collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on trading?  (Read 610 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Advice on trading?
« on: September 13, 2012, 03:53:11 AM »
I've only ever bought ponies before, never sold. I'm hoping to do a trade soon and I was wondering how do people normally go about it?
  • Do traders usually pick tracked or registered mail, or just stick with standard? I'd assume one of the safer postage methods with proof of postage & delivery or something.
  • When you're doing a straight up trade do you pay the postage on the pony you're sending or does your trade partner pay that and you pay for the one you'll be receiving?
  • What do people do if the unthinkable happens and one package goes missing?
  • Is most of this actually just decided on a case-by-case basis? If so what would you recommend for a first time trader?
  • Do I have good chances of acquiring specific items, some fairly rare, if I have a sought-after item for trade?

I can't think of anything else I need to ask right now. If you have any advice at all on the DOs and DON'Ts that you think I should know please do let me know. Thanks  ^.^
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline simplysteffie

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://simplysteffie.deviantart.com/
Re: Advice on trading?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:54:47 AM »
I don't tend to do tracking on international packages (because it's expensive), but always keep your receipts. When I mail locally (US), I do delivery conformation which is tracking.

It depends. If it's an even trade, I usually pay to ship the item I'm mailing- not the one receiving- though, if there's any shipping difference, say the one I'm mailing cost 2.80 to mail- but it cost them 10.54 to mail- I'd pay them the difference. It also depends on how generous you're feeling, if it's a few bucks difference and they're sending me something I'm dying to have- I don't worry about it.

Keep your receipts. You can always get insurance on a package. If something gets lost, expect to be making phone calls and filling out claims with your post office.

I think it is case-by-case. It really depends on what you and the other person agree on. Keep all your conversations and receipts. If you're paying for something- I think PayPal gives you 30 days to file a claim if you need too. Just ask all the questions you need answers too- no question is stupid.

Trading isn't always a done deal, especially if it's a rare item. Nobody wants to trade something unless they're getting equal worth.

Good luck!
WANTED/Will Buy: All TE Locket's, UK Starlight's & pink G1's
My DA: http://simplysteffie.deviantart.com/
My FB: http://www.facebook.com/hottdamnitssteff
Sales on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/hottdangitssteff/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
(Thanks for the avatar Adrean!)

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:34:07 AM »
I've got a few trades under my belt.

I always use insurance and tracking/delivery confirmation.  ^.^
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »
    Do traders usually pick tracked or registered mail, or just stick with standard? I'd assume one of the safer postage methods with proof of postage & delivery or something.
I track domestic because it isn't that expensive but usually not international.  However in a trade situation I'd say give them the option. I insure anything over $50. 

When you're doing a straight up trade do you pay the postage on the pony you're sending or does your trade partner pay that and you pay for the one you'll be receiving?
It depends.  Some people say each person is responsible for their own shipping.  I am more with simplysteffie where I try to balance it out.  Either by adjusting the value of the trade items or by paying the difference.

What do people do if the unthinkable happens and one package goes missing?
Case by case basis really.  There are a few options.   Both parties usually agree before hand.  1. If international does not request to pay extra for tracking many approach it with an at your own risk attitude.  2. The trader who received their items will compensate the person that didn't either with monetary balance or sending alternative merchandise.  3.  Both parties will split the cost of the missing item so each takes a half loss.  4. Others I am missing.

Is most of this actually just decided on a case-by-case basis? If so what would you recommend for a first time trader?
Most is on a case by case basis. Depending on what you are selling trading don't be surprised if you get low offers.  I have found it difficult to sell at cost here.  Trade wise as long as you both end up happy it's much less stressful.  Advice for you would be to keep receipts and tracking info.  Keep open communication with your traders/buyers.  Have a secure method of payment.  Package things well (never in newspaper or print).

Do I have good chances of acquiring specific items, some fairly rare, if I have a sought-after item for trade?
Yes this is a good place to find things that are very unusual.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:51 AM »
Shipping with tracking is more expensive but way less stressful.  :)  How much is that stress worth to you?

I find that internationally, it's not easy to "work out" shipping as I never know until I get to the post office what they are going to charge.  One postal outlet can charge differently from another, even though they say they're all the same!  So I just trade the value of ponies and leave the shipping separate. 

If it goes missing, well... this is why I send tracked/insured.  If not...  well...  lots of stress and worry!

Most people have a method that works best for them and their location.  You can always ask questions or have things done differently.  I think many people are willing to work with you for ponies they want.  :) 

You can find all sorts of things when you're trading...  especially if it's more HTF or rare.  People tend to put those up on Ebay or the Sales board and hesitate to trade them.  So it's always great when someone WILL trade. 

I hope that helps!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »
I think you've got some great advice here already, but I'll add my answers as well :)

Do traders usually pick tracked or registered mail, or just stick with standard? I'd assume one of the safer postage methods with proof of postage & delivery or something.
You dont have to send with tracking, and first class is usually reliable... however, sending with tracking is much safer, and in my opinion is better for trading since there is no way of getting your money back if the parcel goes missing and there is no payment (since its a trade) . Its best for both of you to send this way, whether your partner is international or not :awake:

When you're doing a straight up trade do you pay the postage on the pony you're sending or does your trade partner pay that and you pay for the one you'll be receiving?
Usually you both pay postage on the pony you are sending rather than receiving, but if one is going to cost a lot more than the other then you could cover the extra cost with a paypal payment or by sending something extra in the parcel for your trade partner :)

What do people do if the unthinkable happens and one package goes missing?
First up, keep good communication with your partner. Thats very important. Give it time for the parcel to show up (and remember that shipping times vary. ) . This is where tracking/delivery confirmation can relieve a lot of the stress because you/your partner knows for sure that the parcel has actually been sent, and can see where it has been tracked to. If there is tracking etc and the parcel doesnt show up then a claim can be made with the PO.   You can work things out with your partner by 1.) sending a paypal payment to the value of the missing pony/ies (and then claiming your money back from the PO for the missing parcel if you have proof of postage/tracking etc) , 2.) sending your partner another parcel of equal value to the items you've received (make sure its something your partner would like as a replacement first though ;) )  or 3.)  you both split the cost half and half  .
Keep in mind that it can be risky doing a trade with someone when there is no proof of postage - people have been scammed this way before. Its not a nice thing to think about but it has happened .

Is most of this actually just decided on a case-by-case basis? If so what would you recommend for a first time trader?
yes its usually case by case. . For a first time trader I would recommend trading with someone who has been active in the community for some time, and who already has a lot of experience trading/selling etc - someone who is in good standing with the community and is considered trustworthy. I wouldnt start out trading with another newbie , but if you are both using tracking then it wont be as risky .
Also- this might not happen , but dont be surprised or offended if your trade partner asks you to post first and give them the tracking number/show them your PO receipt before they post your item (this will usually only apply while you are new to trading and if they are someone who is trusted/experienced etc ) otherwise both agree on a time to send the parcels and show each other the receipts/ tracking number)

Do I have good chances of acquiring specific items, some fairly rare, if I have a sought-after item for trade?
Yes - this is a great place to find specific and even rare items :)

BTW I think its great that you posted here to understand how trading works before going for it :bigups: Hope that all these answers have helped a bit and  I'm wishing you all the best with your future trades ! :hug: 

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 07:41:17 PM »
Good reference on trading! Thanks for asking and thanks for the answers! :)
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:19:39 AM »
Thanks everyone for the answers, I'm still a bit nervous but you've all given me a bit more confidence with your advice. Hopefully all will be well ^.^
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal