collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can we fix it?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline specialk070581

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Can we fix it?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 03:14:53 AM »
Bleach bath!

Looks like her head and body might be a different colour underneath - poor girl. Hope you have some luck with the clean up :)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 05:20:07 AM »
Looks like just dirt to me...just wash her with soap and water first, gently scrubbing (I use an old toothbrush), and see what comes off, then see if you need anything else. A short sunfading would get rid of any mildew stains that are left behind. I do this with every pony I get; most dirt does in fact come off if you just wash it.

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »
Oh dear, poor Windy!  I've seen plenty of interior mold on ponies, but that takes the cake. :(

I usually default to Dawn dish soap, then Oxiclean if it's still hanging around.  I've had good luck with that so far.  I read that Dawn specifically has antimicrobial properties, it might be worth giving her a good preliminary scrub with that.  I'm curious to see what your Windy looks like... inside... yeek! :blink:

Zombies and beheadings and fine crops of mould... my, we're in a Hallowe'eny mood! :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
I am from New Zealand so I have no idea what Dawn dish soap is.  If you could tell me its active ingredient, I may be able to find a similar product here.  I will endeavour to add photos of her insides later!  :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
I agree with the first step of a serious scrub with soap - that will give you a starting point to see what is surface and what is more serious!

Good luck - cant wait to see the results.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »
I am from New Zealand so I have no idea what Dawn dish soap is.  If you could tell me its active ingredient, I may be able to find a similar product here.  I will endeavour to add photos of her insides later!  :)

Oh, sorry 'bout that... I poked around a bit, and it looks like Fairy washing-up liquid might be the UK/Australian version of Dawn.  I'm no expert on European soap, though, so if anypony else would like to propose a brand, please do. ^.^

I'll keep my hooves crossed that her insides look better than her outsides!  Usually it's the inverse, but hopefully you'll luck out.

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 04:49:18 PM »

Lucky for me, I like cleaning ponies!  Except for pindot, nobody could possibly enjoy cleaning that.

I wonder if I could develop some kind of pony crane to hold her bum out of the water while she soaks.  *ponders*

This is too funny!!!  I do hope you're able to get Windy nice and sparkly again (she's one of my fave G1s, so it's sad to see her in such a state), but thanks for the laugh all the same.  ^.^

Post Merge: October 16, 2012, 04:51:23 PM

Oh, sorry 'bout that... I poked around a bit, and it looks like Fairy washing-up liquid might be the UK/Australian version of Dawn.  I'm no expert on European soap, though, so if anypony else would like to propose a brand, please do. ^.^

I'll keep my hooves crossed that her insides look better than her outsides!  Usually it's the inverse, but hopefully you'll luck out.

Sugar, thanks for the tip!  A friend of mine on Etsy also recommended using Dawn for pony cleaning, but they don't sell it in the UK, so it's good to know that Fairy might be a good substitute. :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:51:23 PM by lochnessmomster »

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »

Thanks for looking, what I'm wondering is that, is it just regular dishwashing liquid or is there something different about it?  Why do you use that brand in particular?  Assuming you meant dishwashing liquid and not actual soap?

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
Thanks for looking, what I'm wondering is that, is it just regular dishwashing liquid or is there something different about it?  Why do you use that brand in particular?  Assuming you meant dishwashing liquid and not actual soap?

It's just regular dishwashing liquid, but it's renowned for having not only antibacterial but also antimicrobial properties (quoth the experts).  That's what makes it great for helping to get rid of moulds and also dirt.  It's also aces at getting rid of sticky plasticizer residue.  My Chief was just gooey inside, and a good scrubout with Dawn sorted him right quick.  I've tried some other soaps but none have worked quite so well, so I just keep coming back to Dawn. ^.^  Wish I knew what exactly is in it that makes it so good for ponies (and as familial experience attests, fantastic for getting rid of urushiol - the oily stuff that makes poison ivy so itchy, and is notoriously difficult to remove from skin).  Maybe I'm better off not knowing? :whistle:

From what I can glean online, it seems that Fairy's the non-North American equivalent, though I just can't vouch for the antimicrobial claim.  (Their bottles are exactly the same now, for what that's worth... hope the recipes are, too! :lol:)

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 03:53:13 PM »
I cleaned one up that looked just like this this week.   I was almost just going to chuck it, but it was one I didn't have already, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  And it came out looking almost brand new.

What I did was, hot water, and toothbrush with tooth paste (an oxiclean bath would be great too, but I didn't have any).  I used shampoo on her hair and scrubbed her with the toothbrush and toothpaste.  Then I rinsed her off put conditioner in her hair, combed it smooth and went over her with a magic eraser.  It was the bit that did the best job.  It took all those gross marks off the outside of her.  Then I set her to dry for a day.  The next day I rinsed the conditioner out of her hair and combed and styled it and left her to dry again. 

I honstly wish I'd taken before and after photos the transformation was that drastic. 

If yours looks like it may have mold inside, take her head off (if its tight use boiling water to soften it and it should peel off).  Then fill her with baking soda and vinegar.  Soak her in oxiclean and finally use the toothbush to get the stubborn bits out.

Offline mayanbutterfly

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+146)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mayanbutterfly's Custom My Little Ponies and More!
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 05:21:18 PM »
If you soak her in diluted bleach that would probably get rid of all that stuff.  However, I don't like to use bleach anymore because I'm allergic to it.  If she were my pony i would scrub her with a tooth brush in warm/ hot water with soap and then boil her with her head removed. But you have to be careful of sparkley symbols when you boil ponies- and let her dry for at least 2 weeks with her head off.

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
Thanks sugar, you are so sweet to look that up for me. We don't have Fairy here but I'm sure we have some kind of antibacterial dishwashing liquid.

I have taken her head off and believe it or not, she is clean as a whistle inside! Sadly her head and body are very different colours, but it's not the end of the world. I am glad I was able to rescue her. Endocat is going to give me a hand to clean her this weekend.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 10:10:40 PM »
Poor girl. Whatever you do I bet she comes out more white than purple. I look forward to after pics.

Offline Endocat

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »
Thanks sugar, you are so sweet to look that up for me. We don't have Fairy here but I'm sure we have some kind of antibacterial dishwashing liquid.

I have taken her head off and believe it or not, she is clean as a whistle inside! Sadly her head and body are very different colours, but it's not the end of the world. I am glad I was able to rescue her. Endocat is going to give me a hand to clean her this weekend.

LOL *rolls sleeves up*  yup she can come here for a pony clean ;)
Most Wanted: retro release Starshine

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:49 PM »

Its a good sign she is cleaned inside! That suggests she is not as far gone as she actually looks! Cant wait to see the pictures.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal