collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Finally watched some pre-G4 pony cartoons  (Read 2691 times)

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
Re: Finally watched some pre-G4 pony cartoons
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 07:50:34 AM »
You should check out MLP Tales when you get some time. I never was crazy about the original G1 cartoons (though Firefly's Adventure was great), but Tales gives FiM a run for its money as far as I'm concerned. I think it's nostalgia. I used to watch Tales all the time as a child.
Personally, I think Tales bests FiM. Much of the situation in it is believable and can happen to anybody, and that's what I like about it. FiM was close to besting Tales with season 1, but then they had to ruin it with Discord and Chrysalis in season 2, and that's when it jumped the shark for me.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 10:30:21 AM »
Much of the situation in it is believable and can happen to anybody, and that's what I like about it. FiM was close to besting Tales with season 1, but then they had to ruin it with Discord and Chrysalis in season 2, and that's when it jumped the shark for me.

See, that's what I disliked about Tales.  There was no magic, there was no fantasy.  I also disagree that FiM "jumped the shark" just because it had action, adventure, and villains.  "My Little Pony" cartoons have frequently had those things since inception (i.e. see "Rescue at Midnight Castle" the very first pony special, the MLP Movie, and 2/3rds of My Little Pony and Friends.)

Evening_Moonstone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »
Funny story, and I'm sure I'm showing my age with some of this: when I was a little kid, we taped "Rescue at Midnight Castle" off tv.  We didn't have cable, but the place where I lived had a satellite dish for the whole complex and we could get some shows through there. The station that was airing MLP was somewhat scrambled, so it wasn't crystal clear and the colors were off.  I was ever so disappointed when I watched the MLP cartoon later on and the colors were correct - I thought Megan had blue hair!  The other characters were multicolored ponies and I don't think I owned any of the ones on the special, so I wouldn't have known what they looked like for real.  But Megan... I was so bummed out to learn that she was just another blonde.  Blue-haired Megan was just so much cooler!

cesprins

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
T
Funny story, and I'm sure I'm showing my age with some of this: when I was a little kid, we taped "Rescue at Midnight Castle" off tv.  We didn't have cable, but the place where I lived had a satellite dish for the whole complex and we could get some shows through there. The station that was airing MLP was somewhat scrambled, so it wasn't crystal clear and the colors were off.  I was ever so disappointed when I watched the MLP cartoon later on and the colors were correct - I thought Megan had blue hair!  The other characters were multicolored ponies and I don't think I owned any of the ones on the special, so I wouldn't have known what they looked like for real.  But Megan... I was so bummed out to learn that she was just another blonde.  Blue-haired Megan was just so much cooler!

That sounds awesome. Do you still have that tape?

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »
The G1 cartoons definitely bring me back to my childhood.  I have some of the G1 DVDs, and my girls love watching them too. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

girlyponce

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 01:54:38 PM »
While I don't specifically remember watching the G1 show I must have as a kid as I vividly remember that my first dream I had in color was about My Little Pony.......................... FiM re-ignited my pony love though :) I will have to check out the older cartoons again!

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 07:02:24 PM »
T

That sounds awesome. Do you still have that tape?
Hmm, that reminds me of how when comparing different recordings of the same episode people have uploaded to YouTube, certain shades of green get tinted toward blue on more degraded copies, like the green fur on Tirac and Fizzy.  (And not just My Little Pony now; I recall that in the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, some of the Japanese footage of the Green Ranger made him look more like a second Blue Ranger.)

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »
See, that's what I disliked about Tales.  There was no magic, there was no fantasy.  I also disagree that FiM "jumped the shark" just because it had action, adventure, and villains.  "My Little Pony" cartoons have frequently had those things since inception (i.e. see "Rescue at Midnight Castle" the very first pony special, the MLP Movie, and 2/3rds of My Little Pony and Friends.)
See, that's what causes me to hide under the kitchen table at least a few times an episode with G1, and many cartoons of the 80s in general.

Tales was a welcome change. Especially since I came across Tales while looking for a replacement for Arthur back in 2001.

There's already an onslaught of standard adventures/show with villains show in the market, while slice of life shows has been getting rarer.

I don't want to see MLP degrade into another "me-too" show of wanton fighting. Nor was I happy when it lost the E/I status. i want to see a show that's suitable for replacing Arthur and Franklin, both which has been cancelled by Malaysian TVs for years and which there is no other replacements for.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Gold_Kitsune

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 02:42:46 AM »
I know!  I watched CR's history on the past generations of my little pony, so I decided to watch the first movie from the 80's (which is before my time as I was born in 1989) I was amazed to find it had dragons, action, and adventure!

by the time I was about 9 or 10, and started to get my own permanent personality, MLP was past gen one and into the much more "Girly" gen 2 and 3. I never hated them, I simply never gave them any thought. To me they were a commercial with an annoying catchy jingle.

Even after becoming a Brony I simply assumed that MLP had always been like that before FiM.

Funny thing, one of the most speculated things in Bronydom is Scootaloo's family, And if you know even a little bit about generation 3 then you know that she is Cheerilee's sister XD  mystery solved lol

Offline FlitterRose

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Welcome to Daydreamland. No reality allowed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2012, 02:59:04 AM »
I think what i like best about the G1-G3 cartoons is that the ponies didn't go crazy and weren't mean to each other, for the most part.
You're pretty right. :) They all used to understand each other and be nice...

Most of the people love the gen they grew up with or the one who started their collection the most.But as most of the othes say-it's good giving a try to the other gens-after all,they're all MLP and deserve love,a lot of work was laid for them all.I loved G3 so much and I knew I would love the other gens...and I did!

It's really nice that you enjoyed it :)
Sup

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2012, 09:48:30 AM »
Hey thays great Starly...I hope you get a chance to try some of the G1 cartoons as well.

We all come to different generations in different ways - I certainly didnt think I would enjoy FiM anywhere near as much as I do but I really do like it.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
Except Gusty. Gusty. >:O

I watched a G1 ep weeks ago, and saw how much of a ** Gusty was, and laughed. :lol: She's like Rainbow Dash in that respect. Truly is essentially like Rarity, with a different accent. It's pretty amusing.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »
I agee with the person that stated they miss slice of life cartoons. That's what I loved about Tales. I have nothing wrong with cartoons about magic. I adore FiM. But Tales had a very...nostalgic and comfy feeling to it.
I miss other old slice of life cartoons.....stuff like Doug, As Told by Ginger, Hey Arnold, etc.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2012, 08:55:03 PM »
Except Gusty. Gusty. >:O

I watched a G1 ep weeks ago, and saw how much of a ** Gusty was, and laughed. :lol: She's like Rainbow Dash in that respect. Truly is essentially like Rarity, with a different accent. It's pretty amusing.

I always thought Truly was pretty darn rude too O_o or was it Heart-throb...the one with the overly cliche Southern accent. I remember the episode with Crunch the Rock Dog just how mean she was to Wind Whistler...Buttons too. Honestly, so many ponies get sad at one point or another for feeling like they don't fit in with the other ponies (Sundance, Sweet Stuff, Wind Whistler), that I never thought how nice they all were. I was surprised when I went back and rewatched a ton of episode how mean a lot of them actually are! Imo the ponies in FiM are WAY nicer, (I don't consider Rarity like Truly at all) to one another and accepting of differences.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2012, 11:27:03 PM »
Ha ha, Truly was wonderfully awful!  Wasn't she the one snapping at Galaxy(?) for being concerned about it . . . SNOWING IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER?  Then there were the flutter ponies:

"Our wizard friend got buried in a landslide and we hear him call for help now and then, but that's not our problem, you know what I'm saying?  Sleep tight, Baby Lucky, and don't let the bedbugs bite.  But if they do bite, keep your yap shut.  We need our beauty sleep."

Tales was the worst for unhealthy interpersonal relationships, though.   Teddy and Ace were such jerks that I have no idea why the others tolerated them.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:32:34 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal