collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Going to Ireland! Any advice?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Going to Ireland! Any advice?
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
On Friday I'll be on my way to Ireland for a 2-week trip with my mom, grandma, and aunt. I've wanted to go for a long long time, so I'm very excited :)

I wondered if there are any Irish members here (or members who have visited Ireland before) who can tell me a little bit about what to expect. I'm from California, and I'm used to wearing flip flops, jeans and a tank top year-round and just throwing on a light sweatshirt when it gets chilly. I'm not sure what Ireland's going to be like this time of year, but it sounds like it might be a little cooler over there. Am I going to freeze if I don't pack woolly underwear and ski gear? :P

I've also heard tales from the European ponies of magical places called "car boot sales." Do they have those in Ireland, or just in other specific parts of Europe?

Also, that nifty store (I think it's called Primark? Or is Primark a brand?) where everyone is finding those adorable G1 shirts, do they have those in Ireland?

Anything else I should know? Specific food I should try, or try to stay away from? Things I need to bring or places I need to see? We will be going as part of a tour, but it's a very small tour (my group of 4 makes up 1/3 of it) and it's supposedly very lax, so I expect to have time to explore a bit on my own.

Thanks in advance for any input :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline dinobuzz

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Going to Ireland! Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
Wow CS, I you & your family have a great time in Ireland!!! Be sure to take lots of pics!

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 02:14:40 AM »
Where abouts in Ireland are you going?

At the minute we're getting pretty torrential rain, though I think it's supposed to dry up a little by Friday. In terms of clothing, ski gear isn't quite necessary but you'll want jeans, a couple of thick hoodies or sweaters and a good coat. Warm, non-leaking shoes too, and a cosy scarf! Temperatures tend not to be extreme - we usually have mildish winters, and cooler summers - but it's very much colder than Cali, and the wind can be bitter. Layers will be your best friends over here, and if you're going to be walking around inside and out a lot expect to dressing and undressing all the time! A large bag will come in handy if you don't want your arms full of clothes!

Primark is the UK brand name, if you're in Ireland their shops are under the name Penneys - be warned though, they're always insanely busy, though very cheap!

Car boot sales are mostly on during the summer months, but some churches or market grounds have them regularly, once a month or so. Keep an eye out for any signs, or check any small, local newspapers for the area you're visiting. You can't visit Ireland without trying soda bread, a full Irish fry, or a pint of Guinness (if you're over 18!). Dublin is a fascinating city, with loads of park land, great night life and tons of shops and markets - try and stay away from the 'ye olde Irish' places if you really want to get the feel of it.

The west of Ireland's geography is stunning, though it tends to be wetter than the east. Donegal is the most mountainous county, right at the very top of Ireland, and the Giant's Causeway (while in Northern Ireland, as opposed to the Republic) is a must see, though be careful not to get blown away in these seasons!
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 02:23:34 AM »
No advice but can I just say I'm jealous :P I really want to go to Ireland one day.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Zoundz

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishrats.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 02:25:43 AM »
Which bit of Ireland are you coming to? :)

I'm the opposite end of Ireland to fiwen30 - Cork - right on the south west coast! :) It's stunning here, the weather is a bit damp and grey, but not much you can do about that, hopefully it'll brighten up a bit. I think this is one of the most relaxing, beautiful places in the world. There's plenty to do in the way of nature stuff - though it's probably a bit tame compared to California.

Of course, the towns and the pubs etc are a major highlight - and it does help to have someone to show you around and show you the best pubs etc.

Carbootsales are a pretty rare thing around here to be honest, and they are a bit rubbish. The UK is much better for those. Primark is Penneys in Ireland, and to be honest, I've not seen any MLP stuff in there :/ but then, I may not have been looking in the right places. When everyone was buying the MLP pants I did have a look, but no sign of them in any of the Cork Penneys.

If you're anywhere near, please feel free to give us a shout, we do a fair bit of couchsurfing stuff, so we're always happy to help people out in the area, invite them in for a cuppa, to see the rats and/or the ponies ;) and also to take people to good music pubs! :)

Hope you enjoy your trip, and if I can help at all, please send me a message! :D
xx
Bongo Fury Rattery - Small hobby rattery in West Cork. Breeding for Russian Silver and related varieties, also working towards Pearl and Cinnamon Pearl.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 02:59:13 AM »
Dress in layers is my only piece of advice.  It's been a long time since I've been in Ireland but it's gorgeous, so take lots of pictures!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:21:29 AM »
No advice but have fun!!!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
I'm so jealous!! I would love to go!

Have a great time with your family!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 12:03:23 AM »
Congrats!

I loved Ireland and would like to go back. We went for our honeymoon. It's been 15 years but I remember it like it was yesterday. So many nice people and such a beautiful country.

We stayed mainly on the West Coast. We went in August and got lucky and in the 2 weeks we were there, it only rained like 3 times. I could go on and on...

Enjoy!
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 12:08:55 AM »
hmm, i guess these who live in irelandcan and already have told you much.
i just can say its beautifull!
and if you are looking for somethig like primark, check dunnes, it is a similiar store. also, the thrift shops/ second hand shops are awesome! be sure to check them!
aand please take pictures, i bet your time with your family will be awesome!
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline celticowgirl88

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 12:14:56 AM »
No advice, but I sure am envious! Take a ton of pics!!!

Heddwyn ~ Castor

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:29:40 AM »
I don't have any advice but I am soooo super jealous! I've wanted to go to Ireland for a long time! you must take tons of pictures for us to oogle at! ^.^
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 01:16:55 PM »
Have a great time! I've always wanted to go!
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
Thank you for the advice and well-wishes everybody! I'm at the airport now waiting to fly out :) I did read all your comments earlier but was just too tired to respond coherently lol. The trip is around the circumference of Ireland mostly, but starting in Dublin. I don't have an itenerary handy but ill let you know when I can tell you more spedically where I'll be. Just a quick update to thank you all for your help :)

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline Zoundz

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bongo Fury Rat Lady
    • View Profile
    • http://www.irishrats.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 07:12:53 AM »
Well - if you are in the West Cork area and want any help, give me a shout! :D

xx
Bongo Fury Rattery - Small hobby rattery in West Cork. Breeding for Russian Silver and related varieties, also working towards Pearl and Cinnamon Pearl.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal