collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I enjoy a nice restore - so here's a quickie for ya's!  (Read 868 times)

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
I enjoy a nice restore - so here's a quickie for ya's!
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:31:40 AM »
Confetti before and after  :) She was sticky, had brownish discoloration all over her body, rusty symbols and dark brown pindot. She's nowhere NEAR mint, now has light brown faded pindot and faded symbols to match, but she's grown on me,  My Little Rehab Pony...
Thanks for letting me share!

BEFORE:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

AFTER:

And a defrizz project - BNG Princess Stargleamer had very dry, frizzy hair. I completely forgot to take before photos, but here she is after her spa treatment:

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
Re: I enjoy a nice restore - so here's a quickie for ya's!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 07:33:14 AM »
Beautifully done! :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »
They both look amazing but that Confetti is unbelievable!  :cuke:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Sandra

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:59:05 AM »
How'd you defrizz? I've tried the method where you dip the hair in boiling water, but it never seems to work for me. :unsure:

Offline cazz25

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 08:19:59 AM »
Wow Confetti looks great. How did you get her so white? I have a white pony with similar discolouration xx

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I enjoy a nice restore - so here\'s a quickie for ya\'s!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
How'd you defrizz? I've tried the method where you dip the hair in boiling water, but it never seems to work for me. :unsure:

I first wash the hair with Dawn dish detergent, then rinse and condition with Suave Apple conditioner, comb through and rinse with cold water....THEN...I use Cetaphil - yes, the hand lotion - and slather it on the realllly wet hair. I turn my regular iron on the low setting and I run it over the hair FIRMLY with the Cetaphil on it...once or twice until it evaporates a *little*...then I use a spray water bottle and more lotion to keep the hair really wet and slimey...then iron again. I usually can tell if the iron is too low, so I raise the heat in increments until it makes a slight "hissing" sound, but doesn't MELT the hair. Once the hair looks smooth, I rinse and wash again, then condition again. If the hair is smooth enough, I'm done and I then wrap it around a leg or foam roller to dry overnight. Longer hair takes a couple of days. The key is to keep the hair SATURATED with water and the hand lotion, run the iron over it enough to evaporate some of the water, but not all and keep wetting and slathering on lotion. You also want enough heat! I used to be really afraid of using the iron, but my curling iron got too hot, and didn't have enough temperature control. I usually start at a low temp and gradually build up the heat until I get that hissing sound...this way I know it's hot enough, I don't have to run it over the hair too many times, which can cause it to dry out, and hair doesn't melt.
One thing I noticed is that WHITE hair tends to melt quicker than darker hair. So, in my experience, the lighter the hair, the lower the temperature of the iron...
Sorry if this is so wordy, it's hard to describe a process that involves a lot of trial and error...

Post Merge: October 02, 2012, 08:34:27 AM

Wow Confetti looks great. How did you get her so white? I have a white pony with similar discolouration xx

I removed her tail and kept her head off. Then I wrapped her hair in aluminum foil, white acrylic painted over her eyes, put her head and body in a glass flower vase filled with enough Hydrogen Peroxide to cover the pony. Then I sat her out in the sun for about a week....removed the paint with rubbing alchohol (doesnt remove eye paint, just the acrylic) and wash and conditioned her hair. Couldn't do much about the symbols fading a bit. The peroxide didn't really remove the glitter, it was the initial scrubbing. I've used this method with a really yellow Glory and Moondancer and they came out bright white with barely any symbol loss....
One thing to note - Confetti has a strip of chartreuse hair that WILL bleed onto her body - you have to make sure you cover the hair well to prevent any bleeding. I use tin foil and then clear scotch tape along the edges of the hairline to secure the foil to her head. Then I paint over the tape where her hair is showing under with the white paint as well. This keeps that section of hair from fading and the tape helps prevent the color transfer.
I got the big brown bottles of peroxide at Costco....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:34:27 AM by Queen Eclipsia »

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:36:33 AM »
On that confetti did you use the Peroxide dip that people have been doing lately? I haven't tried yet but I love the results!

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
Wow I can't believe the difference on Confetti...
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »
On that confetti did you use the Peroxide dip that people have been doing lately? I haven't tried yet but I love the results!

Yup! I posted the method I used above. Basically, just cover the pony in peroxide inside a see-through glass or plastic covered vase/jar (you can cover with plastic wrap and a rubber band if you don't have a lid) and sit it in the sun for as long as it takes to get as white as you'd like. Confetti took about a week....

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:05:48 AM »

Yup! I posted the method I used above. Basically, just cover the pony in peroxide inside a see-through glass or plastic covered vase/jar (you can cover with plastic wrap and a rubber band if you don't have a lid) and sit it in the sun for as long as it takes to get as white as you'd like. Confetti took about a week....

Only a week? Must have been a sunny window, none of mine take that little amount of time!! Awesome! Do you just use store bought peroxide? Keep the pony completely submerged? I think I'm going to brave this and attempt a colored pony, I haven't seen results for them and I have some very sad baits laying around.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 09:09:54 AM »
Wow!  What a great restore!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Queen Eclipsia

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »

Only a week? Must have been a sunny window, none of mine take that little amount of time!! Awesome! Do you just use store bought peroxide? Keep the pony completely submerged? I think I'm going to brave this and attempt a colored pony, I haven't seen results for them and I have some very sad baits laying around.

I left her outside out back on my deck. Right on the ledge. I moved her throughout the day so she was in direct sunlight most of the time. Now that we're in the fall, it's been rainy most days and I haven't started on any new ponies.
Yes - I used regular, store-bought Hydrogen Peroxide in the brown bottle. I get a 2-pack of them from Costco for $1.98. I recommend trying to get them in bulk as it takes a lot of peroxide to cover the pony. Sometimes I even do 2 ponies at once.
-This method does a great job of reducing pindot stains, fading my Bowtie's pindot to almost nothing! Unfortunately, her pink hair faded as well, because I really was in a rush and didn't want to take the time to wrap her hair in foil.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
Wow Confetti looks amazing!!! Congrats...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Goldilocks

• Romance Pony
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
Confetti looks lovely  :lovey: I don't think the glitter loss is a big problem because on the other hand the body colour is nice white now.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:00:42 PM by Goldilocks »
wanted G1 WEDDING/LOVE pony accessories and merchandise, ARGIE GREEN TRULY, ARGIE PEARLY-PAINTED NOVIA:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299645.0.html
trades:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299649.msg252302.html#msg252302

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 06:08:06 PM »
Both ponies look absolutely stunning!

(H202 does absolutely amazing things. But remember certain hair colors will discolor in it...)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal