collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Total newbie to dolls - need a basic rundown, please!  (Read 1947 times)

Pickenprod

• Trade Count: (0)
Total newbie to dolls - need a basic rundown, please!
« on: December 31, 2012, 03:17:11 AM »
SO. I told myself, for many months, that I would not get sucked into this area of the forum. But, time passes, and here I am...

I see a lot of names floating around here. Pullips, Tangkous, Winx, and of course Monster High... but I get lost in the threads, where I don't know what's what, and everyone else does so there's no explanation for the pictures posted.  I've already lurked enough to have educated myself about terms such as BJD and face-up, but that's about all.

Can anyone help me out with a list of the current popular dolls? Maybe a picture of one of each "type"? I don't mean every single item in the line or anything, just a general overview (like if it was for ponies, just a couple pictures to show the difference between toy generations). Mentions of size and cost would be a great bonus, too.

I'd be especially interested in any dolls with animal heads and/or glass eyes that can be swapped out.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
Re: Total newbie to dolls - need a basic rundown, please!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 03:30:37 AM »
Welcome to the dark side!

In my way of thinking, there are three types of dolls; BJDs, playline dolls (MH, winx, bratz) and collectible dolls (Pullip, Tonner etc.). Those can in turn have quite a broad price range within each segment. As you understand, there would be hundreds of dolls within each segment, with almost unlimited variation, so showing pics of each type is very tricky, It would depend on how you define a "type" of doll.

Here is a link to a recent thread about different lines of dolls, I hope it helps, and that you find some dollies that takes your fancy!

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,314567.msg499490.html#msg499490
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:38:55 AM by little.fox »

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
Maybe this will help you a tad

The girls on either end in the back are Dals, the girl in the middle is a Blythe. In the front from left to right: Doll Leaves tiny (BJD), Fairyland Pukifee Zoe (BJD), and Fairyland PukPuki (BJD).

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is not a family portrait :) by Vertefae, on Flickr

This is a Pullip

Untitled by Vertefae, on Flickr

The seated girl is a YoSD sized BJD. She's a hybrid of two different companies dolls. It also gives you an idea of sizes with MH.

Enjoying their presents by Vertefae, on Flickr

I hope this helps some, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I run a Dolly Hostel and have had almost every type of doll there is. :)

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »
And here are 2 EID Sized BJDs- They weigh 10 pounds each and are 68cm. Cost-wise, about $800-ish each with face-up, eyes and wigs.

I can do size comparisons if you'd like- I have MH, Pullips, Dal, Barbie, tiny BJD...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:20:08 AM by skyrocketneko »

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
Monster High : (List of all MH releases: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,283772.0.html)

Some of my own MH photos:

SDFse by JigglesTheCat, on Flickr

City Girl by JigglesTheCat, on Flickr

Monster High is owned by Mattel, and is extremely popular. Basic releases with one accessory, no pets or diary and a more basic outfit are around $13. Signature Releases - more detailed clothing with a few accessories, a pet, and a diary - are usually $20. Releases with detailed clothing, multiple accessories, and an extra outfit are $25 - 35. MH dolls are sold in most stores like Target, Walmart, ect., but they are really popular so it may take a while to find the doll you're looking for or even a MH doll at all. For more information, MH has its own forum... http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/board,177.0.html

American Girl : (Official AG shop website: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/static/home.jsp)

My own AG photos:

EDIT: Accidentally clicked post before I finished.. oops XD
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:03:18 AM by JigglesTheCat »
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Pickenprod

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
And here are 2 EID Sized BJDs- They weigh 10 pounds each and are 68cm. Cost-wise, about $800-ish each with face-up, eyes and wigs.

I can do size comparisons if you'd like- I have MH, Pullips, Dal, Barbie, tiny BJD...

What is EID? And 800 dollars... yikes, what have I wrought upon myself!

A size comparison would be wonderful :)

Also, I found "Resinsoul" dolls and am curious about them? I like the looks!

Offline crazykimochi

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Destination: Beautiful
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »
There are also lovely Minifees made by Fairyland! They are ~43cm and considered 'slim MSD' :)

Minifees by ❥CrazyKimochi, on Flickr

And of course, my favorite, anthros! I have 5 Zuzu Delfs from Luts and 1 Doll Factory Otter (also a Pukifee)~
Here's all my dolls together:

Family Photo by ❥CrazyKimochi, on Flickr

Minifees range from $400-$550ish as long as they're not limited edition heads. Zuzu's are about $250-$350 depending on if you get them fullset or not. Doll Factory otters and other tinies are about $160ish. And Pukifees are about $250-$300ish. Also there is the factor of face-up as well~ That adds a little more to the price. :)

Offline skyrocketneko

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Sometimes I like to play with lizards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
EIDs are Elder Iplehouse Dolls. Iplehouse is the brand.

I would say if you want a high quality BJD that poses well, go for ones around $400 and up. Really depends of your size preference as well. I prefer large because they are easy to sew for and easier for face ups!

I will take comparison shots.

CLICK ON CELESTIA FOR TONS OF SALES!

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »
Welcome to our little corner of the internet!  I am at work right this second, but I've been meaning to take a giant comparison pic for quite some time. You've provided me the perfect excuse, so when I get home, I'll line up a slew of different kinds of dolls for you, lol.

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »
I totally agree with little.fox!  ^.^ I also think of the dolly world as being generally comprised of playline dolls (usually less than $50), mid-range collector dolls ($50-$150+) and BJDs ($150+). Obviously those price ranges are SUPER general and there's lots of overlap but that gives you a ballpark idea.  :)

Playline dolls are dolls you could walk into Toys R Us or Walmart or wherever to buy. They're usually kid-aimed but lots are so well done that adults enjoy them too! There are also sometimes sub-lines that are marketed specifically for adult collectors (like Disney Store Designer Collection exclusives or Pink/Silver/Gold/Platinum Label Barbies).

Mid-range collector dolls are designed for adults. They are found more through specialty doll retailers, sometimes ones that carry multiple lines like angelicdreamz.com (which also has a physical store I believe?), or just specific brands like pullipstyle.com or tonnerdoll.com or many other places.

And BJDs are totally different again, but I won't try to talk about something I don't know :) I primarily collect Monster High, Disney dolls, and Pullips, so they're mostly all I know--and I'm no expert on any of them, anyway :lol:

Secondhand/vintage/out-of-production dolls can be found many places; dollymarket.net is great.

Oh, and my favourite place for doll reviews (which I learned about through someone here at the Dollhouse--sorry, I can't remember who!) is toyboxphilosopher.com -- she reviews tons of different kinds of dolls and does awesome comparisons too so I'd highly recommend reading her blog to get a feel for all the dolls out there!

That was long, sorry.  :blush: Oh, but a big welcome to the dolly world! :D We have cookies! :cookie:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:10:08 PM by Zombelina »
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline crazykimochi

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Destination: Beautiful
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 07:27:49 PM »
I did a comparison a while ago! I sold most of these dolls though, except for the purple Wolffy and little otter BJDs~

Comparison by ❥CrazyKimochi, on Flickr

Dream of Doll/Dream of Teenager Calla (SD) ~58cm
Luts Kid Delf Darae (MSD) ~43cm
Jun Planning/Groove Taeyang ~32cm
Jun Planning/Groove Pullip (on Obitsu) ~30cm
Jun Planning/Groove Dal ~26cm
Luts Zuzu Delf Wolffy ~19cm
Doll Factory Pet Ari Dalsoo ~12cm
Jun Planning/Groove Mini Pullip ~12cm

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »
Very educational!  Lovely dolls too!

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »
Aaaaand, I'm back!  Here you go...

RS 61cm-Pukipuki by barbgirl1999, on Flickr]

Farthest to the left is my Resinsoul Gang :heart:  He's a 61cm tall resin bjd and costs $195 new, direct from the factory.  RS dolls come bald and nude, with a random pair of eyes.
  Next is my Luts Delf Soony - I got her from the market on DoA for about $550...she's the most expensive doll I have, and I adore her. 
  Resinsoul Ai was the first doll I bought new from the company - She's about $195 as well.  Look at those hooves!  And her horns are attached with magnets, so you can move them around a bit on her head.
  Next is my recast Fairyland Chloe - She's an MSD-sized BJD, about 42cm tall.
  The redhead is Ellowyne Wilde, she's a plastic fashion doll designed by the Tonner Doll Company.  I got her from eBay for $60, nude.
  Next are a couple of Jun Planning dolls - My Taeyang, Meguna...and Pullip, Cornice.  Cornice has been put on an obitsu body, and both have been re-wigged.  Pullips can be bought used from various places (dollymarket, live journal, ebay, etc) or new.  They can range anywhere from $60-$200 for most, but way more expensive for some limiteds or older ones.
  The next girl is a Blythe, Mademoiselle Rosebud.  I got her used for $100...again, they can range in price from $100 and up, depending on the doll.
  Next is Monster High Dot Dead Gorgeous Draculaura - Monster High girls retail for $15-$30ish, usually.
  Bratzillaz - Meygana...these girls just came out this year and cost $15-$20.
  LaDeeDa - $15-$20, depending on the store.
  Bratz - $10-$30 retail, depending on the doll/wave
  Recast Pukifee Pong - 16cm, I think...SO CUTE!
  Legit PukiPuki Madeline - 11cm and about $180

*WHEW*  So, there you go...some things to look at.  You can definitely take a look at my Flickr for more pics, too.  I am a little spastic with my camera, haha!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:10:50 PM by barbgirl1999 »

~Rodan+Fields~

Offline Private_Bubbles

• Scribbles Pony
  • I'm Bubbles, Private Bubbles.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
I love the comparison pics :D
Just to add some info on BJD prices, Resinsoul and Bobobie (they are sister companies) are on the lower end of the price spectrum. For example, MSD sized dolls (around 40-45cm tall) can be purchased for under $200 from Resinsoul/Bobobie, but from Fairyland, where they are called Minifees, they are around $400-$550 like crazykimochi mentioned.
There are a great variety of designs, prices and sizes in the BJD world.

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
Aaaaand, I'm back!  Here you go...

RS 61cm-Pukipuki by barbgirl1999, on Flickr]

Farthest to the left is my Resinsoul Gang :heart:  He's a 61cm tall resin bjd and costs $195 new, direct from the factory.  RS dolls come bald and nude, with a random pair of eyes.
  Next is my Luts Delf Soony - I got her from the market on DoA for about $550...she's the most expensive doll I have, and I adore her. 
  Resinsoul Ai was the first doll I bought new from the company - She's about $195 as well.  Look at those hooves!  And her horns are attached with magnets, so you can move them around a bit on her head.
  Next is my recast Fairyland Chloe - She's an MSD-sized BJD, about 42cm tall.
  The redhead is Ellowynde Wilde, she's a plastic fashion doll designed by the Tonner Doll Company.  I got her from eBay for $60, nude.
  Next are a couple of Jun Planning dolls - My Taeyang, Meguna...and Pullip, Cornice.  Cornice has been put on an obitsu body, and both have been re-wigged.  Pullips can be bought used from various places (dollymarket, live journal, ebay, etc) or new.  They can range anywhere from $60-$200 for most, but way more expensive for some limiteds or older ones.
  The next girl is a Blythe, Mademoiselle Rosebud.  I got her used for $100...again, they can range in price from $100 and up, depending on the doll.
  Next is Monster High Dot Dead Gorgeous Draculaura - Monster High girls retail for $15-$30ish, usually.
  Bratzillaz - Meygana...these girls just came out this year and cost $15-$20.
  LaDeeDa - $15-$20, depending on the store.
  Bratz - $10-$30 retail, depending on the doll/wave
  Recast Pukifee Pong - 16cm, I think...SO CUTE!
  Legit PukiPuki Madeline - 11cm and about $180

*WHEW*  So, there you go...some things to look at.  You can definitely take a look at my Flickr for more pics, too.  I am a little spastic with my camera, haha!

WOH the size comparison when they are all together is rather awesome...so many dolly types!!
(also, why does Lex have no shoes? he seems miffed by this.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal