collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advise for fixing a mistake, please?  (Read 432 times)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Advise for fixing a mistake, please?
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »
Okay, I put all this effort into a pony that I just finished rehairing, and glued the plugs so I could put the head back on and add the finishing touches.

And the head goes on fine, but there's neck ring showing! A lot of it! Like, a shelf of neck ring even!

And I look and get the head facing the right way and then it hit me - I used a Sunny Daze II body and grabbed a Sunny Daze V head by accident!  :cloud:

I custom-blended the body paint for this pony - and don't have enough to repaint another body. I could potentially repaint another head, but I don't have enough of the main mane color anymore. Plus, I added deedly boppers to her head - and I know I don't have the same materials for replacing those!

:yikes:

I was thinking of wrapping her hair up and putting a ring of apoxie sculpt around her neck to blend the two together; pretty sure I have enough of the body color to paint it to match. But, will Apoxie Sculpt stick to something that's already been sealed? Or, am I sunk? :(

Customs-wise, this is like, the greatest of moments shattered by the worse of moments. Bah! I'm gonna watch an ep of FMA and go to bed.  :sad:

Edit: Okay, I stand corrected, looking at the images on Strawberry Reef, it might not be a Sunny Daze head at all; the head looks like the one to Pinkie Pie's walking shy pose, but it's white. Not sure whose head this is now. :huh: Regardless, makes a point for keeping heads and bodies together.  :blink:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:48:56 PM by Kazzellin »
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline MoonHawke

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Gaming is Magic
    • View Profile
Re: Advise for fixing a mistake, please?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »
Oh dear!

You should be ok using apoxie sculpt, but wait for a few more responses.

My first g3 custom i ended up cutting the plug completely off after fighting to get her head removed. It was not a clean cut and i had some gaps, so i took a small strip of apoxie sculpt and worked it over her neck to seal the gaps. It stuck fine even though she had alread been sealed with dullcote.
Wishlist: Cherry Blossom :heart: Fairy Dust

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:29:15 PM »
maybe sanding down part of where you're going to need to attach the apoxie sculpt?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:00:17 PM »
What about a ribbon choker? If the lip is too big, apoxie it then add the ribbon choker?

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 02:13:42 AM »
Would it help to cut the neck ring off and glue the head on? Or will the two parts still not match? 

Apoxie should stick to sealed parts with no problems, at least no more than using it straight on a prepped bait. And I second Maniah, maybe add a ribbon choker or something to hide the seam. I had to resort to that with one swap pony, I tried to glue the gap but the glue would show and it just looked ugly and messy overall. 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 12:31:15 PM »
If you do need to resort to making a new head, do you rehair with long manes?  If so, you could salvage the plugs by cutting them one at a time as close to the head as possible, knotting them at the end and sealing the knot with a dab of clear nail polish.  You'd have to do the needle and thread method of rehairing this way, but I've managed to save hair from ponies this way in the past.

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »
Thank you for the advice, everypony! I shall try the Apoxie sculptor when I get home.

I totally forgot about doing a ribbon choker. Silly of me, since I've put them on other customs before.

I think I'll save cutting the hair of as a last resort, though. Mainly because I don't think I have a needle long enough for that method or rehairing a pony.  ;)

Thanks again! ^__^
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal