collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MH Black Friday  (Read 2902 times)

Rainsong

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MH Black Friday
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »
I wasn't planning on going out but we had to get stuff for our Thanksgiving meal tomorrow. so we ran by Fred Meyers because I'm crazy.

The CAM set were $14.99 for their 6 hour sale, 5-11am or something like that, but when we scanned them... they were still coming up at $14.99! So I finally have my boys, and Wrenn has her "Neri" :P

Offline Dakashy

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dakashy's Tumblr
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
I heard on the news that A couple were run over by an suv in the parking lot of my local Walmart last night. My hubby was happy that i didn't go.

Renton Walmart?!

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »
I heard on the news that A couple were run over by an suv in the parking lot of my local Walmart last night. My hubby was happy that i didn't go.

Renton Walmart?!

Nope, Covington.

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »

I am never whining about not getting the Black Friday sales ever again!

Offline Dakashy

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dakashy's Tumblr
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
We went to TRU and I had a Frankie with a good face on my hands, I'd put down a few with really bad paint wonk. One woman came by and just grabbed one at random and started to walk away. I told her she didn't want that one and when she asked me why I pointed out the face wonk, then handed her the one I had been holding. She and her husband thanked me and as a thanks he grabbed the last Abbey from the top shelf for me. (I'm short.)

Then another couple came by and were looking for Abbey. Turns out that was the only doll their daughter had asked for XMas. So I handed her the one I was holding. They were super shocked!

Didn't leave with any dolls from TRU, and I'm still on the hunt for the perfect Scaris Rochelle. But I feel that my doll Karma got some good points last night.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »
I didn't have to battle anyone at Wal-Mart! I tried to grab the best looking ones, but it was hard when they wouldn't let you look at any of the dolls. They weren't even wrapped up! We got to stand by the items we wanted. My boyfriend was going for electronics while I went for the dolls. The Wal-Mart we went to was really bad though. They hardly had any of the advertised electronic/tv/movie items. We were going for Epic Mickey 2 for the Wii for $25 and when they unwrapped everything, it was nowhere to be seen and the manager said they had not gotten any in for Black Friday. Luckily we had planned for me to go to the electronics department to try and grab a copy from the case since we stopped by earlier to check to see if they had any. They had a policy where they couldn't hand us a game from the case because they are in a high theft area. I almost didn't get my game because it wasn't up there when I got there which was ridiculous because the manager there and some employees saw me walk up with an employee who had the game for me. Luckily there was another one in the case. Otherwise I would have thrown a fit. My boyfriend and I promised each other we would never go back to that Wal-Mart ever again because of how they handled everything in general.

Anyways, the Wal-Mart hardly had anything besides CAMs, some SS and RM dolls and some GR Abbeys. I didn't make it to TRU at all so I couldn't get either of the I <3 Fashion dolls, but that's ok. Now to find those Picture Day dolls.
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

SajiNoKami

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2012, 12:26:49 AM »
went to a city's edge walmart at 7pm and they still had Classroom frankie for $10, but no picture day, dance class, or scaris... so nothing for me today... sigh.

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2012, 12:55:23 AM »
i stood in line at walmart for 2 hours to get lagoona, as soon as they said go, my brother grabbed me one. he was in my cart and i had him right up next to the dolls. a lady tried to grab it out of his hands but he held on tight and pulled back as hard as he could and he got her and put her in the cart and sat on her. i was so proud of him! lol i wouldn't of got one if it weren't for him. and then later on in the night (after getting in a fight with 2 ladies by mp3 players) a nice couple that are regulars at my store, had sat down a ghoulia and frankie, i asked them if they belonged to them and they said i was welcome to take them if i wanted, they had only grabbed one of each to see which one they liked better. so i ended up with the whole set! yay!!! but can't have them til xmas cuz mom bought em for me.

Blitzn

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2012, 06:55:51 AM »
OK next time I will try to pick up an extra set or two.

It's like you can tell which Walmarts the scalpers frequent. So I feel obligated to leave a few on the shelf at this one store. Once I saw collectors come in after me when I just got the last MHs. Mattel really needs to fix their distribution, and also stop giving away free dolls LOL Like the girl that complained about Scarah Screams having thin hair to get a refund.  Or the girl that complained about Robocca's legs, to get a free doll, when mattel intentionally gave her knees an extra joint.  Just a couple examples. Bragging about getting free stuff for minor flaws, and the encouragement of scalping on this board, is a real turn off. But there are some good peeps as well. So I will look for extras for the less picky collectors when I am MH hunting.

Also, Toys R Us had BOGO Free on bratz fashion, bratzillas, and moxies. Others were on clearance. None had tags or signs. I scanned them.

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »
the encouragement of scalping on this board, is a real turn off.

No idea what you're talking about, Blitzn. I lurk the MH boards nearly every day, and I NEVER see someone encouraging scalpers...pretty much all despise them here.

AcademicSquirrel, what you did was wonderful. Really makes a day brighter, to know someone is so unselfish. :)

I went to TRU on Thurs. (well it was at 11:30, may as well have been Fri. by then) No I <3's anywhere. Until I looked way in the back...3 Frankies left. I moved two to the front and bought one for myself. No problems at all at TRU, even the staff seemed happy to be there (or at least, pretended to be)

Now Best Buy, that was a different story. Every year, a line so long it coils around the parking lot..and I still don't see what the big deal is.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Foxy_Ninja

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »

No idea what you're talking about, Blitzn. I lurk the MH boards nearly every day, and I NEVER see someone encouraging scalpers...pretty much all despise them here.

AcademicSquirrel, what you did was wonderful. Really makes a day brighter, to know someone is so unselfish. :)

I went to TRU on Thurs. (well it was at 11:30, may as well have been Fri. by then) No I <3's anywhere. Until I looked way in the back...3 Frankies left. I moved two to the front and bought one for myself. No problems at all at TRU, even the staff seemed happy to be there (or at least, pretended to be)

Now Best Buy, that was a different story. Every year, a line so long it coils around the parking lot..and I still don't see what the big deal is.

Scalpers do not frequent these boards. We despise them. The ones that complain to get a free doll aren't even on here either. But on Flickr they are.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »
I've seen a few people selling the MH dolls for scalper-ish prices here. Like $25-30 for the budget line dolls and $40+ for all others, including ones still easily available in stores. I don't think the regular posters here are scalpers, but there are a few that sell here.

Offline zannid

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »
OK next time I will try to pick up an extra set or two.

It's like you can tell which Walmarts the scalpers frequent. So I feel obligated to leave a few on the shelf at this one store. Once I saw collectors come in after me when I just got the last MHs. Mattel really needs to fix their distribution, and also stop giving away free dolls LOL Like the girl that complained about Scarah Screams having thin hair to get a refund.  Or the girl that complained about Robocca's legs, to get a free doll, when mattel intentionally gave her knees an extra joint.  Just a couple examples. Bragging about getting free stuff for minor flaws, and the encouragement of scalping on this board, is a real turn off. But there are some good peeps as well. So I will look for extras for the less picky collectors when I am MH hunting.

Also, Toys R Us had BOGO Free on bratz fashion, bratzillas, and moxies. Others were on clearance. None had tags or signs. I scanned them.

Unless someone is lying about having a problem with a doll, I really don't blame anyone for contacting Mattel about an issue. If they spent more effort on quality then they wouldn't have to deal with replacing so many dolls with defects. :/ I kind of feel like it's the companies policy and their known issues, their call in the end. If you spend a good chunk of time and money on something, you should be able to expect a certain level of quality and service.

It's great that there are customizers who buy wonky dolls and that some of us have the materials and skills to fix certain defects in our dolls, but not everybody does. Even for those of us who do, how many people have had to reroot a doll they weren't planning to? My Operetta's hair wasn't the best to start with. Couldn't wash it because water has been known to accelerate glue seepage, so I made do. Now it's starting to seep glue and what was a bit frizzy hair is now turning into a bit of a hot mess. So, she's going to get new hair. It's only $5 in supplies, but it's a few days worth of work for me.

So I figure with cleaning off a face here, fixing hair there, a paint touch up on this and that doll, and an occasional reroot, if there's a flaw that bugs me and I can't or don't want to fix? Well, I'm going to tell Mattel about it.

Now, scalpers? I really can't stand that. It's one thing to be someone who occasionally sells collectors items or who is selling a rare doll, but people who intentionally buy out new releases in an area and then charge 3-4x the price? That's wrong.

I'm someone who occasionally has a hard time walking and either ends up stuck in bed or hobbling around on crutches. People who are willing to pick up spare dolls and sell them for a fair price are such lovely people. You have a few random bad apples that try to come in to a comm and make a profit but for the most part it seems that everyone around here is very nice and helpful!

Offline Dakashy

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dakashy's Tumblr
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »

:blush:  Thank you.

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2012, 02:00:45 PM »
So I figure with cleaning off a face here, fixing hair there, a paint touch up on this and that doll, and an occasional reroot, if there's a flaw that bugs me and I can't or don't want to fix? Well, I'm going to tell Mattel about it.

Now, scalpers? I really can't stand that. It's one thing to be someone who occasionally sells collectors items or who is selling a rare doll, but people who intentionally buy out new releases in an area and then charge 3-4x the price? That's wrong.

I'm someone who occasionally has a hard time walking and either ends up stuck in bed or hobbling around on crutches. People who are willing to pick up spare dolls and sell them for a fair price are such lovely people. You have a few random bad apples that try to come in to a comm and make a profit but for the most part it seems that everyone around here is very nice and helpful!

Pretty much all you said here sums it up for me. Some just happen to have the older dolls who went up in value and decided to get rid of them and take offers which because they are rare/wanted/special end up at pretty high prices. That's normal to me! 

The scalpers like that guy/grinch in the video =  :mad:

It's great that people mostly work together to get the dolls to those who are wanting them for at cost prices or close to it and there will always be a few expired espresso shots for the many sweet lattes <3

:blush:  Thank you.

You are super nice to give doll help to those who otherwise might have been a wee bit sad seeing them all sold out.  :enthralled:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal