collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bubblecup/Ditzy Doo/SDCC Pony Re-release?  (Read 14820 times)

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
Re: Bubblecup/Ditzy Doo/SDCC Pony Re-release?
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2012, 11:09:29 PM »
I hope that they do re-release her, but in different packaging, and maybe with the the flipped cutie mark, as others have suggested. Then I could have 4 of her! :D

Also, brushable sized! Pleeeeeeeeeease?
I hope at least 3 of those are customs...

No. I have two now. One MIB and one loose. I meant if they released her as a normal FS pony with swapped symbols, I would have 4... another to keep MIB and another to have loose.... though I'm not sure if I'd need another loose or not. I have one of everything G4 MIB, so I'd at least need that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »
I hope that they do re-release her, but in different packaging, and maybe with the the flipped cutie mark, as others have suggested. Then I could have 4 of her! :D

Also, brushable sized! Pleeeeeeeeeease?
I hope at least 3 of those are customs...

No. I have two now. One MIB and one loose. I meant if they released her as a normal FS pony with swapped symbols, I would have 4... another to keep MIB and another to have loose.... though I'm not sure if I'd need another loose or not. I have one of everything G4 MIB, so I'd at least need that.
Oh. :c

I just want ONE.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2012, 11:46:16 PM »
I'd love to see her released as a regular sized G4.  I do prefer the wings on the larger version though.  (here's my 'duh' moment...All this time I hadn't realized the SDCC version was a larger size pony.  How did I not know that????)
For a re-release I'm fine with a name change if the original was thought to be offensive.  At the same time though I'd like her eyes to stay as they are.  If they got rid of them it's sort of like saying, you're not good enough because your eyes aren't so called 'normal'.    Or maybe give her two different colour eyes if the company felt that was safer?  She's a unique little pony.
And I'm not saying this to get into debate.  :)

DirePony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2012, 03:15:14 AM »
I would really like to have a smaller version of :muffin: Pony as well. I like the idea of making her a pack in with a playset so they could avoid the naming issue entirely. And I really like the idea of another favorites collection with some more of the more popular background ponies.
I don't think they need to change her eyes either. I still think that most of her controversy didn't come from her eyes or name but the voice that they used in the original airing of The Last Roundup. But if Hasbro needs to do that to get her released then I am okay with that. It would be easy enough to print up some eye decals to make her :muffin: Pony again.

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2012, 06:29:35 AM »
I'd kill for one with Blythe style eyes where you push a button and they change. They could cross and uncross, lol

Offline Saiko

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2012, 06:46:27 AM »
I will never be able to afford the SDCC :muffin: Pony, so I would love to see her re-released at all because I love her and absolutely need her in my collection. Regular size, blind bag and fashion size, I'll buy them all!

I would be very put off if she didn't have her trademark eyes, though. I do not see why having odd eyes on the toy would be a problem, except with parents thinking it's an error which is easily fixed by having clear artwork on the box. There's really nothing wrong with teaching children that some people (or ponies) look different, and that difference is what makes them special. Her tagline on the back of the box could be something along the lines of ':muffin: Pony Hooves has special eyes' or 'magic eyes' or whatnot. Or if they want to get really deep: ':muffin: Pony Hooves is sometimes teased for her different eyes, but her friends love her even more for them'.

As for the name, although :muffin: Pony is her canon name, it's not a very pretty name. It's not offensive, but it's not flowery and girly, so I don't think it's likely Hasbro would go with it, other than in a second Fan Favourite pack, which is what I'm hoping for.
I'd be happy with Ditzy Doo, despite Ditzy being a completely different pony in the canon.
They could release her as a "bonus" pony with a playset, then they could sidestep the naming thing.  They never named that pink unicorn who came as a bonus with Rarity's Carousel Boutique.
This is a very good idea.
:heart:

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »
I am 100% against this and would be furious if they did release her widely. :(
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline Starly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2012, 08:51:45 AM »
Why? It would make more people happy. :/
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »

Many collectors feel that Limited Edition should mean just that.  G4 Bubblecup was originally advertised as an exclusive to the convention.  Some people booked international flights to attend the SDCC in order to obtain the pony as part of their ticket package.  They waited in line for hours and were told, "We ran out of ponies."  Therefore it would be quite distasteful if Hasbro re-released this pony after advertising it as an exclusive product.  We know there will always be people who buy tickets to scalp the exclusive toys, but making the product mass-marketed and available to everyone after creating a "frenzy" about her would only hurt the sales of any future toys they would claim as "exclusive".
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

BerryPunch

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2012, 11:17:41 AM »
I will never be able to afford the SDCC :muffin: Pony, so I would love to see her re-released at all because I love her and absolutely need her in my collection. Regular size, blind bag and fashion size, I'll buy them all!

I would be very put off if she didn't have her trademark eyes, though. I do not see why having odd eyes on the toy would be a problem, except with parents thinking it's an error which is easily fixed by having clear artwork on the box. There's really nothing wrong with teaching children that some people (or ponies) look different, and that difference is what makes them special. Her tagline on the back of the box could be something along the lines of ':muffin: Pony Hooves has special eyes' or 'magic eyes' or whatnot. Or if they want to get really deep: ':muffin: Pony Hooves is sometimes teased for her different eyes, but her friends love her even more for them'.
As for the name, although :muffin: Pony is her canon name, it's not a very pretty name. It's not offensive, but it's not flowery and girly, so I don't think it's likely Hasbro would go with it, other than in a second Fan Favourite pack, which is what I'm hoping for.
I'd be happy with Ditzy Doo, despite Ditzy being a completely different pony in the canon.
I love you. Finally someone who understands. I love your suggestions, BTW. :D

Anyway, I don't think it not being *shudder* "flowery and girly" is a problem. There are lots of ponies without names like that. Heck, Applejack isn't. Honeybuzz isn't. Not to mention the blind bags.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »
The Chinese sellers use old photos all the time -  the one with White Celestia pops up a lot too-  the sellers are just selling other ponies that also appear in the photo they used...

That said, if that seller did somehow get some :muffin: Pony ponies, I am sure it does not signify another release-  more likely they would be leftovers/misprints/test shots or rejects. 

BerryPunch

« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2012, 11:48:19 AM »
The Chinese sellers use old photos all the time -  the one with White Celestia pops up a lot too-  the sellers are just selling other ponies that also appear in the photo they used...

That said, if that seller did somehow get some :muffin: Pony ponies, I am sure it does not signify another release-  more likely they would be leftovers/misprints/test shots or rejects.
Sigh, whatever did happen to those pretty white Celestias? How long was the gap between the :muffin: Ponies being leaked and released?

Offline Malicieuse

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2012, 11:50:33 AM »

I love you. Finally someone who understands. I love your suggestions, BTW. :D

Anyway, I don't think it not being *shudder* "flowery and girly" is a problem. There are lots of ponies without names like that. Heck, Applejack isn't. Honeybuzz isn't. Not to mention the blind bags.

Even when you go by the "Trey Parker and Matt Stone" definition of Derp, her name is still the equivalent of "Screw Up", "wierd face" or "Lame Joke". I have a hard time understanding why people are so attached to that name.
It's a pretty mean name to give to a character you "love".

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:52:14 AM by Malicieuse »

Jypsy

« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »

Many collectors feel that Limited Edition should mean just that.  G4 Bubblecup was originally advertised as an exclusive to the convention.  Some people booked international flights to attend the SDCC in order to obtain the pony as part of their ticket package.  They waited in line for hours and were told, "We ran out of ponies."  Therefore it would be quite distasteful if Hasbro re-released this pony after advertising it as an exclusive product.  We know there will always be people who buy tickets to scalp the exclusive toys, but making the product mass-marketed and available to everyone after creating a "frenzy" about her would only hurt the sales of any future toys they would claim as "exclusive".

There are many ways to create new mass-market editions and keep the collectors reasonably happy.
The most obvious one is make her into the smaller Playful Ponies size and not re-release her as a brushable.

Other ways are to have her in a different pose, different facial expression, switching the CM to the other side or some other minor variant to differentiate the exclusive from the mass-market version.

Even the hardcore fans that traveled specifically to get her (which seems silly to me since she is cheaper on ebay than a plane ticket would have been, let alone a round-trip ticket from another country.) have to understand that hasbro is in the business of making money, and if they feel enough people will buy ditzy to warrant a new run they will do it.

It is like the DJ Pon-3 or any other in the fan favorite set. If they re-release any of them people will get bent out of shape, but they are different than standard releases in a few ways...

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »

:like:

I agree wholeheartedly!!

Therefore it would be quite distasteful if Hasbro re-released this pony after advertising it as an exclusive product.  We know there will always be people who buy tickets to scalp the exclusive toys, but making the product mass-marketed and available to everyone after creating a "frenzy" about her would only hurt the sales of any future toys they would claim as "exclusive".

Specifically, this. Hasbro would seriously jeopardize their legitimacy if they got into the habit of making exclusives available as a regular product. If collectors started to suspect that they could just get exclusive toys by waiting a few months for them to show up in stores after the events were over, the backlash that Hasbro would suffer from the companies that run the conventions would be great indeed. The conventions are well aware that many people go to their event specifically to get the exclusive products. Not just from Hasbro, but from everyone who offers exclusives at these events. If Hasbro started having their con-exclusive toys available for retail it would take away sales from the convention.

That being said, it would be perfectly acceptable for Hasbro to release this character as a brushable, in a playset, or as a blind bag. It's the toy itself that is exclusive, not the character.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal