collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help me destroy the smell!  (Read 925 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Help me destroy the smell!
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »
I just got a pony package in, but it's heavily scented and like perfumed. It's making me sick and break out. My wife ran away to keep from getting sick since she has to puff on an inhaler and stuff. I'm soaking this pony, but what can I do to get rid of the smell?  I'm assuming baking soda would help, but how do you go about using it? Just scrub it on the pony or something? Gotta get rid of this smell feel light headed. @_@

I know I'm totally sounding like a drama queen, but I'm not meaning to be seriously. It's really that overpoweringly strong. I mean I used to smoke and my smelling senses are ruined. I can smell this girl though, and she's making me cough.

Also she's kinda an expensive Nirvana so setting her outside to air out isn't a good option for me. We have lots of neighbors that let their dogs run free. I'd come back and she would be gone or without feet. >_<
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Help me destroy the smell!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »
Wrap it up in newspaper, then put it in a plastic zip lock bag with lots of baking soda.
Let it sit for a while repeat if needed.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:12:03 PM by kakenterprise »

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
Newspaper will discolor your ponies!  The ink bleeds...

Just take the pony (head off if you can manage it), stick it directly in a ziplock of baking soda, and mostly seal it.  Stick this mostly sealed bag into a shallow tub of cat litter.  Wrap all this into a big garbage bag (label it NOT TRASH!!!) and place where direct sunlight will heat and warm the litter and baking soda.  Give it about a week. 

Best of luck! 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »
Newspaper will discolor your ponies!  The ink bleeds...

Just take the pony (head off if you can manage it), stick it directly in a ziplock of baking soda, and mostly seal it.  Stick this mostly sealed bag into a shallow tub of cat litter.  Wrap all this into a big garbage bag (label it NOT TRASH!!!) and place where direct sunlight will heat and warm the litter and baking soda.  Give it about a week. 

Best of luck!
Just to clarify before I do something I shouldn't. You stick the pony directly in the baking soda right? It won't hurt her and stuff?

Formerly Maddie

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »
If you have any pet stores in your area, you can get activated carbon charcoal made for aquarium filters to help pull the smell out. I would put the pony in a trashbag, place the charcoal in a open container next to the pony (but not touching) and then tie the bag up and leave it like that for about a week or two. I've done this to remove smoke and basement smells on items before and it works like a charm. Good luck!

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »
I've heard that dry rice does pretty well too. Definitely avoid the newspaper! What pony is it?

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »
I've heard that dry rice does pretty well too. Definitely avoid the newspaper! What pony is it?
Another Nightlight. I'm building a small army. I know she's not as expensive as some of the other girls, but still I'm afraid of my neighbors dogs eating her if left outside. We caught them trying to drag off some of my sunfading girls from the back patio before. >_<

Formerly Maddie

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:50:07 PM »
Yup kitty litter or baking soda - seal the pony in an air tight container with them [no you dont need to put the pony in either or cover the pony in it - it just needs to be in the same restricted space]. The kitty litter works to absorb the smell and the baking soda to neutralise.

Repeat this process a few times with fresh soda/litter. Then literally air the pony out - not exposed but somewhere the air is fresh.

With time she should be fine.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
I hope that smell goes away!

I would reccomend charcoal or baking soda!

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »
I've heard that baking soda can discolour certain ponies if applied directly to them, so I'd be careful with that!

White vinegar is pretty good for removing smells, too.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 05:08:46 PM »
good luck getting rid of that smell sounds awful.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
I've heard that baking soda can discolour certain ponies if applied directly to them, so I'd be careful with that!

White vinegar is pretty good for removing smells, too.
Does white Vinegar have the normal vinegar smell? How do you normally clean them with it? I've never done that before.

Thanks guys >w<

Formerly Maddie

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 05:31:46 PM »
well, when my brand new smartphone vibrated off the table into a cup of week-old tea that someone had forgotten about and left on the floor... it worked, but smelt DISGUSTING. I wiped it dry, but gagged everytime I used it. It was impossible to deal with, so I did the following:

1. Found two containers. One large container with a sealable lid, and one small enough to fit the smelly object, without a lid.
2. Filled the bottom of the large container with baking soda (or rice I'm told works too) about an inch deep.
3. Placed the smelly object into the small container and placed it inside the larger container. If it might tip, place it against the side or something, or dig it into the BS.
4. Sealed the large container.
5. Went away for the weekend.

When I returned, my phone was odour-free! I'd leave it longer for something porous-ish like a pony, maybe a week or so. I like this method because I can see the object and can be sure it isn't being damaged!

Good Luck!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
I use a baking soda scrub to gently clean my ponies, so I've immersed plenty of them inside and out with it.  If you grind it into glittery symbols or painted areas, it will start to degrade them, but that's obvious for ALL cleaners.  :)  It's pretty good at getting out those ground-in dirt patches. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline xkelpiex

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • They/Them.or Fae/Faer pronouns pls
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
I put a STINKING piece of silk into a baggie with three dryer sheets for a week and the smell went away completely! Dunno if it would work for a pony, but you could try!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal