collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Insanely high priced ponies on Ebay  (Read 3198 times)

popyduggan

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Insanely high priced ponies on Ebay
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
     I think Amazon is more awful personally. The sellers make up a list price, cross it out and put a lower, but still scapling price beneath it.

For example, someone's list price for the favorites set is $99.99, that's crossed out and below that is $54.99, like they're saying i'm losing a lot here but you're getting a great deal! That tactic should be illegal, or at least taken down because they're flat out lying to an unwitting consumer.

Also, I find on ebay sometimes international sellers have fairer total prices on items than sellers in my own country.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 07:28:16 PM by popyduggan »

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 07:28:50 PM »
There is a doll I want listed for $1000.  She is a limited edition Rapunzel Tangled  doll which retailed for $100 and now sells for between $200 and $250 on ebay.  $1000 is crazy!   This person also has some of the other Disney dolls listed for really high insane prices.  I would be surprised to see them sell when there are others of the same doll for a fraction.   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 08:45:21 PM »
Listing a pony for auction is too risky as well...One day I sell AJ for $20 the next day I sell one for $5- makes no sense to me an discourages me from listing at "affordable" start prices. Thing this month sold for way too LOW.. or perhaps closer to market price.

Not to mention e-Bay & Paypal fees eat up most of the profit anyway. It costs me $100 to sell $800. You have to recover those costs somewhere.

Sometimes you can get good deals on e-Bay, but the current fee structure is very harsh on sellers (I hadn't realized how much time it takes to list and the aggravation of filing NPB- I filed 7 in 2 weeks). There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes, that I never appreciated it until I myself attempted to sell. Very frustrating indeed.

Some sellers can profit from it others (like myself) can not.

Melissa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 10:57:50 PM »
Because of the ridiculous prices, I've only bought two ponies on eBay: one from another collector who I have dealt with before at the TP, and the other (which ended up being a nightmare transaction) was because I was participating in a swap and the pony was on my partner's wishlist... The second transaction I deeply regret because the pony arrived in much worse shape than described. I cleaned her a lot before sending her to my partner, she was a quality I would have been happy keeping with my own collection but still...

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 12:52:20 AM »
I mostly laugh or roll my eyes at those listings; I know exactly what seller you're thinking of.  It's certainly their right to put whatever price tag they want on things, but  sob-stories as a marketing ploy really turns me off buying anything from them, even if it wasn't so out-of-the-stratosphere priced.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 05:12:21 AM »
Listing a pony for auction is too risky as well...One day I sell AJ for $20 the next day I sell one for $5- makes no sense to me an discourages me from listing at "affordable" start prices. Thing this month sold for way too LOW.. or perhaps closer to market price.

Corect me if i'm wrong, but isn't it possible on Ebay to make an auction at a higher starting bid? Like, for example, bidding starts at $20 instead of $5?

Not to mention e-Bay & Paypal fees eat up most of the profit anyway. It costs me $100 to sell $800. You have to recover those costs somewhere.

That's why i only buy with my Ebay account and never sell. Paypal eats money, so i don't need Ebay too. I just list my ponies on my personal site and they're selling pretty well without Ebay ;)

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 06:23:55 AM »

Corect me if i'm wrong, but isn't it possible on Ebay to make an auction at a higher starting bid? Like, for example, bidding starts at $20 instead of $5?

Yes, you can start the auction at whatever price you wish. I still have no luck selling... I can't even sell a NM flutter pony (no wings) with original curls & original pink hair for $5 on e-Bay... I must be doing something wrong! Most of the ponies I have sold on e-Bay never exceed their original asking price (mostly $6.49); it really frustrates me to see the same pony I am selling in worse condition sell for more than mine.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 06:54:29 AM »
so how do you find out what a reasonable price is? for seller and buyers?
i've bought a lot of ponies recently for Christmas gifts and for customs, and i have quite a few i want to sell, but all my friends say the prices are really high.
i checked around and based on the condition went 25% lower than the selling prices i've seen (unless mine looked 10x better) any other suggestions on how to fairly sell your ponies? i don't want to rip people off, but i don't want to cheat myself either. any pony i jack up because of emotional ties gets pulled off the selling block... cuz well obviously i don't want to lose it.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 07:06:23 AM »
Just because a seller lists an item with a BIN price on e-bay, does not mean that it's a reasonable price and that it will sell at that price. There are some crazy sellers out there!

I tend to check completed e-bay auctions and see what sold at what price. :) That will give you a good round about idea of what something is worth.

Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 07:07:44 AM »
i took that into consideration too, but some of the ponies only have one auction and they started at 30$....
my first thought was. 'can't be worth that much!'

Offline hokuspokus

• Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 07:08:56 AM »
Yes, you can start the auction at whatever price you wish. I still have no luck selling... I can't even sell a NM flutter pony (no wings) with original curls & original pink hair for $5 on e-Bay... I must be doing something wrong! Most of the ponies I have sold on e-Bay never exceed their original asking price (mostly $6.49); it really frustrates me to see the same pony I am selling in worse condition sell for more than mine.

I don't think you do anything wrong! I guess it's hard to stand out from the crowd; there are just so many (pony)sellers on Ebay and some are more known than others. The more known sellers will offcourse sell easier, because people know them and might have expirience dealing with them. I'm sorry to hear your ponies don't sell when you ask such reasanoble prices!

so how do you find out what a reasonable price is? for seller and buyers?
i've bought a lot of ponies recently for Christmas gifts and for customs, and i have quite a few i want to sell, but all my friends say the prices are really high.
i checked around and based on the condition went 25% lower than the selling prices i've seen (unless mine looked 10x better) any other suggestions on how to fairly sell your ponies? i don't want to rip people off, but i don't want to cheat myself either. any pony i jack up because of emotional ties gets pulled off the selling block... cuz well obviously i don't want to lose it.

I think asking for price checks (incl. pics of your ponies) is a good way to get a grip on a fair price :) Speaking for myself, i usually google on price checks and follow Ebay auctions. That's how i get my average price. If you ask price checks here, for example, people are very fair on giving you an honest opinion and facts. Good luck!

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 07:13:43 AM »
cool! would the pony corral be the best place to ask for price checks? never used this part of the forum before.

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 07:22:52 AM »
I haven't bought on ebay for a long time because prices have been so wonky. Which kind of stinks, because I thibnk that's where I am going to have to go to track down a Sweetie Swirl.

Offline hokuspokus

• Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 07:30:34 AM »
cool! would the pony corral be the best place to ask for price checks? never used this part of the forum before.

Yep :) And for Nirvana pony's you could ask in the 'Nirvana' section.

Offline HorsingAround

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 08:02:18 AM »
Ebay does seem to have quite the spectrum of prices!!!  Like others have already mentioned, those insanely high priced ponies will just sit there and not sell.  Sellers can try to sell for whatever they wish but as consumers we decide whether or not to buy.  I've also seem listings go the other way, with buyers significantly under pricing their items with the belief that they will increase with bidding wars.  Just a couple days ago I won 11 auctions from one seller (10 MIB 3G and a MIB Musical Wishes Jewelry Box) for a total of $29.18 plus the cost of actual shipping, $15.51.  I'm actually feeling VERY guilty about this because I essentially bought each one for like $2.65.  This seller took a big loss, not only will they not recover the original purchase price of the pony but they are also stuck with the ebay and paypal fees.  :( 
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Gandhi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal