collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Doing some market research! Need your input.  (Read 603 times)

Offline naylastar

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Doing some market research! Need your input.
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »
Hi everyone! lately I've been really wanting to get out of University because I'd really rather be working but as everybody knows, that's not the easiest thing to do nowadays. I want to start my own business and after next Wednesday, I will know for sure if I'm going to get the funding. It is looking likely, so I would love to know exactly what everybody needs that I might be able to provide, so I know where to start.

I want to start an online shop that caters to artsy people, but specifically My little Pony Customizers like us:) On wednesday, I'm going to be presenting my business plan to a funding panel and I'm sure they're going to ask what I want to sell and what the demand is. I would love to eventually run a shop that would provide everything a customizer could need, all in one place, including hair:) I can't think of any better way to conduct market research than right here:)

So my questions are,

What products would you be interested in?

Is there something that you find really hard to find in your part of the world? (This is more aimed towards European ponies)

Do you have any suggestions for additional services/products?

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated:) Ps I'm not sure if this is in the right place but since I need input from customizers, it seemed like the best place:)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Doing some market research! Need your input.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
Well, the only things I really order online that are necessary for customs are hair and apoxie sculpt. I'm always curious to see new hair varieties, but there are already a few primary suppliers, so for me to be interested in somewhere else I'd really need to see some new and different hair not available anywhere else.

I'm not in europe, but that's my input anyway ^_^

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 01:27:52 PM »
Swarovsky crystals at reasonable prices in a variety of sizes. Nylon hair. Baits I would buy for $3 or less.

I think it would be cool for you to source out work in restoring and rehairing ponies, for a percentage of the profits. Like, customizers could register on your website with the services they offer, picture examples, and set prices. You can sell slots with them for these services. You keep a percentage, and then forward the rest on to the customizer. No work on your end other than managing the list and providing a comprehensive resource for folks!

Other stuff I would buy.. Flocking.. Those teeny tiny pearl like things that people call mermaid bubbles. Angelina film/ Fantasy Film

Those are all things I have trouble finding locally, and I order it online. Doesn't matter to me where it's shipped from so long as I get it.

Offline naylastar

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »

I think it would be cool for you to source out work in restoring and rehairing ponies, for a percentage of the profits. Like, customizers could register on your website with the services they offer, picture examples, and set prices. You can sell slots with them for these services. You keep a percentage, and then forward the rest on to the customizer. No work on your end other than managing the list and providing a comprehensive resource for folks!

That is a good idea, I wouldn't have thought of that:) There's an idea I can put forward:)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
I always thought it would be neat for someone to put together a "Beginner Customizer Kit".  There are SO MANY beginners that keep asking about what they need to get started - it might be helpful for someone to put it all together for them.  Included in it would be things like an exacto knife, hemastats, rehairing materials (either needle and thread/floss or the rehairing tool), a couple of different size paint brushes, maybe a booklet of helpful hints and tips that describes paint and sealant types and the like?  Baits, hair and paints would probably not have to be included, as that would limit what the artist would be able to create, but I think it would be super helpful to have all of the tools bundled into one package :)  I have no idea if this would be something that would be profitable, but I think it would make things easier for people just getting started. 

Offline naylastar

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »
I always thought it would be neat for someone to put together a "Beginner Customizer Kit".  There are SO MANY beginners that keep asking about what they need to get started - it might be helpful for someone to put it all together for them.  Included in it would be things like an exacto knife, hemastats, rehairing materials (either needle and thread/floss or the rehairing tool), a couple of different size paint brushes, maybe a booklet of helpful hints and tips that describes paint and sealant types and the like?  Baits, hair and paints would probably not have to be included, as that would limit what the artist would be able to create, but I think it would be super helpful to have all of the tools bundled into one package :)  I have no idea if this would be something that would be profitable, but I think it would make things easier for people just getting started. 

I did think if this, it's something that would have come in really hand to me when I started out. thanks:)

Offline MacabreDarling

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
I'm thinking that tiny cabochon's would be a good thing to carry too...you know, flat back rose, flower, bow, and other tiny shaped resin or other decorative bits. Lots of people don't have very refined sculpting abilities, and those little buggers are super fun to use on everything! Findings for the ponies might be nice too...Tiny bows and ribbons, tiny hair accessories, holiday accessories or customizing items...I'm a sucker for stuff like that. Lace trims and edgings maybe too...Customized wings and horns...[either printed fairy wings or perhaps ones cast from small molds]..Feathers? XD I'm just naming things I know I see people using now XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thank you tinrobo!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »

I have actually looked into the price to put something like that together.. One random bait, rehairing tool with two needles, two hanks of hair (that compliment each other), xacto knife, scissors, hemostats, a few paintbrushes.. And a CD that included links to a bunch of tutorials as well as a document containing suggestions on glue and paint and such to buy since you can't exactly ship stuff like that legally. The cost was easily $50.. That's WITHOUT a markup to profit. Putting something like that together would be a courtesy, and not something that someone could profit on in my opinion.. You would need to be able to get bulk discounts on the supplies you include, which often requires buying a huge minimum from a distributor.

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »
i think it would also be nice to have starter supplies like rehairing tools, airbrushing starters and things like that. i've been finding myself running all over town to get the things i need... a little frustrating. i prefer to buy online, but don't want to pay for shipping from 3 different places.

also just have a variety of tool for rehairing for people at different levels and dedication. just a thought. even if you had a whole new section of beginner kit, that had dyes, sealer, rehairing tool and one or two skeins of hair. i'd be interested in that. though sadily i'm thinking i might have some of those by the time the shop is up. but as a beginner i would love something like that.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
What products would you be interested in?
Sealant I have a hard time finding Testors dull coat here specifically, baits that are airbrushed with gradient, decent price on small quantities of apoxie, hair is always a must, brush sets, decals for wings or symbols, fantasy film, appropriate lighting fixtures for light up customs.

Is there something that you find really hard to find in your part of the world? (This is more aimed towards European ponies)

Do you have any suggestions for additional services/products?  Monster high clothing? Custom plushies, embroidered patches, buttons, winter wear.
Best of luck!
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Ligress

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart! (art is not updated but I am active to respond there!)
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 06:06:32 AM »
Mermaid bubbles; setting for pony sized jewelry; hair bobbins (they are the devil to find anything smaller then a corsage pin, for me anyhow, so smaller the better!), rit dyes and dying instructions; crystals (like others suggested;) flocking; fantasy film thats not insanely priced (like a sampler kit?); hairbands tested not to yellow ponies hair; mr.super clear uv for less then 20 bucks; and a strange one- custom stamps for making a makers mark on a ponies foot. :)
 Oh edit to add inkjet transparency sheets for inexpensive (for custom wings)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:08:45 AM by Ligress »
~ Have facebook? Selling or buying a custom pony, vintage toys  or pony extras?~
* MLP Extras for sale **http://www.facebook.com/groups/CUSTOMPONIES Vintage Toys BUY SELL TRADE *
Avatar Icon by L Correia My Ponysona Ligress

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 07:15:14 AM »
stamps for a pony's foot would be an interesting one!

In honesty, so far what others have posted doesn't tempt me. Those are all items already available for good prices from elsewhere. Thats the tricky thing about trying to start your own business - you have to either have a unique product or service, or have to be able to offer better pricing than elsewhere.

Now for european members, you may be able to offer a lower or more convenient price - I think that will be the biggest strength for you. So focus on that! You can find items that are typically unavailable or very expensive to ship and hopefully work with the manufacturer or retailer to be able to buy in large enough amounts that you can sell economically to those in europe.

MsGatamon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »
I am not in Europe either.  But I have heard complaints about not finding decent glitter paint.  Hair is always a good item to add to any doll customizing site.

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
I have found it impossible to get in shops things like the mesh people suggest for strengthening wings on ponies (or anything on sculptures); the kind of floral tape which doesn't melt in the oven (for holding together sculptures internals when baking Fimo/Sculpey) ; Testors Dullcoat spray for less than £20 including shipping; apoxie for a normal price; DECENT SMALL PAINTBRUSHES (gosh, my pet hate going into an art shop and all the brushes are splayed!!!); cheap thick yarn; superfine glitter in multiple colours; mod podge even... I appreciate I can buy all these thing online but the fact is when you factor in shipping from 5 different sites the cost almost doubles. I'd much rather it was all in one place. Hope I helped some!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal