collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread  (Read 32892 times)

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
Re: Monster High Glue Seepage Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »
I broke down and bought tea tree oil today to try out, this stuff has wonderful results. Now my house smells of tea tree oil, while it drives my husband nuts I love how fresh my house smells and how lovely Toralie & Lagoona's hair feels.  <3 I'm a happy camper now. :)

Yaaay! :D That stuff is just fantastic! ^^
But yeah.. when BF came home later that night he was all like 'WHAT'S THAT SMELL-- NASTY!' LOL. I admit I told him I used it for my skin, tho.. he hates the dolls enough already, cannot tell him they're the reason our bathroom smelled like tea tree heaven for a whole night. xD

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »
I broke down and bought tea tree oil today to try out, this stuff has wonderful results. Now my house smells of tea tree oil, while it drives my husband nuts I love how fresh my house smells and how lovely Toralie & Lagoona's hair feels.  <3 I'm a happy camper now. :)

Yaaay! :D That stuff is just fantastic! ^^
But yeah.. when BF came home later that night he was all like 'WHAT'S THAT SMELL-- NASTY!' LOL. I admit I told him I used it for my skin, tho.. he hates the dolls enough already, cannot tell him they're the reason our bathroom smelled like tea tree heaven for a whole night. xD

I've used it on my skin - it makes a nice astringent.  I've also added a drop or two to hot salty water and swished it for a toothache.  I used to have some awesome shampoo with it as well.

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »
Just want to pop in to add to the love for tea tree oil! It worked beautifully on Frankie :) My boyfriend also insisted on being the one to was her hair with dish soap too, which I thought was cute. She's his first (and last, he insists) doll and he wants to be the one to take care of her :'D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »
So my Rochelle is showing signs of the glue seepage, so I'll be getting my first bottle of Tea Tree Oil and try to wash her hair and scalp with it. (Maybe even try the Syringe idea myself to see if that would help. :P)

ETA: $10 Aprox for a 1 .oz Bottle?!?! Does Tea Tree Oil Shampoo work just as good as the oil itself??

Can I see what bottle of TTO you guys bought? I don't wanna end up getting the wrong kind or anything and possibly make the whole situation worst. I'm just paranoid like that. >,>;

Also:
Ever since Rochelle's release: Who else, after her, has had a case of the glue seepage flare up?? Just curious. Any signs from Venus or Robecca? My Venus doesn't seem to have it. Anyone mention anything about Jinafire/Skelita having the seepage problem ever since they came out?
Maybe someone has some kind of info on this.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 12:37:27 AM by LuvlyMelody »
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2013, 01:38:01 PM »
Resurrecting this thread for some glue seepage questions...

What causes it? Humidity? Heat? Cold? Over-brushing or over-handling the dolls?

I have about 70 dolls, plus I've had plenty more pass through my hands and I dont' think I've ever encountered glue seepage. What am I doing right? I can't possibly be just lucky. I want to know what's right in my apartment so I can make sure to keep it constant!
I don't handle my dolls a ton, if that's what contributes; mostly I just display them, but sometimes I redress them and such.

Frankie Stein

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2013, 03:13:57 AM »
Resurrecting this thread for some glue seepage questions...

What causes it? Humidity? Heat? Cold? Over-brushing or over-handling the dolls?

I have about 70 dolls, plus I've had plenty more pass through my hands and I dont' think I've ever encountered glue seepage. What am I doing right? I can't possibly be just lucky. I want to know what's right in my apartment so I can make sure to keep it constant!
I don't handle my dolls a ton, if that's what contributes; mostly I just display them, but sometimes I redress them and such.

Strangely enough, I styled one of my dolls hair and it started seeping >.< But one thats been untouched started... I know it cant have anything to do with humidity. I think it just happens when it happens :P One doll that I boil straightend the hair started >.>; Needless to say I don't mess with the hair anymore. So for me... Its been handling the hair that started it for mine mostly. And possibly boiling water for one.
Stay lucky!

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2013, 03:23:53 AM »
I think someone asked how to get the glue off their clothes maybe earlier in the thread and Mattel replied that the glue could be washed off with warm water. I used to wash all my dolls with warm water to get the 'helmet head' gel out though and none have been affected so far... so no clue.

How I usually keep my dolls:
- Out of direct sunlight
- Temperature I can't really control, so the dolls end up withstanding conditions of ~40C during some hot summer days however this is dry heat
- I wash them once to be free of the gel, comb the hair and then usually leave it for display. Some of the older dolls were washed in warm water, now I wash in cold water whenever possible.
- Most of my dolls are Indonesian
- The one time the house flooded I moved all the dolls into the car boot until everything dried out, even though the room they were stored in was not affected and they did not get wet.

I'm starting to think it's pot luck as to those dolls that will develop it or not... but that washing with warm water may trigger it early.

faunabay

« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2013, 08:19:23 AM »
I'm having issues with one of my Rochelles.  Her hair is yucky oily and clumping together.  :(  So first I just washed it.  Didn't help much.  Then I tried the tea tree oil.  Still didn't help much.  I was getting ready to take pics and see if any of you had any suggestions but decided to try washing it one more time with ALOT of shampoo.  It seems to feel better wet this time.  I'm waiting to see how it turns out once it dries. 

I do have other Rochelles so I know this one isn't just the different type of hair.  I'm kind of stumped.  Again though I hope this last wash has done it.   If it doesn't I'm going to be taking those pics and ask for suggestions. 

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »
In regards to what causes glue seepage, I think it entirely depends on the glue curing in the head of your doll. I have accumulated quite a few dolls that are showing seepage, and there are quite a few that I never even washed when I got them. I live in a humid area, but it's been super dry all winter. I don't play with their hair all that much. I think some just don't cure properly and you're going to have trouble regardless.

As for Rochelle, faunabay, sometimes glue treatment can take a few times. When I use tea tree oil, I wash first, then apply tea tree oil to the scalp. Let it sit, add some shampoo and wash out (then conditioner). Then I repeat with the lower parts of the hair. Repeat if still gluely when dry.

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »
Throwing in another question(s):

would having a dish of full the tree oil with a couple of doll heads soaking in it make a difference??

Since it's like 2 oz per bottle (and $10 per bottle >,>) do you keep the oil for future use? or just wash it out all together and just buy another bottle? I'm assuming, since it's that small quantity, you could may as well use the whole bottle and do a bunch of dolls at once and buy another bottle when needed.
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

faunabay

« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »
Throwing in another question(s):

would having a dish of full the tree oil with a couple of doll heads soaking in it make a difference??

Since it's like 2 oz per bottle (and $10 per bottle >,>) do you keep the oil for future use? or just wash it out all together and just buy another bottle? I'm assuming, since it's that small quantity, you could may as well use the whole bottle and do a bunch of dolls at once and buy another bottle when needed.
This is a great question.  Because if I need to do more than one treatment per doll that could get kind of expensive in buying the tea tree oil.

Thank you for explaining more though Catlein.  I thought I either had a problem child (doll)  :biggrin: or wasn't doing it correctly.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
I thought I would mention this..

I took the hair out of a Scaris Clawdeen today. When I was taking the glue and hair bits out, I noticed something odd. The glue inside was crusty dry on one side, but tacky and waxy on the side that had been against the rubber. The feeling is the same feeling as in the hair of my Lagoona with seeping glue. I checked and sure enough. Both dolls are Indonesia.

I think the glue never properly dries 100%. It is more of a waxy substance. I am willing to bet that heating it in any way, or handling it too much causes the glue to bread down and begin to seep.

Anyway, those are just my observations.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2013, 03:40:33 PM »
Just thought I'd leave this here. Someone on tumblr bust open a Lagoona head...

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
o dear lord, it looks like her brains exploded inside her head and this is an autopsy! >,<; Where was the incision made?!
My Flickr Page

| For Sale | Wanted |

Bj-Lydia

« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
Okay, today I was cleaning my shelves and rearanging my dolls, than I noticed that 3 of them have this glue seeping problem.  :shocked: Basic Rochelle, and basic werecat twins, both of them. I heard other people talking about having this problem with Rochelle, but I didn't see this stuff with the twins before, or I just missed it  :huh: (And I think my GB Clawdeen is starting too) The funny thing is, I got them about a year ago, and the summer was hot, but nothing happened...why suddenly now?? I didn't change anything, not their places, I don't even play with my dolls.
All 3 have glue seeping on the bottom line of their heads, where the last rows of hair is. I kinda managed to clean the glue off with a paper napkin, then brushed it. It's not the best, but I can hide the place since it's in the back of their neck and shoulders. -_-
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:46:41 PM by Bj-Lydia »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal