collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hot Topic finds: Not sure how to feel  (Read 7606 times)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Topic finds: Not sure how to feel
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
I found this at Target for $10 in the Men's Section. I bought it of course! <3

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I sent that shirt to the lovely SummerBlade for the Army swap!  It's a great shirt:)

It really is! It's not too guy-ish and it doesn't have the word "brony" on it. Plus it has Glory! How could I resist? lol
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Pinecone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2012, 12:24:56 PM »
I guess it depends on how bronies treated you. They were pretty cruel to me, mostly because I don't like the name ":muffin: Pony" or shipping Spike with Rarity, so my perception is not exactly generous.

I don't get why people are proud to be a brony either. I like a lot of cartoons, but don't feel especially proud. I'm not doing anything. It just seems like these days, people on the internet expect praise for existing.

I hope Hasbro realizes that there are non-brony fans out there perfectly willing to throw money at them. Has anyone considered writing to Funko and requesting a Minty?

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I don't think a lot of people understand why brony is such a bad term, and bronies in general is a bad thing.

There's been mainly female collectors (and children playing with the toys of course) for a very long time in ponydom. There were scant few males.

Hasbro threw us a bone once and a while--the 25th anniversary sets (even though they were pretty flawed, they were appreciated) the "art" ponies, etc.

But now, the male dominated fanbase, which isn't even all that big mind you, gets an entire clothing line? Wallets? Belts? Plush? Backpacks? Socks? Show characters they want either in BB or brushable form? Vinyl collector editions? A comic book?

This surely didn't happen with a female fanbase.

You can't blame bronies for hasbro's choice in marketing though.  I understand why people would be upset that mlp fans (before bronies) didn't get that kind of merchandise and it bothers me too but there's not much we can do about it sadly.  I would like to know what hasbro is doing now to appeal to the collector's now though.  They did art ponies, anniversary type stuff and comic con ponies (which they still do).  But hasbro hasn't really shown their appreciation for collector's.  It seems all their focus now is the brony era.

Post Merge: November 12, 2012, 12:32:27 PM

I sent that shirt to the lovely SummerBlade for the Army swap!  It's a great shirt:)

It really is! It's not too guy-ish and it doesn't have the word "brony" on it. Plus it has Glory! How could I resist? lol

I like that shirt too.  It's good for people like me who are overweight, because since it's in the men's section I can wear it.  However, I wish it had color to it, but I guess if it had color it would be a women's shirt in their eyes.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 12:32:27 PM by Majesty »

Chance

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »
I don't get why people are proud to be a brony either. I like a lot of cartoons, but don't feel especially proud. I'm not doing anything. It just seems like these days, people on the internet expect praise for existing.

Personally, I think that men especially are proud to be bronies because the brony movement is starting to indicate some change in society. Men are normally treated as if they're weak or sappy if they like something pink and girly. Then My Little Pony came along, and hey! Now it's okay to be a guy and like a girl's show! In fact, it might even be cool!

I know not everyone subscribes to that idea though. There are still a lot of people who think that bronies are 'gay', or 'girly men', or whatever. But I think that some people are starting to see that since it's okay for girls to like things "for boys", it should be okay for boys to like things "for girls".

Just my two cents, I suppose. :)

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
I agree with HollowZero. I hope that Hasbro doesn't cater TOO much to Bronies - most Bronies I've met hate the brushable ponies, and only want all-molded manes, such as the Funko vinyl toys, or the blind-bag toys. And that, to me, is just killing the original charm of the series - the brushy-brush hair. :( Most Bronies just don't get the original charm of the line; they want ponies for what they want them to be, not for what they are.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2012, 01:01:25 PM »

Personally, I think that men especially are proud to be bronies because the brony movement is starting to indicate some change in society. Men are normally treated as if they're weak or sappy if they like something pink and girly. Then My Little Pony came along, and hey! Now it's okay to be a guy and like a girl's show! In fact, it might even be cool!

I know not everyone subscribes to that idea though. There are still a lot of people who think that bronies are 'gay', or 'girly men', or whatever. But I think that some people are starting to see that since it's okay for girls to like things "for boys", it should be okay for boys to like things "for girls".

I am a girl into gaming.  I like grand theft auto games, metal gear solid games, and tomb raider games.  I have some action figures for metal gear solid and tomb raider in my room.  If I tell some guys I play those games they are shocked but don't really act like I'm invading their territory (as in playing video games are for guys).

What I don't like is when you search mlp sometimes on youtube and people have made inappropriate art and stuff for mlp, mostly using G4 style art.

Post Merge: November 12, 2012, 01:02:58 PM

I agree with HollowZero. I hope that Hasbro doesn't cater TOO much to Bronies - most Bronies I've met hate the brushable ponies, and only want all-molded manes, such as the Funko vinyl toys, or the blind-bag toys. And that, to me, is just killing the original charm of the series - the brushy-brush hair. :( Most Bronies just don't get the original charm of the line; they want ponies for what they want them to be, not for what they are.

That's a good point too.  Also, I think some bronies just like G4 because of the art style.  Some fans of G4's are also into anime so I think it's an animation thing for some people.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:02:58 PM by Majesty »

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2012, 01:03:26 PM »

I just bought that this weekend!  I'm considering adding some glitter fabric paint to it...
I'm glad it just says "Ponies" and not "Bronies".  I have the HT Brony Rainbow Dash shirt (it was a gift), but I just identify as a fan of ponies.  If someone sees me cosplaying a MLP character and says "Hey, you're a brony!" I won't deny it, but that's not typically how I identify myself.
I just like the fact that there is merch for adults!  I have often had to buy shirts in the kids' department if I wanted to express my fandom (for things like Pokemon, for example). 

Pinecone

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »

Well, I certainly don't think highly of anyone who thinks gay is bad!

Not that liking a pony show alters anyone's sexuality.

But I still think there is a lot of self-importance these days. I've seen people think they're good for liking certain things, but they are still cruel to others.

BerryPunch

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »
I actually love the "brony" label on a lot of the new items. It definitely makes me proud of the fanbase. I overspent a bit last time I was in Hot Topic on pony stuff, but I don't regret it! Yeah, a lot of people have gripes about both bronies and the Hot Topic brand, and they're entitled. Me, I'm just enjoying the sweet sweet swag. Especially the vinyl :muffin: Pony and the socks. Well played, Hasbro.

I don't know... I like the term "brony" as an all inclusive term, and I think that's how many see it. I know the word itself denotes masculine tones, but I actually prefer one title for the whole group. I've said it before, but I happily call myself a brony.
Hoo boy, I hope this stays peaceful... I've got my eyeroll moments with my fellow bronies now and then, but I freaking love the fandom in general. A good show is a good show, and I really see nothing in FiM that screams "for girls" unless one subscribes to traditional gender roles, which in itself is rather alienating to one who grew up playing with both Barbies and Ninja Turtles.

:happy: < THESE )  :frolic:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:10:44 PM by BerryPunch »

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
I love Brony. I love the word - but I've got a ridiculous collection of ALL generations, mainly G1s, and I don't diss on any gens (except maybe the G3.5s... some of them scare me) - Regardless, I wear the Brony arm band from HT, I have the RD Brony shirt - and I've been walking around campus and gotten many "Hey nice shirt!" with that one. All of my friends would probably say 'Brony' and I think to the 'outside world' it's easier for people to just say Brony because it's all over the internet and stores and television shows... it's like having a name for people who collect stamps or coins (for those people), so maybe HT and Hasbro as just trying to cash in on both facets? Pony collectors and people who really want to define 'Brony' as something specific? As long as they make money, right? ...they probably don't even know of all the deeper meanings/associations that people have for 'Brony', lol

I've got to get back to HT - I'm actually more not a fan of the shirts that say stuff on them at all, I wish they had more things with just ponies on them and no words, though I do like the RD inspired 20% cooler stuff. ^_^
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »

I just bought that this weekend!  I'm considering adding some glitter fabric paint to it...
I'm glad it just says "Ponies" and not "Bronies".  I have the HT Brony Rainbow Dash shirt (it was a gift), but I just identify as a fan of ponies.  If someone sees me cosplaying a MLP character and says "Hey, you're a brony!" I won't deny it, but that's not typically how I identify myself.
I just like the fact that there is merch for adults!  I have often had to buy shirts in the kids' department if I wanted to express my fandom (for things like Pokemon, for example). 

Yeah I agree about there being merchandise for adults.  It seems not too long ago we were complaining about the lack of pony shirts for adults or clothing for adults.

BerryPunch

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
The only type of pony I dislike is 3.5 but the only reason is that the faces of them... kinda scare me   :lookround: Lol, their whole bodies don't seem pony-ish. I saw someone said they resemble turtles... I kinda agree. But I have no problem with them, and I understand that the cartoons were made for way younger kids in mind, but I have to admit, the newborn cuties show is so bad it's good. I had lots of laughs watching it.  :biggrin: I support the word Brony. It's way easier and funner to say than Pegasister.  >_< I like a universal term.

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2012, 01:55:56 PM »
I wasn't saying they should own the fandom, I just meant that women should be a bit more willing to share.

Why? Pretty much everything else in the world is aimed at white men, why should we be more willing to share one of the very, very few things that has been  actually aimed at and created for women? I don't have a problem with guys liking the show, I think that's great. But they shouldn't suddenly completely change the target demographic just because some men like it now. If the male fans actually like the show and franchise for what it is, then they try and change it to cater more towards them.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »
I wasn't saying they should own the fandom, I just meant that women should be a bit more willing to share.

Why? Pretty much everything else in the world is aimed at white men, why should we be more willing to share one of the very, very few things that has been  actually aimed at and created for women? I don't have a problem with guys liking the show, I think that's great. But they shouldn't suddenly completely change the target demographic just because some men like it now. If the male fans actually like the show and franchise for what it is, then they try and change it to cater more towards them.

I think Hasbro should just try to consider all their fans of every generation and not stick to just the bronies. 

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »

All of that is nice but i don't like how these days it doesn't really seem to be about "guys liking things aimed at girls".
These days it seems more about "how will we make people believe that watching FIM/MLP is totally manly and bad-ass".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal