collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 is awfully cheap...  (Read 6113 times)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: G4 is awfully cheap...
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 09:19:17 AM »
Vector art can be made to look just like watercolor or any other media. :) This method of creating artwork is widely used on the industry because it yields images that can be scaled up to any size without becoming muddy or losing information. :)

I think what you meant to say was:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

People keep throwing around the word "vectors" as if that is a style of artwork, and you are right that it isn't at all. If you don't like the G4 art style, then you dont like the style (or more likely, based on what most people are saying, you don't like that they recolor the same artwork rathe than drawing something new) - vectors has nothing to do with it XD A vector is essentially a file type, it's not a style.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:21:05 AM by NoDivision »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
That's a good point;  it's not really the "vectors" I dislike, it's reusing the same image over and over, only recolored.

I think it's shorthand for "I have seen that same vector used over and over again!"
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 09:46:54 AM »
I was wondering about that myself, cause to me it is the same art work reused and I never heard it called that before.  G3 did reuse a bit of the art work but it seemed fresher when they did so.  I always thought vector was a file not an artwork style.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »
The thing is, the advantage of vectors is they store the image in pieces.  Why can't they mix more than the colors?  You've got three eye shapes, six eyelash types, a few snouts, and dozens of hair styles.  All these resources are sitting there.  Use them in stead of recoloring the same six ponies over and over again.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline silverskimmer

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
The thing is, the advantage of vectors is they store the image in pieces.  Why can't they mix more than the colors?  You've got three eye shapes, six eyelash types, a few snouts, and dozens of hair styles.  All these resources are sitting there.  Use them in stead of recoloring the same six ponies over and over again.

^this. Though I do miss the wonderful water colour work or G1 it's not going to come back because we can use computers to make everything now days. But that doesn't mean they can't mix it up to make the ponies look more unique.
Didn't DewDrop Dassle have different hair from everyone else on her back card? And she had some pretty detailed hair, was it ever used again?

Silver Skimmer Ref
Wish list
Looking for any and all wingers! Especially baity ones in need of love!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 03:59:35 PM »
I used the term 'vector' because that is how the art is done, not necessarily for the style of the art. which is why I also said 'they use the same vectors over and over again' XD It may be a bad use of the term, but it is kind of true
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »
They could texture the ponies to look like water colors.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Tupin

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 04:11:38 PM »
It's taken over two years, but I finally am starting to see some improvement in choices of vectors in pony related stuff.

For the longest time it seemed like Hasbro wasn't going to use anything other than either Faust's original pitch vectors or horribly proportioned and badly drawn ones. Now they actually seem to be making new ones.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »
Lol...this must be the most discussed topic for G4 :)

Personally I think it comes down to one core thing - My Little Pony are for children. They are not designed for collectors, they are not designed for fussy adults like ourselves who look for imperfections. They are designed to be played with - for general rough and tumble, through puddles, thrown around the living room, battling with other toys - general childhood mischief and fun.

So for Hasbro a head/body mismatch, some missing plugs, a little extra glue on the body, some badly done paint, dents from the plastic packaging - they really dont matter. Its all about shifting as many units of the product as possible and for MLP in this generation [and in G3 where many of the same issues existed] thats about stocking them high and selling them cheap. 

Ponies are priced at pocket money prices - they are designed to be cheap enough that mom/dad can pick one up and put it in their trolley as they do the weekly shop. In the past ponies were not priced in such a way - they were the same price then as they are now - so with inflation that means simply triple the price you would have paid in the 80s. A $15/£15 pony is not a pocket money price any more - it becomes a present for special occasions.

Do I expect standards to increase? Nope...they havent for the last decade so I dont see they there would be a need to now. Do I think it will bring about the end of G4? Nope...G3 lasted for many many years and as mentioned as long as little girls and boys ask for a pony as they pass the toy aisle this generation will continue.

Unfortunately it comes with collecting a toy - especially one which does not have a collectors edition [in price and quality] - perfect condition with no issues is not always going to be possible. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline PWN-E

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 07:40:09 AM »
Wow, so many replies

I thought of something else about the box art when I was taking a look at it. Does it really even need to be good-looking? Or decent enough from far away that it can be identified as My Little Pony. When I'm scanning down the isles one of the things I look for is the g4 packaging/colors.

I do like the g1 art and the unique drawings, but even then some of those have problems. I've seen backcards that look like the poor pony's necks are broken just because it's been drawn oddly.

This is a toy line aimed at children and I know they'll cut costs where they can and you can see that across all generations, it's just now it's more noticeable than ever.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 07:40:29 AM »
Lol. This is my take on it, and I know that it isn't a majority one.

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's behind about the packaging. I'm buying the pony. If they come out of the box, then it's going in the recycling bin. If they are staying in the box, then the box's job is to protect the pony. That's it. I don't care if on the box that Cupcake is drawn the same as Honeybuzz, and etc. I just want that pony. lol

As for the quality of the pony's themselves. Well, I would be lying if I said I didn't wish they were better at color matching, and more poses, but when it comes down to it.....I am just happy to still be able to have the opportunity to buy ponies. I love that I can still go into stores, and have that hope of finding a pony that I don't have in my collection. I so many other things to really worry about than the quality of my $5 pony. lol

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »
Y'know. I think Pony manufacturing is like overbreeding dogs. They are going to have problems.

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 09:25:58 AM »
If the economy was better right now, do you think G4s would have better quality or be about the same?
The same, a lot of what you guys are seeing existed in each of the previous generations, more so G3 then G1 or 2. 
Mis matched heads - check
Marks from packing - check
Stray dirt marks - check
Glue in the mane - check
Poorly done eyes or flaws to symbols - check

So nothing new.  Try to remember the price point these are being sold at, plus they are aimed as today's children which are expected to move on to new toys faster then say the '80' child was.  We have become a very disposable society (which saddens me) and therefore things are not always made as well.

Would you be willing to pay say $20 to $25 dollars a piece for a normal pony?  Well that is what you are in a way asking for.  Yes I know Zecora was up there and she had a ton of flaws, but again she is aimed more at the toy market then the collector market and originally was only $10. 

Would it be nice if the quality control was better, yes, will it happen, not likely.

Yes yes and YES

I think the quality HAS dropped a little bit because of  the factors mentioned before, but I also believe that regarding packaging and production in general we are overlooking one super important detail:

-The current design and the enterprises' selling trends:

Everything is minimalistic, everything is fast but eye catching, the less resources and time used and more money gained from it the more rentability the product has

which can be easily linked to the disposeable culture that is stronger now more than ever and might keep growing

if the point is selling more with less, then what can we expect? children too are not too picky about certain flaws, some will even ask to get their new toy exchanged or will throw it and get a new one

Also remember that G3s also reutilized the same darn vectors over and over (they had more variety in poses and had textures and whatnot but still it's the same mechanism and you could say the same about previous gens)

Regarding the prices: ponies have always been a bit more expensive here, I amo certainly not willing to pay around $10 for the teeny thing unless it´s something I REALLY want

It's a shame because the G4 ponies are so beautiful
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:28:36 AM by Silver_mirror46 »

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »
It just goes to show effort and quality are rewarded less and less in our society.  It's how fast you can do it for how little money.

Wadatsumi

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »
It just goes to show effort and quality are rewarded less and less in our society.  It's how fast you can do it for how little money.

that is so sad, but absolutely true.....and not only with toys but with the food here too =(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal