aisle. 
Whether the show was designed as a marketing thing (like pretty much all the 80s cartoons were), or the toys came later (early Disney films), pretty much every cartoon I can think of has some marketing spin. 

Hasbro was pretty infamous for this in the 80s with the MLP and Transformers movies - kill off a major character to sell more toys, or 'destroy' the main playset to sell a different one.  But modern MLP is no different - royal wedding anyone? The train that's in the beginning of every episode?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:03:35 PM by Evening_Moonstone »

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 12:29:44 PM »
Quote from: Evening_Moonstone

Hasbro was pretty infamous for this in the 80s with the MLP and Transformers movies - kill off a major character to sell more toys, or 'destroy' the main playset to sell a different one.  But modern MLP is no different - royal wedding anyone? The train that's in the beginning of every episode?

Don't you know that train is magical perfect PLOT! There couldn't possibly be another motive to there being a train in a ponyland where ponies have magic and probably don't really need trains or flying transportation - and ponies riding hot air balloons o_O - how dare it be suggested that the balloons came from G3, it's best PLOT ever I tell you!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:31:24 PM by KarentheUnicorn »

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »
Let's see...

The G1 show was only made to sell toys, but G4 TOTALLY wasn't.
My Little Pony Tales is G2.
Everything about G3 is so horrendous that it shouldn't even be discussed.
It's "very much expected" for adult women to enjoy shows and products made for little children (I had no idea I was so mainstream!)
Female bronies are an angry splinter group of  the much more important (male) fans of FiM.

I thought documentaries were supposed to be factual and educational, not self-congratulating, self-serving, and insulting.
I had been looking forward to watching the documentary before I saw this video.  I might just skip it now.

olbas006

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »
hate(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:04:22 PM by olbas006 »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
Let's see...

It's "very much expected" for adult women to enjoy shows and products made for little children (I had no idea I was so mainstream!)
Female bronies are an angry splinter group of  the much more important (male) fans of FiM.

I thought documentaries were supposed to be factual and educational, not self-congratulating, self-serving, and insulting.
I had been looking forward to watching the documentary before I saw this video.  I might just skip it now.
Sometimes I wish I could do animation just to correct the misinformation in something like this XD Is it bad to imagine one of my OCs stepping in and correcting what they are says >.>??
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline anthologia

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • a collection : gathering flowers
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »
The last I checked, viewers of FiM is still predominantly little kids/little girls, followed by adult women, followed by adult men.

well, it´s very well made and i know lauren faust worked with them too, but it seems as they don´t know about g3.5.
well, the g3 cartoon and boxart wasn´t the highest of arts, but i really liked the "character design" of color+symbol combination. also, the mold is quite well sculpted, but since it seems "cool" to say g3 is uncool,.. *shrug* if they really want to show it this way.

i like g3 for the toys and mlp is primary the toys for me, then comes the show.
i guess every bigger fandom "needs" a "villian" and in mlp, they tend to pick the older generations. ^^"
there is so much more about the other gens to love! but they didn´t want to fill more than a minute about it.
aaand that they mentioned girls just in the end was,.. quite interesting. is it still that most of g4 fans are male? i thought it would be 50%-50%?

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »
Let's see...

Sometimes I wish I could do animation just to correct the misinformation in something like this XD Is it bad to imagine one of my OCs stepping in and correcting what they are says >.>??

Haha, no, I like that idea!

Betelgeuse

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 04:22:07 PM »
I was thinking this exact thing actually. And my OC being really snarky and cool about it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal