collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Bright silver paint recommendations?  (Read 255 times)

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Bright silver paint recommendations?
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:40:11 AM »
So I need some silver paint, and it has to be *really* metallic and silvery. Like, chrome. Does anyone have any suggestions about a brand/colour that might work?
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Bright silver paint recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:27:35 AM »
I have had good luck with Testors Acrylic silver.. But if it is a chrome color you want, you might try checking gaming stores or hobby shops for paint designed specifically for miniatures. They tend to have a lot of armor on them, so the paints tend to come in a lot of metallic colors.

Offline Naamah

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:07:12 AM »
You can't get a completely smooth perfectly metallic finish with acrylic paint, since it's a suspension of mica fragments in the paint, but you can get good results . . . miniature paints can be really good for this; some are acrylic and some are enamel.

I really, really love DecoArt Metallics in Champagne Gold or Shimmering Silver.  Champagne Gold despite the name is actually way more silver than gold, it's just a warm silver, not a cold silver.  And it, specifically, is the brightest silver paint I have found that has not been discontinued.  I use it all the time, and I mix a little of it with other light or cold metallics like silver or steel if I feel they aren't popping enough.

There's also real foil leaf, which comes in silver, but it really, really depends on what you are going to do with it how well that would work.  I've never used it on a pony.

And there's Liquid Leaf which is pretty darn shiny, but it's not acrylic, it's xylene/toluene based, and I have literally NO idea how it would react with acrylics under it or over it, or over raw vinyl.  Also, xylene and toluene are really gross chemicals.
"I have lived my life as best I could, not knowing its purpose, but drawn forward like a moth to a distant moon; and here at last, I discover a strange truth . . . that I am only a conduit, for a message that eludes my understanding." Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »

There's also real foil leaf, which comes in silver, but it really, really depends on what you are going to do with it how well that would work.  I've never used it on a pony.

ooh. Come to think of it, I have a custom I bought that DOES seem to have foil leaf used on it and it is by far the best silver I have seen. It does look very much like chrome, but it scuffs very easily and needs to be sealed well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal