collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why do some of the G4's have two names?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Why do some of the G4's have two names?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »
DJ-PON3 is a fan made name. Not the official name which is apparently Vinyl Scratch. Same with others ^_^
I thought it was reverse.. DJ for the official name and Vinyl Scratch for the fan name o.O
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Tupin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »
Let's just say there were a lot of ponies Hasbro just considered incidental that now have toys based on their popularity. She would have never been named by Hasbro, she never had a speaking role and was in two episodes for maybe twenty seconds total. Why give such an unimportant pony a name?

Hasbro must love it. They don't even have to do the work of naming their ponies, they can just take a fan name, copyright it, and there you go. An incidental character ready to become one of the main ponies that is sold to fans. That happened with Octavia too. If they can't use the fan name for whatever reason, be it drama or copyright they're essentially *nudgenudgewinkwinknudgenudge* at what they can't say.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:39:14 PM by Tupin »

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
DJ-PON3 is a fan made name. Not the official name which is apparently Vinyl Scratch. Same with others ^_^
I thought it was reverse.. DJ for the official name and Vinyl Scratch for the fan name o.O

Nah, usually your DJ name is "DJ (somebody)".
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 03:44:54 PM »

Well that much I understand, but I never heard them anywhere use Vinyl Scratch for her name other than fans x: Which is why I assume it's a fan name not her actual name.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »

Well that much I understand, but I never heard them anywhere use Vinyl Scratch for her name other than fans x: Which is why I assume it's a fan name not her actual name.

I am with you on this one. Is the only official Hasbro use of the name not the Collectors Set release and on that she is DJ? Any times she appears as Vinyl is on licensed material which is not the same thing as a Hasbro release. So for me she is DJ.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 06:48:48 PM »

I am with you on this one. Is the only official Hasbro use of the name not the Collectors Set release and on that she is DJ? Any times she appears as Vinyl is on licensed material which is not the same thing as a Hasbro release. So for me she is DJ.

Oh my bad, I misunderstood. They put me on Reglan for my stomach and it is making it seriously difficult to concentrate on anything. :blush:
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »

Oh my bad, I misunderstood. They put me on Reglan for my stomach and it is making it seriously difficult to concentrate on anything. :blush:

:hug: I find the whole which came first and who is what name with G4 confuddling myself most of the time! Hope you feel better soon hun.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Saiko

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 09:57:57 PM »

She's been referred to as Vinyl on banners above an official Hasbro display of all their pony products.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And a close up

Although she is called 'DJ Pon-3' on her one toy, this is official enough for me. I personally think they went with DJ on the toy packaging to explain the cool glasses to kids.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:35:54 AM by Saiko »
:heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »
The images are on licensed products though and those images are from the licensing show. There is a difference between what Hasbro calls their toys and what a licensee puts on their product - we can see that just from the differences between merchandisers and what they each call Drama Pony, Dr Hooves, etc.

But then again there is no law that says we cant call our ponies what we please :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »
Drama pony or not, she'll always be :muffin: Pony Hooves in my heart.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

BerryPunch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 11:15:28 AM »
Drama pony or not, she'll always be Drama Pony Hooves in my heart.

Agreed. :)

Also, don't forgot how the merchandise part of Hasbro doesn't seem to have good connections to the show, because Carmel is named "Chance a Lot" in the toys, and Rose is Roseluck (Which I like way better), and Daisy is Flowerwishes in the toys...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal