collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My OCD when it comes to MH hair is getting the best of me  (Read 907 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
My OCD when it comes to MH hair is getting the best of me
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »
In the year since I started collecting Monster High, progressively it has become more noticeable to me that so many of the dolls do not have a full head of hair. Undo the monsters' hairstyles, comb their hair in a different direction, and bam! missing plugs. For a while I was OK with it. But in the last few months it's been driving me crazy. In fact, I've sent several heads off to have additional plugs added to them. It's addicting, and I have this sickening feeling that I'm going to end up sending off half my collection to have more plugs added.

Have I gone totally bonkers?

So few of my dolls seem to be ok! Most of my Clawdeens have really thick hair with no problems. But the rest of them? I part Nefera's hair to the side, and I always see spots. Same with GR, ST, and Sig Frankie. Same with SS Abbey. I don't have the time or energy to send all these heads out for extra rehairing! At the same time, I tend to like them less when they have these 'bald spots', insignificant as they may seem.

Maybe I just need to find a way to live with this. But how? Should I just comb their hair the way it was meant to be combed? Or go to rehab to snap out of this mentality? Or what?!

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Re: My OCD when it comes to MH hair is getting the best of me
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »
I didn't notice this was such a problem until I rehaired a Cupid doll recently. I was super shocked at how many plugs I had to add just so her new hairstyle wouldn't look terrible. I don't know what to tell you, as I typically leave my dolls in stock hairstyles. Good Luck in rehab :lol:

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »
This is the reason I don't mess with my dolls' hair that often. I took down DDG Lagoona's hair and noticed there's no way to part her hair and not have a huge bald area. Any way I part it ends up looking terrible so I made myself put it back up even though I didn't really want to. She looked adorable with it down, but I knew I'd end up having to thatch her hair to lessen the effect and I just don't know if that would actually work.. ;___; (If anyone has done this, please tell me. I'd rather not spend forever trying, only to ragequit and put it back into a high ponytail...)
While I may mess around with their outfits, I'm not gonna change their hair too drastically out of stock... /sigh ;~;
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 07:46:12 PM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
If it makes you happier to have their hair fixed, I say go for it! I've found that most dolls, not unlike humans, seem to have a distinct part line - and combing against it, not unlike humans, can often be disastrous XD

If you would rather not ship away half your collection though, you could try to work with the natural hair style of each doll. For instance, I know some Operettas have that weird bald triangle where her bangs are, but if you do a side part and sweep her hair in one direction you can't really tell.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »
Compairing any doll's hair thickness to Clawdeen is a mistake :lol:  Her hair is un-naturally thick.  I think it's all the extra rooting that goes around her ears.  Plus thick hair goes with her backstory :biggrin:

That doesn't explain away the bald patches though :huh: Some dolls are just rooted badly.  Those getting sent out for extra plugs isn't a bad idea, but getting all your dolls to "Clawdeen" standards is probably going too far :P  I'll come visit you in rehab, if you want:)
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 08:59:12 PM »
Maybe you could have a go at adding the new plugs yourself? Personally I'm a little afraid of the prospect of even trying to re-hair an entire head, but maybe only having to spot treat here and there wouldn't be so bad..? It would at least be a way to get one's feet wet with the process.

This is maybe not an awesome solution since you already mentioned the time and energy thing, and this would probably be more intensive on those fronts than just sending them all out, but if it were me I would consider it because one could potentially learn a new, crafty skill that would be useful in improving both current and future dollies.

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:21:59 AM »
Tuney, I would have the hair plugs replaced too.  Bald spots drive me nuts!  Replacing missing plugs on ponies is super easy, but I don't know about MH dolls.  Does anyone have a tutorial about rehairing?? 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:18:51 AM »
Keelee: I used to rehair MLP, but nowadays I just don't have the time or devotion to spend rehairing Monsters! Between a full time job and commuting three hours a day, all I want to do is chill when I get home. hehe

I took a closer look at my dolls last night, and there's probably only a small handful that could really use attention. I'm actually thinking about selling some of my lesser loved dolls anyway. I've already gotten rid of three recently. So maybe it won't be as big a challenge as I thought it would originally be.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
Well, I've decided to make the plunge. I'm sending off half a dozen heads tomorrow morning to have extra plugs added to them! Several Frankies, Lagoona, Scarah, and Nefera will be among them. I'm worried the most about Lagoona and Nefera - I'll miss them so!

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »
It isn't so much bald spots as... cost saving. Dolls are haired to fit their hairstyles, because adding enough hair for every style is a huge cost for the scale that they produce them at. Barbies, and other dolls do the same... you just don't really notice as much when you're a kid.
After rehairing a few heads, I've noticed that the plugs are made to suit the hairstyle they have and no others, and had to adjust my plugs on a few of them.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »
It isn't so much bald spots as... cost saving. Dolls are haired to fit their hairstyles, because adding enough hair for every style is a huge cost for the scale that they produce them at. Barbies, and other dolls do the same... you just don't really notice as much when you're a kid.
After rehairing a few heads, I've noticed that the plugs are made to suit the hairstyle they have and no others, and had to adjust my plugs on a few of them.

Oh yea, I know that's why they do it. But they're still bald spots in my book! HA!

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 01:32:19 AM »
I've noticed Lagoonas and Frankies are really bad in this regard. My Rochelle has a problem with this too where somebody forgot to put a row of plugs underneath one of her ears -_-.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 04:31:31 AM »
This does my nut in soooooooooo baaaaaaaaaad!

My Opie....she has a fringe which I have swept to one side to cover the humongous bald areas across the top of her head :( kids are going to play with their dolls hair and if I were a kid, it would bother me too.

It's not just the regular dolls, Lilithas' CAM wig has bald spots, the fringe is stupidly thin and you can see the edge of the wig cap no matter how you style the hair. And it has bald spots.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »
Yeah, it's just no fun. Of the heads I sent off, three were Frankies!

Offline LilCurly

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »
That would bug the hell out of me too, luckily I haven't tried changing the styles of any of my girls! So I haven't come across this issue, but really, little kids re-style their dollies hair, so it's a tad crappy of them to leave entire patches. They charge enough for the MH dolls to add the required plugs if you ask me.

Tuney, if I re-dressed & re-styled my dolls it would bother me too, go for it with the adding plugs if it means you can get their hair looking ace :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:22:41 PM by LilCurly »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal