collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fading pink hair, what to do with you?  (Read 668 times)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Fading pink hair, what to do with you?
« on: December 16, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »
Hi guys! So what do you do to preserve your ponies fading pink hair? Currently I try to keep them in the back/middle of my display cabinate so the least amount of sun hits them, but i have been tempted to grab used light blocking bags from my work ( I am a nurse and we use light retardant bags for some medications) as we will throw them out any way.

What do you do?
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Fading pink hair, what to do with you?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »
I keep mine in a wardrobe so that no light or constant air flow will get to them.  I don't put mine in baggies due to mold build up since I live in a humid area.  I feel light is a huge problem so not many of my ponies are on display as a result. I only take them out to admire a few at a time and the rest are safe in a dark pony community lol.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »
I keep mine on shelves in the closet.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

CrimsonEtClover

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 05:57:27 PM »
Does artificial light fade it?

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »
I almost want to say no to artificial light fading it, but I can't be 100% sure; I have one of the early releases of G3 Minty and her hair is still really pink despite being exposed to a good amount of artificial light.  Same for Pinkie Pie.

I don't do anything too special.  I just keep them away from the sunlight as best as I can and try to block it from getting into the room.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
I would say yes to artificial light fading because people who keep their dolls in curio cabinets have said that it caused all sorts of problems and they now dont recommend any collection that is vinyl, plastic, fabric or wood be placed in a lighted cabinet.  Like for example Ginny dolls eye brows turn orange or yellow in lighted cabinets and in sun.  I don't know how long it took to happen, I am just not taking the chance.  In some castles you are not allowed to take pictures because the flash will destroy the antique paintings.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:36:09 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »
Artificial light is harmful to materials, just not as bad as direct sunlight because indoor lighting usually lacks the UVA and UVB components of full spectrum light (which is what lets plants photosynthesize, and causes sunburns.)  Light is after all energy, and you are hitting whatever surface is being lighted with photons.  The more lumens, the faster the damage. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 11:01:07 PM »
I think there was a pony experiment someone conducted, and it showed that artificial light doesn't fade. I can't find the thread though.
I keep mine in drawers. I'm totally paranoid about having pink hair fade.

Offline PurpleCheeseStick

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Woweeeeeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 11:12:08 PM »
I just keep mine on my shelves with my others. Currently my room is in my basement, so no sunlight gets down here. Ever. XD I have artificial lights of course but I'm not too concerned about them- I myself don't think putting ponies into drawers and such makes much sense. I buy my ponies mainly to display them and keep them out for easy access if I want to play with their hair or take them on an adventure with me, so I don't foresee ponies in drawers or bags in my future!  :P
:happy: :rainbow: G2 Maniac! :rainbow: :enthralled:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »
BlackCurtains did a fantastic experiment with fading pink hair and different types of light to show the effects.

Yes, all light has an effect but light containing UV is beyond doubt the most aggressive in speed and scale of damage.

I usually keep my pink haired ponies at the back of the shelves. I live surrounded by trees on 4 sides in the heart of the Scottish countryside - the sunlight here is not only patchy but very seldom strong. However, I had a minty Milkweed and Tumbleweed with the pinkest hair - they sat in their bassinet, at the back of a shelf and never in direct sunlight [but in a room which gets sunlight and curtains always closed to ensure limited damage] but over the years their hair [the top of their manes not their tails which are in complete darkness] has faded noticeably. So I agree that given time and even some indirect light fading is going to occur.

I am planning to reorganise the pony room over the festive break and keep all those pink haired ponies properly in the dark some how!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »
For now I keep all my ponies stored in the dark in my walk-in closet (don't want to leave them out because of smokers). My dream someday is to have a craft/hobby room and have them put on display in there, away from direct sunlight and with really heavy curtains to use when I'm not in there. Some UV protection windows would be pretty awesome too! lol.

I have some ponies with really bright fading pink hair so I'm trying to preserve that as much as possible.

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 01:50:21 PM »
Thanks for the info, I am coming up with an idea...if I can make a boxed in shelf with a door in the front, then only open the ponies up when i am showing them off or to look at them myself...
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »
One pony collector has everything in glass displays, but hung a ceiling mounted curtain in front of her cabinets so when she wants to protect them, she closes that. I think it's a fantastic idea I'll be using once I have enough cabinets. I've only got a couple shelves and will be picking up a wall mounted display case in the spring (I hope). For those I bought some light blocking panels from a clearance center, and will cut/edge them and attach Velcro to the top of the panel & top of each case- so they're there when I want them and off easily enough when I show off the ponies.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »
Hmmm... I cover the inner sides of the windows with blankets and tack it down so no light comes in.  Then there's drapery over that so even more light-blocking.  I have observed the light moving around in that room over the course of the day so I understand which shelves still get some sunlight.  The pink-haired ponies are tucked up on one of the darkest, highest shelves that never receives direct sunlight and all UV light is extremely muted and ambient by that point. 

It's such a challenge photographing it though!  I have taken pictures of all my nicest pink ponies but the photos do no justice to the actual color so I am not sure if any fading has occured over the past few months... :( 

I think if I did discover they were fading that I would move them to a different room in the house where there is no access to outdoor light at all.  Or put them in a cabinet with closed doors.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »
Like a vampire...lol....all my windows are covered...hehe

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal