collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hot Topic finds: Not sure how to feel  (Read 7615 times)

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Topic finds: Not sure how to feel
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
I don't get why people are proud to be a brony either. I like a lot of cartoons, but don't feel especially proud. I'm not doing anything. It just seems like these days, people on the internet expect praise for existing.

Personally, I think that men especially are proud to be bronies because the brony movement is starting to indicate some change in society. Men are normally treated as if they're weak or sappy if they like something pink and girly. Then My Little Pony came along, and hey! Now it's okay to be a guy and like a girl's show! In fact, it might even be cool!

I know not everyone subscribes to that idea though. There are still a lot of people who think that bronies are 'gay', or 'girly men', or whatever. But I think that some people are starting to see that since it's okay for girls to like things "for boys", it should be okay for boys to like things "for girls".

Just my two cents, I suppose. :)
All of that is nice but i don't like how these days it doesn't really seem to be about "guys liking things aimed at girls".
These days it seems more about "how will we make people believe that watching FIM/MLP is totally manly and bad-ass".

I agree.  Based on the trend I'm seeing (or think I'm seeing), when brony first came about it was now it's public for guys to like mlp now it's like brony is the way of life where mlp is concerned.  Sorry if I'm taking anything the wrong way, I don't mean to.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
I wish the UK would stock these as I'm not overly fond of the 'womenswear' pony shirts from Primark. I love the G1 ponies on them, but the one I have is spoilt by the 'Daddy I want a pony' thing that they seem so fond of using.

I'd much prefer menswear honestly, and I'm tempted to put in an order with them. Anyone ordered from the UK?

Also, what exactly is the 'free gift'?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Chance

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
Well, I certainly don't think highly of anyone who thinks gay is bad!

Not that liking a pony show alters anyone's sexuality.

But I still think there is a lot of self-importance these days. I've seen people think they're good for liking certain things, but they are still cruel to others.

I completely agree with you. I despise it when people use 'gay' as an insult, and there are quite a number of self-important people in the world, both in and out of the MLP fandom.

All of that is nice but i don't like how these days it doesn't really seem to be about "guys liking things aimed at girls".
These days it seems more about "how will we make people believe that watching FIM/MLP is totally manly and bad-ass".

The way I see it, Hasbro knows that a lot of guys like MLP nowadays. However, I think that they also know that even if they like MLP, they won't necessarily buy MLP related merchandise if it's bright pink or pastel colored. So they market tons of black or neutral colored shirts and wallets and belts and whatnot, in order to lure in those people who wouldn't otherwise buy MLP related merchandise. In other words, marketing. ^^;

I do agree that it's a bit weird when people try and say watching MLP is "manly". I just think it's fun to do and that it has nothing to do with gender!  :P

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2012, 04:21:58 PM »
Again as OL1 has already said - lets keep this on the topic of FiM merchandise and not our opinions of other collectors no matter what we each call ourselves.

I think its important to remember that none of the products we are talking about are technically Hasbro items - they are merchandised and therefore licensed to third parties. Out with HB control [subject to a contract] but not outside there sphere if that makes sense. So in many ways I hope HB have catered to this large unexpected market through adult merch aimed, yes in the main, at men. If this means the toys can continue to be aimed at little girls then that works for me.

Whichever way we each lean in liking or not liking, it is all about making the $$$. Buying a license for a line like MLP is not cheap, a licensee needs to find a way to make their money back and more and do so quickly - especially for something like this. I am not saying its a fad but marketing companies are always wary of the potential short life expectancy of anything which bursts from nothing to something so big, so quickly. So yes the goal will be to shift as much product as possible as quickly as possible when the concept is at its peak.

I am sure over the future years of G4, there will be more and more licensees and products so personal I will hope for a more broad reaching spectrum targeting guys and gals, old collectors and new collectors, adults and kids.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:23:35 PM by hathorcat »
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2012, 04:25:19 PM »
I was just in Hot Topic on Sat. I went in to pick up the Fluttershy "Yay!" shirt I'd been wanting. I looked at the :muffin: Pony figure several times. But the quality was just so bad I couldn't bring myself to pay even the sale price. They didn't have the underwear. I wish they did. I would've bought them! I've been wishing for some G4 undies. My G3 ones are just about shot. *wanders off to check Ebay*

sailorstitch

DirePony

« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2012, 04:47:49 PM »
I wish the UK would stock these as I'm not overly fond of the 'womenswear' pony shirts from Primark. I love the G1 ponies on them, but the one I have is spoilt by the 'Daddy I want a pony' thing that they seem so fond of using.

I'd much prefer menswear honestly, and I'm tempted to put in an order with them. Anyone ordered from the UK?

The free gift is a Papercraft which is basically a card stock backdrop with characters that you can display with it. There is a Grand Galloping Gala set, The Mane 6 vs Nightmare Moon and a Cloudsdale set. I think the Cloudsdale set is what they are giving out now. There are pictures in this thread that I started.

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,313861.0.html

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »

The free gift is a Papercraft which is basically a card stock backdrop with characters that you can display with it. There is a Grand Galloping Gala set, The Mane 6 vs Nightmare Moon and a Cloudsdale set. I think the Cloudsdale set is what they are giving out now. There are pictures in this thread that I started.

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,313861.0.html
Thank you! :)

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

BerryPunch

« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
The only pony shirts I have I got from Hot Topic, I wish I had more though. I have the :muffin: Pony is Best Pony one with :muffin: Pony in her bag costume, and the error shirt with the weird coloring. When I went to Hot Topic like 3 weeks ago and saw it I squealed.  :dribble:

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2012, 06:35:59 PM »
The only pony shirts I have I got from Hot Topic, I wish I had more though. I have the :muffin: Pony is Best Pony one with :muffin: Pony in her bag costume, and the error shirt with the weird coloring. When I went to Hot Topic like 3 weeks ago and saw it I squealed.  :dribble:
I think is a license deal that someone is totally getting their worth for, maybe a company will do the same and cater to women only,maybe the next Victoria Secrets or A ''purse designer will get a run for it and exploit it just like Hot topic/welovefine is doing it.
:) wait for it............! it is coming for sure, coach,LV purses with MLP!!! 
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
'brony' is a gender neutral term for me. I, personally, have been shown nothing but respect from bronies. I am aware that there are some bad apples, but that can be said for every fandom. Even our collector base has its share.
I only have one real concern. I hope hasbro never forgets who they are really catering to
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »

Hasbro threw us a bone once and a while--the 25th anniversary sets (even though they were pretty flawed, they were appreciated) the "art" ponies, etc.

But now, the male dominated fanbase, which isn't even all that big mind you, gets an entire clothing line? Wallets? Belts? Plush? Backpacks? Socks? Show characters they want either in BB or brushable form? Vinyl collector editions? A comic book?

This surely didn't happen with a female fanbase.

I agree with this. When they say 'it's a man's world', it really holds a lot of truth. Things only take off  if it has a large male fanbase. When ponies were 'for girls only', we hardly got anything. But all the merchandise that says brony on it makes me feel that, as a female, I am being alienated by something I've loved for so long. It might seem ridiculous to some of you and maybe it is, but I cannot seem to help but feel this way.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Pinecone

« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2012, 11:33:44 AM »
I don't accept "brony" as gender-neutral and don't think people should call others it unless they're okay with it.

I agree with the catering aspect--it's first and foremost a kids' show, and will always belong to kids.

Offline Pony Adventures

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • IRL Pony Adventures
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2012, 11:46:56 AM »
I wasn't saying they should own the fandom, I just meant that women should be a bit more willing to share.

Why? Pretty much everything else in the world is aimed at white men, why should we be more willing to share one of the very, very few things that has been  actually aimed at and created for women? I don't have a problem with guys liking the show, I think that's great. But they shouldn't suddenly completely change the target demographic just because some men like it now. If the male fans actually like the show and franchise for what it is, then they try and change it to cater more towards them.

I totally agree with this. White straight cis males like to be included in everything. And that is not necessarily a bad thing. However, they often exclude others so it can be very frustrating and it leaves people without their own "spaces". Not to mention, bronies, as opposed to collectors, are the people more likely to pirate the show as a generalization. That probably doesn't cost Hasbro all that much though.

Also I think it is important to note that marketing is a very different beast than it has been in the past. With the ubiquitous nature of the internet, market research and customer opinions can be gathered and analyzed rather quickly. So merchandise can be developed,  targeted, and shelved all very speedily. With that said, as others have pointed out, the white male demographic is highly sought after because it has the most spending power.

Still, as hathorcat said, these being just licensed products gives me great hope for actual Hasbro products. If the brony fandom can get this bone and be pacified, perhaps something good is in store for little girls and boys and collectors. I am crossing my fingers for a whole new heap of brushables!

As for Hottopic. I hate how loud the music always is in there.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:01:04 PM by Pony Adventures »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »
Most of the companies who make the licensed merch were already companies that catered to males. They saw MLP was popular with their customer base and sought out the license from Hasbro. Hasbro wants to make money so of course they gave them the license. Meanwhile the companies that cater to women seem to be too busy pushing "sexy" to bother with anything too cute.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
I wasn't saying they should own the fandom, I just meant that women should be a bit more willing to share.

Why? Pretty much everything else in the world is aimed at white men, why should we be more willing to share one of the very, very few things that has been  actually aimed at and created for women? I don't have a problem with guys liking the show, I think that's great. But they shouldn't suddenly completely change the target demographic just because some men like it now. If the male fans actually like the show and franchise for what it is, then they try and change it to cater more towards them.

I think Hasbro should just try to consider all their fans of every generation and not stick to just the bronies.
As it's been stated, though, Hasbro aren't the ones making this merch. It's licensed by outside companies. The heart of the pony line is still the toys, regardless of what merch is coming out right now. I think it's cool to see all of this different stuff coming out right now, and I can honestly thank the bronies for most of it. Loving the shirts, accessories, and other stuff HT has. Yes, I know not everyone agrees, but I like it. No one's changing the target demographic. It still is, and always will be, the little girls who love pastel colored ponies. But I see nothing wrong with branching out to other demographics as well.

And as far as it being a "man's world," I think the street goes both ways, so to speak. Women complain about not being allowed into men's fandoms and the like, but then get up in arms when men want to join a women's fandom. They aren't trying to take over. I've seen bronies wanting more show-accurate stuff, but never once have I seen one demand that Hasbro cater only to men. There's quite a few women that identify as bronies, don't forget. A good chunk of them even admit to liking the brushables. The day that the genders really become equal is the day where we stop labeling things as "for men" or "for women."

One of the things I love about FiM is how it's breaking down those gender barriers. Most bronies, to me at least, don't seem to be on a crusade to make the show more "manly." They seem to enjoy it for exactly what it is, a show for girls. I like how all of the toys and merch are blending the demographics together. Becuase, again, why should something be for boys or girls?

But I've said my piece, and that's that. Don't want to get into fights with anyone  ^.^
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:28:40 PM by Mosspath »
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal