collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Do you read the little journals?  (Read 690 times)

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
Re: Do you read the little journals?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »
i had spectra's book sitting here on my desk but never read it thinking it'd be boring and about her being all shy and stuff, but oh my gosh!!!! i think i kind of dislike her a little now after reading that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
I keep all 3 MH universes seperate, the webisode world, the doll/journal world and the book world.

-In the webisodes she's shy, pleasant, nice and my favorite.
-While in the doll/journal world, she's kinda "full of herself" and think she knows everything and thinks she's always right and seems kinda tenacious, also my favorite, in an evil kinda way.
-In the book...never read them yet. >,<
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »
I didn't know that SDCC Frankie had a different diary than Signature Frankie. So, I went and looked it up, as well as read HooDude's Diary. He is so right.... this is going to be a bad year for Cleo....

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
i do read them lol i just got nefera though xD gosh it took me like ages to read it her handwriting is so hard lol
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 12:50:31 AM »
I've read all the journals I've gotten with my dolls. I like them for the most part. I don't watch the webisodes or movies, so I enjoy reading the diaries to get little insights into the monster world. I like how they have their own lingo (eg 'scary cute') and stuff.

That being said, I feel like Hoodude comes across as a bit of a loser in his diary, while Spectra comes across as not very nice in *everyone's* diaries, including her own. That and her tacky ball-and-chain motif were the main reasons I held off on getting a Spectra doll for a long time. I finally caved a fees weeks ago, though.

Some of the international characters' 'voices' can be a bit much, too. Scarah's diary has got way too many stereotypical Irish-isms in it. I doubt even country bumpkin Irishmen talk like that these days. And being familiar with real Aussies, I can tell that Lagoona's voice is more how some American thinks Aussies talk rather than how they actually talk.

But all that being as it is, I do enjoy reading them, and I keep them all along with the other stuff.

AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2012, 02:11:14 AM »
I've only gotten a couple so far who have come with diaries, but I like them-- it's definitely a different canon from the webisodes, but I think I prefer it. Visually I fell in love with Operetta, and wanted to pair her up with my Jackson, and my siblings both said 'But you hate mean girls, have you not seen her webisode? Oh, and Toralei is also a bad guy, heads up'. And I was like, great, my two favourite girls are mean! But in Operetta's diary, things seem to go differently and she doesn't seem to be on bad terms with anyone.

(I am still not caught up on webisodes, I confess-- I rarely think to watch them when I have the time, and I don't always have the time!)

And then I don't have a diary for Ghoulia because I fell in love with her Skull Shores version and had never bought the regular one before (silly me, thinking I wasn't going to start collecting them...).

Argentum-Zeena

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2012, 03:16:31 AM »
I love the diaries <3 I like them nearly as much as I like the dolls. They give great insight into the characters, mentioning things that probably won't be brought up in the webisodes. I really love how the diaries give the mean girls some depth, like how Toralei had a past with Cleo, and that Nefera has a major perfection complex, and giving the twins personalities PERIOD.

In case you can't tell, the diaries are my favorite canon lol.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2012, 07:46:10 AM »
Always! :D I must have at least 20 now, if not more. I buy them to go with my dolls that are missing theirs as I have gotten them second hand, I'll always replace their diary.
I got Toralei second hand on ebay in excellent, mint condition, but her diary was missing, Bewilderness happened to be having a massive MH sell-out, so I bought lots from him including her diary at the time. Also got Lagoona 1.0's diary for my MS Lagoona. :)

Offline Varkolak

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 09:42:34 AM »
i LOOOVED venus's diary, it was cute!

xXCosmicBurstXx

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 05:29:42 PM »
i LOOOVED venus's diary, it was cute!

Yes, Venus has an amazing diary. Her conversation with Operetta was so adorable. Although I hated Operetta's dialog. Her southern accent was cringe worthy. xD Most southerners do not talk like that.

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »
I snag my friend's diaries, if they get dolls I don't really want. I've got a large stack of them now.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Foxy_Ninja

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 07:08:53 AM »
I got Spectra alone so she could have her own back story nobody else has. I don't want the journal, just sig Spectra or Ghouls Alive Spectra when she comes out next year as well as Polterghoul. The story about the Castle is true for my Spectra, she's a ghost Princess, so that's why. And at school she's the way she is on the show, meek and shy but still finds out things about ghouls if there is something suspected to be bad. And yes, some of the info she knows ghouls make those ones scared of her telling others their secrets, especially ghouls like Operetta who tried to steal Deuce. She only tells what she knows of others if they are bad to help out her friends. Rhuen also creeps around to find out bad info, being a ferret and all she also helps out as some of the friends pets are her friends too so she wants to defend her friends.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:14:03 AM by Foxy_Ninja »

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 09:52:18 PM »
I eventually read all the diaries/booklets that come with, I think they're a wonderful touch. I wouldn't say they've done as much to make me like characters as the webisodes (which do it brilliantly) but they've helped. Like LuvlyMelody, I pretty much consider diaries/webisodes/books three separate continuities, because no one at Mattel can be bothered to follow established canon beyond the very broadest strokes. :whistle: Honestly it's best when I don't think too hard about it. :P I love it all anyway. (Well, I haven't read the books, they honestly kind of annoy me thus far, but I love the diaries and webisodes.)

Off the top of my head, two that I thought were particularly well-done were: Scarah's, which made me like her at least a little bit as a character, even though I still think she's the dullest doll ever. She's got spunk. And Robecca's, which was actually really sad and kind of moving. I really hope they develop her story more.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal