collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Offer more and more to get a pony that is not for sale ??!!  (Read 5150 times)

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Offer more and more to get a pony that is not for sale ??!!
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2012, 06:14:31 AM »
Kelly, i understand your point and did think about it too. People feel differently and there are so many different cultures here.  :) Im glad everything cleared up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you valerie :heart:

Offline Goldilocks

• Romance Pony
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »
This has happened to me several times I have posted pics of something unusual from my collection.

I wouldn't mind asking nicely if something was available for sale, like people have commented in this topic previously too. But some of the messages I have gotten have seemed a bit unkind, for example just "how much for this pony", and nothing else at all in the message. I feel it wouldn't be nice to send a message like that to someone even if the pony in question was listed in a sales topic.

Oh and I remember when I joined this forum, I posted an ID topic for my childhood Greek Birthday pony. And before she was even identified, a Nirvana collector sent me a message where they asked if I would sell my birthday pony for $400. And she was definitely worth lots more than that in 2005.
wanted G1 WEDDING/LOVE pony accessories and merchandise, ARGIE GREEN TRULY, ARGIE PEARLY-PAINTED NOVIA:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299645.0.html
trades:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299649.msg252302.html#msg252302

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 05:43:29 AM »
I must say this topic really caught my attention and I read every post :P

Firstly I'm very happy to hear that the issue that was the trigger for this post has been resolved. And after reading that it was 2 times with a couple of months appart, that the member didn't realize he/she was making the OP uncomfortable and that he/she appologized as soon as he/she realized it wasn't ok I don't think there's any need to be too harsh on this member.
I do completely agree with Kellypony in what she wrote :)

Meanwhile I am abit surprised, I must admit. Back when I was last active in the pony community  (over 5 years ago) I only posted a few pictures of ponies I recently got in brag threads, but never my entire collection. Since I got back I have only posted a couple of pictures of very few ponies from my herd for different reasons, but again, never my entire collection. And it's most likely the reason noone has ever contacted me about anything and asked me to sell it even if it wasn't for sale.
So to hear that these things are going on is abit of a shock. (Not referring to the OP's situation, but from the other replys and how bad it can become).
I've SO been looking forward to share pictures of my entire collection and my new pony room once it's done, but now I must admit I'm abit hesitant.

Allthought I personaly wouldn't be offended if someone contacted me about a pony and asked if I was willing to part with it. I would most likely be flattered that one of my precious little ponies caused some attention, but I wouldn't be offended.
However, to continue messaging and even getting friends to message and try and make you sell it - like in the instance with Hamsteh's mothers doll on Flickr would piss me off and that is nothing short of harassing.

But I can see how it's a cultural thing. For instance here in Scandinavia we have fixed prices on everything and there is no way, no how anyone can ever haggle the prices (noone born n raised here would ever try). Meanwhile, there are countries where it's what you are expected to do no matter what. (I work in a jewellry store and it has happend that a few people who are here on vacation come in and try to haggle the prices which I can't change even if my life depended on it as it's determind by our managers and if we were to alter it we would get in sooo much trouble).
Sorry for rambling, but the point is it's very likely to be a cultural thing on what is allright and what isn't when it comes to buisiness transactions and items. But no matter what culture there's always a certin line when it becomes harassing either way.

Personaly it would never even cross my mind to write to someone and ask them to sell a pony to me that is from their own collection O.o Not even if it's my most holy of grails and whatnot, it's just not something I would even consider as I always assume that pony is very loved by its owner and since he/she isnt selling it it's obviously not for sale.
But I don't see it as something wrong either to write to a person and say like: "Just a heads up, if you ever decide to sell X pony please think of me as it is one of my grails :)"
The only time I can see it being wrong is if you see a member posting in the Brag thread how they just got their grail and you write and ask them. How does it even make sense that a person writing and braging about obtaining their grail would be interested in selling it? XD

So sorry for the long post, I'm just surprised and all sorts at what's actually going on in the world and as always I have very strong opinions XD
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:47:40 AM by Desert Rose »
~*Erica*~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 07:48:05 AM »
Sorry but I find it hard to believe that this would be such a huge problem on the arena.

It's easy to say it happened to you when you don't tell who it was or which pony it was about. So I call bull.. eh, bandwagon. ;)
I have never contacted anyone like that and I have never had it happen to me either. (and I have posted pictures of rare ponies)
And as it turns out, from LG's comment, the "harassment" that sparked this post in the first place was apparently two messages sent a couple of months apart.

At times like this I feel very blessed because the ponies in my collection I value the most are non rare non expensive ones...
-

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal