collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Etsy question .  (Read 581 times)

pony dust

• Trade Count: (0)
Etsy question .
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:00:52 AM »
Okay so I want to start selling my ponys , customs , and some other things I make, I started an e bay account and started with just a few listings mostly just to ease me into it and make sure I get it right as learning as I go . Then hubby listed like 30 things , don't get me wrong I'm happy for any money that can be made right now but as we are new sellers we can only list like 50 things in the first 90 days :-/ so it's getting close to that now and it's only been about 20 days as a seller !

So what is it like to do an etsy shop ? Do you get a lot of through traffic? As I'm really considering it .
I've never used it but have looked many many times lol

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
Re: Etsy question .
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
This is what I would advise, if you are intending to sell regularly. I've been doing it for a year both on etsy and ebay and there are advantages to both. So let me see if I can tell you what I do, maybe you will get some ideas :D

1. I have a deviantart account to post my work in [any gallery would work though that gets a lot of exposure].

2. I have a facebook artist account that I update with all my dolls and ponies, and I try to network with other groups and members that are interested in the same things I am. I also join groups on facebook where I can post links to my auctions for people interested.

3. I put my low cost sales items in my etsy store [or my commission slots], because they list for three months per listing, and the fee is very minimal when you sell, unlike ebay who kind of screws you a little unless you sell high [the percentage they take goes down the higher the price you get for your item]

4. I post here as well in the appropriate categories when I list new items.

5. You are right, don't list too many items at once. As it is I have ah ard time getting ten items out at once so if nothing else, stagger your listings a few days, in groups, so you can keep up more easily.

6. When you list on ebay OR etsy, connect all of your other medias to it. Post in your gallery a link to the auction, on facebook groups or your page post your links to auctions, etc etc etc. It's all about networking. It takes a while to build up a reputation and to get a decent price for your items. I namely only put customs on ebay when I need fast money, OR I know it will be something that will sell for a good amount. On etsy you of course set the fee so can't have bidding, so I reserve listing for etsy to my commission slots, low cost customs, and other little things. I wouldn't bother listing anything on ebay that's not over twenty five dollars honestly, but that's just my opinion. they take a final value fee and a final shipping fee. Etsy takes a small fee of the final value fee but it seems consistantly much lower than ebay.

Also, when you start an etsy shop you have the ability to pay for 'impressions' or advertising, which pops up your chosen items a certain number of times per week when people search for something in that category. I'm getting a lot of business traffic from advertising [I only pay five a week , every other week but you can do up to twenty a week that provides a lot of advertising], but I also get a lot of traffic from google searches. :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thank you tinrobo!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal