collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Reccommend cameras and telescopes  (Read 844 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Reccommend cameras and telescopes
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »
I've made it known that I'm buying my wife some ponies for Christmas, but I've about finished. Maybe six really left to go and finish up her pony box. NOrmally at Christmas time I buy her dvd seasons and things she likes because we watch a lot of movies together. I want to get her things that are a bit more interesting this year. She loves to take pictures and actually her photography skills make me pretty proud. She has very little to work with in the camera department, but she's on some sort of photography site and takes a lot of pictures. Most are lovely, and she gets super excited having lots of followers and constructive feedback. :lol: 

I'm attempting to persuade her to take a photography class in the fall without telling her why, but I would like to get her a nice camera. I want to stay around the $200 range so nothing that would be extremely classy I suppose. I just know she needs something a little nicer than our 80 digital Polaroid cameras. Something that can zoom in for crisp details (within reason of course due to price limitations) ect. Overall just a better camera to help her grow in the hobby that she loves. I wouldn't mind even hunting down a more expensive camera in a used state (long as it worked properly ect) so suggestions are very much appreciated.

Another thing we both like but never do much is look at the stars. We're both night owls and months ago she mentioned getting a telescope. Again I would like to stay within the 100-200 range (prefer to stay closer to 100 and spend more money on the camera). It doesn't have to have the best sight ever, but enough that we could see some things. A beginners telescope that isn't just crappy.

Any suggestions would be lovely.  I keep looking things up online, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for ^.^
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Reccommend cameras and telescopes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I highly recommend Orion for telescopes. They have amazing customer service, the telescopes are very well made, prices are awesome... it's just a great company.

They have a lot of informative videos, including choosing your first - Here. It's extremely helpful.

I have a 100mm reflector - This one. I purchased the tripod bundle but they also sell just the tabletop model for $120. I've had it almost a year and absolutely love it. I spend hours and hours outside looking at space ^.^ This telescope, as the video says, is great all around viewing of the moon, planets, and deep sky objects. I live in a relatively bright area (we have street and security lights, ugh) and even so I can still see a lot of detail. Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Venus, Mercury, Neptune, various moons (even Titan, my favorite! Eee!) and of course our moon and sun. I can sweep it across the sky and pick out nebulas - very cool!

To give an example, here are some photos I took with various lenses.

20mm lens
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

10mm lens with a moon filter

6.3mm lens

That last one is a bad photo but it shows the amount of detail a 6.3 lens grants you. Of course, it looks much better through your own eyes while you're not trying to juggle a camera and keep the telescope steady and centered :lol: (and this was without a filter so it's a bit too bright)

I believe the 20mm and 10mm lenses come standard. Mine was bundled with the 6.3 and later I bought a 3.6 and a set of filters. I really can't say anything bad about this telescope :) It does view upside down, as do all reflectors, so it will take some getting used to but it doesn't take long to get a feel for it, and it has a handy laser sight to help find objects and align the telescope.

Orion has cheaper models too. I think they start at 60 bucks. Great company, really. They're available anytime to answer questions and help with whatever you need, before or after you buy. I've contacted them many times about different of things and they've never been less than friendly and helpful :)

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 04:13:50 PM »
Good luck finding the perfect telescope or camera! I'm afraid I'm useless.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
Absolutely clueless, but I know there's members who'll come along with good info (BC has already given you some fabulous info.)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
BC that looks wonderful! I actually really enjoy those pictures you have and gave a little gasp of happiness. I had never heard of this place before, and I was simply looking through Walmart and things. Thank you so much :hug: I'm going to look through their items a bit, would you mind if I pm you if I have questions?

Formerly Maddie

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »
I don't have a telescope, but I am always happy to recommend my camera.  I have an Olympus E-PL1 and I love it!  It has great megapixels, a nice macro setting, and takes good indoor pictures without a flash.  And it's easy to use.  :)  My Flickr has a bunch of pictures I've taken with it (except the "Baby CC Goes to Italy" album, I didn't have the camera yet for those ones).

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »
PM me anytime! I'll help with what I can ^.^

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 01:17:33 AM »
If you don't mind buying used and upping you camera budget a little bit, you can get pretty solid DLSR starter kit for about $250-300. Here's what $300 worth of digital camera gear can do.

Those galleries aren't the keepers, they're ALL of the shots that are in focus, it's what I link bands to so they can poke through 'em and see if there are any shots they want to license.

The camera is a Canon Rebel XTI, and the lens is a Canon 50mm 1.8.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 04:50:55 PM »
Zenna and Doctor thank you for your suggestions. I'm looking through your pictures there and stuff on the cameras. I might prod at you more when I'm done searching. ^.^

Doctor I've seen some of your pictures around the forum. Is photography a profession for you? They look nice.

BC: Thanks so much :hug:

Formerly Maddie

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
Zenna and Doctor thank you for your suggestions. I'm looking through your pictures there and stuff on the cameras. I might prod at you more when I'm done searching. ^.^

Doctor I've seen some of your pictures around the forum. Is photography a profession for you? They look nice.

Sort of, I consistently get licensing rights to my concert shots, but it's not a full time or even part time job. My trade is audio engineering, but photography pulls in some cash. I'm working on getting it to the point where I can rely on photography for income as much as I can audio, but it's going to take a pretty hefty investment in photography gear. I know a lot about photography, both digital and traditional, so if you have any questions, I'm sure I can answer them. Feel free to ask.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline nullcherri

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reneedicherri.com
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »
Agree with  DoctorMowinckel ! Get your lady a DSLR. Might be scary at first, but it's worth it.

Keep in mind the brand will be somewhat important- most brands have a proprietary lens system. (example: Canon: EF. Nikon: Nikkor, Panasonic: Micro 4/3rds)

That's ok- it's just going to matter down the line as you buy lenses. There are lens adapters for the different systems that allow you to switch them up, but they can be expensive and complicated.

Find one that fits within your price range.
Keep in mind the lens he suggested(the 50mm) is a "prime" lens- so it does not zoom.
Typically the camera will come with one- called a "kit" lens and will be called something like `18-50mm' to indicate it can change length.

If the camera does not come with a lens, it might say something like 'body only'.

Um, I want to add I'm not trying to badmouth primes. At all!!
I love them. :]
But you specifically mentioned zooming so I wanted to say that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal