collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should I buy doubles of the new g4 brushables?  (Read 940 times)

CrimsonEtClover

• Trade Count: (0)
Should I buy doubles of the new g4 brushables?
« on: October 04, 2012, 01:49:55 AM »
My Target just restocked, and they have two of each new character (Lyra, Trixie, ect)...  I already have them, but would it be a good idea to buy them up for trades, or does pretty much everyone have access to them by now?

Thanks for your input!

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
Re: Should I buy doubles of the new g4 brushables?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:28:00 AM »
It's hard to say for sure how popular the new ponies will be. They are certainly popular now, but once they are no longer in stores who knows if the demand for them will increase or not.

At the minimum though, you could trade them at a value of what you paid in the future, I don't think they will decline in popularity/value  :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »
If you can afford it I would do it. Who knows down the road :)

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:16:31 AM »
It's up to you, I'd leave some behind for others though.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:20:07 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't bother with buying doubles. Knowing Hasbro, the same ponies would later be re-released in playsets and such. If you buy doubles, you'd probably run into problems later.

It's up to you, I'd leave some behind for others though.
+1
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

keikokukien

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:45:09 AM »
Yes and no...^^; I think everyone that wants Trixie will get her. I see her being a rerelease, definitely due to popularity. Sunny Rays might be harder to find down the road, but Cherry Berry seems to not be selling well. Lyra, yes. Absolutely buy extras of her! As a customizer, I am pleasantly pleased with her body color. I'm working on a Fizzy from a Lyra base right now. I see her being more in demand in the future than the others for popularity and because she makes an awesome pre-colored base. Sunny Rays has a somewhat unique color scheme, too, but I see her as being more of the collectable that will be harder to find, eventually. Maybe not like Lily Blossom htf, but considering she is a pegasus and seems to be harder to find already, she'll be like Dewdrop Dazzle was...Just speculation though. :) Hope this helps make your decision! I also am hesitant about doubles because others are still looking, though.

Offline GustyFox

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A Planewalker fox in human disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
Considering how much a Lily Blossom  or Blossomforth are going for these days, It may be a good idea to have extras.
But you never know for how long they will be restocking Lyra and Trixie, if they are available for too long their price may not rise. But you will still be able to trade them probably  (my folks in Brasil would definitively jump into a trade if we had anything special here to trade :P).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:20:38 AM by GustyFox »

Lovely GustyFox adoptable by MoonFlower. Thank you.

majikarte

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26:47 AM »
Canada doesn't seem to have these yet... so you might find some people here who would want them.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »
Here is something I have observed.  So many pony collectors were so excited about G3.  They bought and bought and left MIB and had so much that when G4 began they were trying to unload their G3s and were having a lot of trouble even breaking even with what they spent.  I heard many people say to me, "I regret spending this much, I regret buying this many, I can't get rid of these and I am taking losses on my investment."  I would say that with each generation that becomes a "hit" there are few that will actually be worthy of having more than one of. Its hard to say which those will be, but I would approach this generation with much the same thought about what happened with G3.  I would be careful that you are willing to spend money you may never see again...and have items you may not sell at all well later when you need money...with that in mind...my motto always is:
Buy fewer, buy better.  Can't say what to do, but I think that modern toys are a risk.  Who knows where the value will be later...

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
Lyra is a popular character and seems to be hard to find. Trixie's had two releases (the Favorites TRU set and the regular) so I would think she's less sought-after.  But I have personally not seen a Lyra anywhere!  My bff found me one at a department store but none of the local places around here have them.  Lyra may be one of those rare gals down the road... because the brony fanbase loves her (for the show), and the collectors love her (for her colors).

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
I think tula hit the nail on the head with the fact that modern toys unless some kind of exclusive or limited in numbers dont promise to hold much value. In years to come I expect G4 to be worse than G3 - mainly because of the sheer number of collectors now - when you think how many of us were buying G3, which are now in plentiful supply, and how many people are not buying G4...I shudder to think how many G4 ponies will turn up for sale in the future. I also wouldnt be surprised if we see some of these ponies again in the future - HB dont seem to be interested in now characters therefore repeats of already established seems likely.

All in as long as your plans for trade are for like for like single G4 brushables either previously released or released in the future, then it may be a good plan but if you expect them to appreciate in value or be tradeable for rarer ponies I simply wouldnt bother.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 04:27:32 PM »
Meh, I'm not going out of my way to get doubles. For a while I would do that, but it turned out to be a lot of work... at the moment anything that falls into my lap I don't need goes on the "for sale" pile, but I'm not actively acquiring for the purpose of selling/trading. But if you think you'd like to, it can't hurt!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

CrimsonEtClover

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the opinions and advise! I don't want to do it to flip on ebay, and i don't really expect them to go up in value, (wouldn't *that* be nice?) but I thought it may be good for future trades... however most of what I would want to trade for would be old, g1 stuff or other 80's toys, so it may not be the same audience I'm after.

I might pick up another Lyra and Sunny Rays, just in case. I do agree that they have unique colours that appeal to me so much, I almost wouldn't mind having extras of those two laying around! Poor Cherry, I don't even have. I just don't need ANOTHER pink pony!

Thanks again for the responses!

Offline Starly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the opinions and advise! I don't want to do it to flip on ebay, and i don't really expect them to go up in value, (wouldn't *that* be nice?) but I thought it may be good for future trades... however most of what I would want to trade for would be old, g1 stuff or other 80's toys, so it may not be the same audience I'm after.

I might pick up another Lyra and Sunny Rays, just in case. I do agree that they have unique colours that appeal to me so much, I almost wouldn't mind having extras of those two laying around! Poor Cherry, I don't even have. I just don't need ANOTHER pink pony!

Thanks again for the responses!
But she's a difefrent shade of pink than other earth ponies. D:
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 04:16:22 AM »
I'm not sure if they've turned up in the UK yet, so they might be useful for international trades?

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal