collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Learning a second language, where to start?  (Read 300 times)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Learning a second language, where to start?
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
Ok, I very much want to learn Spanish so that I can converse with someone who is very special to me. Right now she and I can only speak with each other using google translate or something similar, as I speak very little Spanish and she speaks no English. If I could learn Spanish, things would be so much easier. I took a year of Spanish in high school and growing up my best friend was Cuban and her parents spoke very little English. So I do have some background with it, but not enough to do anything but the most basic communication. Trouble is, I dont even know where to start. So, any advice/suggestions? What did you do/use to help you learn a second language?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Learning a second language, where to start?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
Reading immersion is how I learned Spanish, French, and Portuguese.  It worked for me but might not work for everyone. 

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
Definitely keeping an eye on this thread. I took 3 years of German (2 in high school and 1 in college) and I haven't used it in a few years. I still remember some and I can sing MLP and Disney songs in German, but I can't really converse that well. I was thinking about going back to school specifically to learn German. What helps me not forget it completely is watching movies in German with German subtitles. With Disney movies, I know them so well in English that it's easier for me to understand what's going on when the characters speak in German. I also sing Disney and MLP German songs daily which helps me with pronunciation. I also still have my work sheets from school, which I definitely need to look at again. Maybe try reading some children books and have a dictionary on hand to help translate and go from there?

I wish I had good advice. I'm working on re-learning German and could use some advice myself. :lol:
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
You might want to try learning from Rosetta Stone. I have used them back in the day when I was trying to learn Japanese and they are very good and have different ways to teach you how to learn whatever language it is you want to learn. ^.^

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »
I had 4 years of Spanish in high school, but have forgotten so much vocabulary. I listen to Spanish music to refresh myself. Another tip is while you are learning, not to translate in your head so much. Learn to "think in Spanish" not just "how do I say this in Spanish"

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »
I had 3 years of Japanese in high school, and I'm not even using it. Would've been smarter to learn Spanish since that way I'd actually get SOME sort of benefit from learning it. >,<;
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 02:29:47 AM »
Books. Buy a good study book!
I love Spanish!

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 03:07:49 AM »
Well I'm not sure how much help I'll be, but english isn't my main language so I thought I could add some input :P 

We were obviously taught english in school from a very young age and have english classes every year untill we graduate. I did graduate almost 10 years ago now but still keeping up with the english :P

What I've found most helpfull to really get a grasp of the language is that I use it in every day life, that I'm surrounded by it and that I get to talk to people every day that do have it as a native language. Most shows on TV are in english with swedish subtitles, i read loads of books in english, most sites on the internet are in english and heck, I get to practice it every day when talking to you guys on here :P

Yes I know english is a "world language" and that some might not know it is unthinkable since it's so common :P But fact remains that it is a second language to me ;)

So what I recommend are some courses in spanish, if it's an evening course at a certin place in town or if you buy computer programs and the like that teaches you the language it's both good. Allthough a course with a real person is probably better. And as some others have suggested, try to get it into your every day life. Read books in Spanish (starting with simple ones :P ), watch shows in spanish with english subtitles and maybe even get some help from your friend :)

I took French in school for 3 years, visited France a handfull of times, have some childrens books in French and also have some educational computer programs in French. I still remember a little, but as I don't use it frequently I've noticed it's really slipping my memory and I can't properly communicate in it as I can with English which I use so often.

So I think it does make all the difference to keep practice it and to keep using it in your every day life :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:12:00 AM by Desert Rose »
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 06:41:32 AM »
I can only learn from a class, and interaction.

(But for just strictly vocab, I do REALLY great with flash cards).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 08:39:29 AM »
Free podcasts and apps are great tools to help
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
I would trry to get the basic verbs down first, then integrate some vocab and try that out.

It helps if you can get around people constantly fluently talking that language too. Youll pick up things faster.

Remember that Spanish, French and Italian are all very similar so if you know one its easy to go to another, verb wise

Yeah, 10 years of French and 2 in Italian >>  I can say that I can atleast understand most things ^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 11:30:58 AM »
Well... since I am portuguese, I can speak spanish as well (it's quite similar). I did learn french in school, but I forgot most of it xD

I have no experience on this... but it seems others have great ideas, so good luck ! :D

Ayalah

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
I second the Rosetta Stone series. I've heard great things! I've had 2 friends use them to great effect. I'm thinking of trying one myself.

There are also games/learning utilities online. When I was learning Gaelic I found those the most helpful. I picked things up so much faster when doing puzzles and hearing the words as they came up on the screen (hard to explain)

I'm someone who needs to see and hear things at once.

There are also "pen pal" type language learning forums/websites. You go in and find someone who's trying to learn English and then back and forth with eachother for practice (either skype or in writting) Those are free. I's been a while so I don't have links but you could look into them!

Just some thoughts :)

Also I so envy those of you who had a Japanese language option in HS. We didn't.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 05:35:48 PM »
Thank you all very much! I think I may look into possibly getting Rosetta Stone. It looks useful.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 07:13:25 PM »
Learn how to talk about something you like. Learn to talk ponies in Spanish, what words you need to know to talk about them, and how to form sentences. If it's something you like you're more likely to remember. After that, expand upon it. You'll learn the basics and then you'll have an easier time with other words and phrases since you've gotten a grip on syntax and pronunciation. There will always be words you'll have to look up, but once you get the basics down you'll only have to look up those words once.

I learned Swedish by learning how to talk hockey, then by watching Swedish hockey league games. After that, it was easy to pick up the rest.

I have a blag about ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal