collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Displaying your collection and Dust  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
Displaying your collection and Dust
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
I was just wondering how everyone deals with dust when displaying their collections. Most of mine are currently packed away however I'd like to display them all soon and I am curious how other collectors deal with dust and keeping them clean.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Displaying your collection and Dust
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »
I am curious as well. My collectiongets dusty too fast. I'm constantly dusting and am l looking for new casing
~Foxtale~

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
If I had enough money I would purchase matching enclosed display cases but since I don't have $1000 laying around to buy that many display cases, I've instead saran wrapped them and then put them on the shelves.  I'd much rather have them on display normally but I can't stand dusting!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:12:35 PM by stilettomlp »

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »
I am terrible about "thorough" dusting (taking them down and wiping them off), but a quick flick of a feather duster on a regular basis keeps the worst of it away without knocking too many of them over (heh). There are times I  think I'd rather just put them all away, because I like to be able to just wipe down a surface without having to pick everything up to do so, and prior to ponies preferred to keep knick knacks to a minimum. But that would just be sad... so they get feathered (and I grumble while I work ha ha).

If you can afford something enclosed, that would be *ideal*. Maybe do-able for a smaller collection, but gets prohibitive as the collection becomes... room sized. 0-o

Post Merge: January 06, 2013, 02:07:58 PM

If I had enough money I would purchase matching display cases but since I don't have $1000 laying around to buy that many display cases, I've instead saran wrapped them and then put them on the shelves.  I'd much rather have them on display normally but I can't stand dusting!

Ngggh, but even the wrapped ponies would collect dust... :(

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 02:13:52 PM »
I am terrible about "thorough" dusting (taking them down and wiping them off), but a quick flick of a feather duster on a regular basis keeps the worst of it away without knocking too many of them over (heh). There are times I  think I'd rather just put them all away, because I like to be able to just wipe down a surface without having to pick everything up to do so, and prior to ponies preferred to keep knick knacks to a minimum. But that would just be sad... so they get feathered (and I grumble while I work ha ha).

If you can afford something enclosed, that would be *ideal*. Maybe do-able for a smaller collection, but gets prohibitive as the collection becomes... room sized. 0-o

Post Merge: January 06, 2013, 02:07:58 PM

If I had enough money I would purchase matching display cases but since I don't have $1000 laying around to buy that many display cases, I've instead saran wrapped them and then put them on the shelves.  I'd much rather have them on display normally but I can't stand dusting!

Ngggh, but even the wrapped ponies would collect dust... :(

Yes, but at least its not touching the ponies so I don't feel so bad letting it get a little dusty, lol.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
*grumble grumble* - this is the only thing that puts me off ponies - the amount of dusting they require.

Even behind display cabinets dust collect unless they are vacuum sealed lol but I have also seen people wrap their ponies in plastic clear bags or cover rows of them with saran wrap.

For me unfortunately...I just need to dedicate a couple of days every single month to pony maintenance.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
I move my ponies around a lot. I just love arranging and re-arranging my display for some reason so that helps to keep them from collecting dust. Sometimes I do take a tissue and wipe down the shelf surfaces and dust the ponies just to make sure they aren't collecting anything. I think it also helps that I keep them in a room that I never open the window in, my cats are rarely allowed in, and the door is closed most of the time so not much gets a chance to float around in there anyway.

Offline Cwk123

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
I have a collection room, which is an extra bedroom strictly used for my collections. I have closed the vent to the room, since it's not a room I sit in all day and is not a main living space. Not only saves on heat/air, but there is no circulation in the room regularly that creates the dust.

Offline RavenWolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
Most craft stores sell clear vinyl plastic in different thicknesses on rolls, usually by the foot. I buy enough to cover the front of the shelf and use self sticking Velcro to attach the plastic to the shelf. After its been up for awhile any wrinkles pull out and you can't really see the plastic. (you can see it in the picture because of the camera flash)

On my main G1 shelf I even made a hinged door with the clear vinyl plastic over the door and weather stripping around the door where the self and door meet. Haven't had to dust that shelf in 3 years. the other ones with the plastic Velcroed on, I only dust yearly even though it usually doesn't need it.

Boldly going where no pony has gone before...

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
Most craft stores sell clear vinyl plastic in different thicknesses on rolls, usually by the foot. I buy enough to cover the front of the shelf and use self sticking Velcro to attach the plastic to the shelf. After its been up for awhile any wrinkles pull out and you can't really see the plastic. (you can see it in the picture because of the camera flash)

On my main G1 shelf I even made a hinged door with the clear vinyl plastic over the door and weather stripping around the door where the self and door meet. Haven't had to dust that shelf in 3 years. the other ones with the plastic Velcroed on, I only dust yearly even though it usually doesn't need it.

Wow!!! That's a neat idea!!!
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline blonde2themax

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »
That plastic idea is something I've wanted to try for a while now.  So if it's in a case it can still get dusty?
Thanks Shenanigans for my sig & Sirithfin for my profile pic :D!
My Sales Page :D!http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,319444.msg580218.html#msg580218
My G3 and Season Swap Wishlisthttp://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327117.new.html#new

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
That plastic idea is something I've wanted to try for a while now.  So if it's in a case it can still get dusty?

Dust sneaks through any place where air gets in, so yeah, but just not nearly as much as open shelving.

I love the plastic "wall" over the shelves (RavenWOlf). I don't have the kind of shelves that lend themselves to doing that, but if I did, that's what I'd be running around tomorrow looking for!!

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
I've gotten some great display cases at garage sales and thrift stores, and they were good deals too ($10 to 25 each).  But you have to search around, and just have good luck and timing.  Some thrift stores will still try to charge ridiculous prices even for broken ones; it's not worth it.  I even tried to fix up a broken one I got for cheap, but it was taking so much time I gave up after a while.  You could try craigslist too.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

kaninchen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 12:25:02 PM »
i live on the beach. dust is a neverending sisyphean task around here. once a month or so i move everything and swiffer my heart out. but it's pretty much in vain.

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
my ponies are stabled in a glass cabinet at the moment, I regularly take them out for photo-shoots/grooming sessions and give the shelves a wipe down before the ponies go back in!    :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal