collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Planning to move, anyone form Canada for advice?  (Read 589 times)

Offline Malancaiwen

• Celtic pony
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Planning to move, anyone form Canada for advice?
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:05:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are trying to plan our future (yeah big thing... I guess it's a lifelong thing right?)

We considered my country at first but the more we think about it, the less appropriate it sounds. Both of us speak english, he's chinese, I'm french, going to a native english speaking place sounds great!

Our plan would be to buy a house within 2 or 3 years. Of course we will travel to Canada to see what place we like better but we both seem to love Nova Scotia: forest, sea, big spaces, all we love! Looking a little more online, people living there talk about how expensive life is :/ Is anyone here from Nova Scotia?

What other places would you advise to a young couple, going to have kids, who are not afraid of big emply spaces, love nature and the sea?

I'm open to PM or anything.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Planning to move, anyone form Canada for advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »
I love Nova Scotia!  I've only visited but it's so beautiful.

Places can be expensive, but you also have to consider quality of life as well.  There are ways to live within your means just about anywhere in this world (except San Francisco, haha.) I've never heard that NS was a particularly expensive place to live, but I never looked into living there.

Emigrating to Canada is probably the trickiest part.  A lot more people have experience with it than I do, but I know several folks that have posted here before who've made the Canadian move.

Good luck at any measure!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »
Please get an immigration lawyer if you want the process to be as simple and expediated as possible!  That's all I can recommend, and they have helped quite a few people on the Arena that I know of, including myself.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »
Never been but good luck on such a big move!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline sunnydaze

• Trade Count: (+99)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 11:55:27 PM »
Wehn I lived there I loved it!  but that was in the 80's and 90's...I understand things are more expensive now but that is a country wide thing...

I know we have a few members from those parts on here hopefully one comes out of the woodwork!

To see my customs and art click my deviantart gallery

Offline Malancaiwen

• Celtic pony
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 02:10:44 AM »
Thank you all for the advice!
Didn't think about the immigration lawyer, that's a good idea! I made some contacts online and with me being french, seems like the procedure is not too hard, just very long but well... I'm used to waiting now ^^

I'm now looking at schools and the whole educational system. I just fear schools might be far.

I feel that Canada is cheaper than France when it comes to real estate. We both dream of a peaceful life, sit on the veranda, listen to the wind and all (yeah we might sound like grandparents here!)

Offline RainbowWindy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+315)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 05:54:05 AM »
Not far from Nova Scotia is New Brunswick, which is a bilingual (French and English) province and is near the sea too. (I'm a bit partial to it since my mom came from there.) The Maritimes are beautiful - I really loved Prince Edward Island when we travelled there.

I think expensive is a relative term. Compared to the US, Canadians pay more for things since we are a large country with a tenth of their population. But compared to Europe, Canada is cheaper when it comes to gas and real estate.

I'm now looking at schools and the whole educational system. I just fear schools might be far.
It depends on where you plan to live but schools aren't usually too far away. They usually have good bussing systems.
EBay Sales ~~

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »
I'm not too familiar with our east coast, I was about 8 when we went out there. I do remember lots of seafood, and when we were in NS on Cape Breton, from our hotel/cottage we could see a TON of stars and could clearly make out the Milky Way. It was awesome. :)
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 10:39:58 PM »
I've actually never been to Canada (ok once, but I was a baby so it doesn't count).  But from what I hear, it is a lovely place.  Good luck!

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »
Haha, sorry, but reading your description, it sounds that Iceland would also be a great place for you :P

It's funny because the dream you and your husband have - is the same dream I had a few years ago, and now I´m living it :)

Obviously, since my husband is actually Icelandic things have gone pretty easily for me.

I don't want to clog this thread with irrelevant info, but if you are by any chance interested in Iceland, don't hesitate to PM me, because, while it's not an English speaking country, you can completely get by with it (I don't really know Icelandic myself yet).

In any case, fingers crossed for you two, and all the best :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Malancaiwen

• Celtic pony
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »
Ok you've done it! Now I'm hesitating again!

Definitely sending you a PM ;)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »
Never been on the east coast but I do agree with alot of whats been said.

I dont think schooling will be an issue..thats something we are always good about.

Best of luck hun <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 06:21:06 AM »
I live in Nova Scotia, born and raised :) I absolutely love it here. It's beautiful, and I don't believe I'll ever leave it (though I do want to move outside the city, closer to the ocean). My boyfriend is French/Acadian, and we plan to retire in his home village, Meteghan (gorgeous beaches, such an allure! If you're not afraid of empty spaces, that area of the peninsula might be just right for you, too lol) Please let me know if you do visit Halifax :D It would be great to have a cup of tea or coffee with a fellow Arena member ^.^

oh, PS- Meteghan is a predominantly French/Acadian settlement, but many of the people there speak english (and/or what's known as 'Fringlish' ;) ) as well. I don't speak French so well, myself. My boyfriend doesn't have the accent that his family has for some reason, but he helps interpret for me when necessary when we visit the area ;^^ I've never lived anywhere else, so I really can't compare on expense of living costs, but I find $700/month reasonable for the upper half of a house we're renting now. I work part time, my boyfriend works full time, and we get by just fine... eat well/live well. We're nowhere near purchasing a house yet, so I can't touch on that end of things for you. All I can suggest is to hunt around for areas you like, and maybe look at real estate listings? I personally would go for somewhere outside of Halifax, despite the fact that this area is the best spot in NS for pony shopping XD I grew up living in the country side, and would love to return to that life one day.

PPS last edit, I swear!- you might also consider New Brunswick- also heavily bi-lingual and beautiful! My boyfriends sister and her husband raise their daughter there, and they really love it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 06:44:48 AM by Whellu »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal