collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Planes O_O  (Read 416 times)

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
Planes O_O
« on: August 30, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »
So I'm going to be flying to the States on Monday (grand total of 6 flights there and back).... and I am really really worried!

I have flown before but I really try to avoid it, really I am only happy to risk it if there is a Disney park on the other end :D

Is anyone else a bit nervous on planes? Any suggestions about how to feel less anxious about it?

Logically I know that they are very safe, and I have only ever been on one plane with a mechanical issue but I just cant shake the worry :(

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Planes O_O
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
I have flown to Oz before.

I don't mind it too much. I try to sleep as much as possible.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:03:55 PM »
They used to make me nervous but now I like planes. I like to sit by the window and look at the clouds or, at night, the lights on the ground. Then I daydream about various magical things, cloud castles and winged horses and dragons and such or fairies and sprites and talking fireflies. Distraction seems to work well for me. Maybe it would work for you too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
Most of the nervousness comes from being in close quarters with others for extended periods of time.  That's what gets to me anyway (I'm a little agoraphobic.)  Get something to help you sleep so you can do that for most of the ride.  There's a -lot- of time to kill on that flight from Oz to the States.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:19:30 PM »
I love flying. What part makes you nervous?
Sometimes people just don't like the take off and landing. Maybe you occupy yourself with something like a book. Bring something soft to lay against and take a nap. That always helps with long flights.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone :) It has made me think more about what aspects of flying Im worried about rather than just 'Planes' in general.

@ Kaoskat - I haven't really been brave enough to look out of the window much before, maybe I should try it - might be able to look for cloud animals or something :)

@Eviecorn - I hadn't thought about that aspect of it before, but you are right - being in such close quarters for such a long time is pretty nerve-wracking!

@stopxmotion - I think the part that I really fear the most is the take off and landing, because that is when most accidents happen. Especially when you level off right after taking off and sometimes the plane lurches a little bit backwards! That is super scary! Turbulence too. Really anything that shakes the plane always makes me feel like we are going to drop O_O

I got some Tamazepam? for the long flight. Never taken any before, but I figure that if I can sleep through some of it at least it will be good :)

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
I work full time for an airline. I fly free on standby so planes are kind of like a taxi for me. I never been that afraid of them. Maybe, it is because I work with them. I kind of like turbulence too.

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 04:30:03 AM »
Well, I was never afraid of flying, but since I moves to the UK, I got even more used to it xD

But yes, try to read, draw, imagine things while looking outside, sleep or talk if you're going with someone <3

Or play on a portable console ! :D

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 04:34:47 AM »
I fly with monotonous regularity and it doesnt matter how often I get on board...I simply dont like it.  So I want to offer you :hug: and the honest reassurance that its the safest way to travel but any kind of fear is completely normal.

I battle through it with my kindle and a choice of books which I know will completely absorb me and I simply try and focus on the page and not on my surroundings. I am a complete bore on long haul as I dont even like to acknowledge anyone around me just focus on those words until we get to our destination.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 10:53:08 AM »
I just put on music and try to remove myself from the experience.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »
I always liked flying as a kid.  Especially takeoff and landing.

Lately, I get really anxious at takeoff and landing (weird, right) and end up imagining all sorts of awful things.  Don't know why, since that used to be my favorite part.  Probably because I've been stressed lately I guess.

Good luck!  :hug:

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 02:27:20 PM »
I like flying except for the turbulence, but I deal with that by closing my eyes and imagining I'm in a car going over a bumpy road - it doesn't feel any different, and it really helps!
And remember, if you really want your ears to pop, make yourself yawn, or if you can't, just open your mouth really wide. (I think if you keep your mouth open for the big altitude changes, that's supposed to help, but I know I wouldn't want to have gaping mouth the whole time we'd be taking off but it might be worth it. ;) )
I'll put something here some time

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
I definitely suggest carrying an iPod or something so you can listen to music/watch movies/etc on the flight.  I adore flying, but bad turbulence is the one thing that gets me.  Coming back from Seattle a couple of weeks ago, we hit a really bumpy patch, and mostly it was everyone else's anxiety that rubbed off on me.  So I just turned on my iPod and watched some MLP to take the focus away from the other passengers and the bumpiness.  If you do hit bad turbulence, to many people it will seem scary since everything is rocking and jumbling around, but there's nothing to worry about :)  Once you're above the clouds, or once you've gone underneath them during landing, it shouldn't be rocky then. 
So, yeah, make sure to bring lots of things to distract you.  Books, magazines, etc.  If you draw, then bring a sketchbook and pencil.  And I cannot stress enough how much being prepared helps!  If you know what you're allowed to bring through security and what needs to be put in your checked baggage, that reeeeeally makes a world of difference in how you feel whilst going to your gate, and, in turn, how calm you're able to feel before the flight. 
Also, if you can, get some gum to bring on the flight.  It'll really help if you need to pop your ears.  Of course, you can also do what NoPonySpecial says, and make yourself yawn :) 

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »
I was going to become a pilot but it got to be to much money, planes are SUPER safe.
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 09:53:52 PM »
I am always nervous about flying but once I'm up in the air it actually just gets boring! Bring stuff to keep yourself occupied :) If you have an MP3 player or anything, that's the best thing to have in my opinion. It's also less scary at least for me if I show up to where I have a good hour to sit around in the airport... it's so boring that I just get excited to be on the plane already :P Plus you get to see everyone else who's going on your plane- there's always plenty of totally relaxed people to make you feel more comfortable, and then there's always that one person who's over dramatically nervous who makes you feel way better about your normal nerves xD
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal